Normal Topic Potholes Warming Up!! (Read 4035 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

Potholes Warming Up!!
04/12/04 at 03:07:49
Quote Print Post  
For those who like to fish the holes,

Water level down 5 feet from last year. Water temps running 57-63. Water clarity stained to 2- Ft visibility. Fished two days in different areas that I normally fish and found some fish. Its going to be an interesting Open since I spoke to many regulars who hadn't caught squatt for two days. Hope my fish stay put or grow in greater amounts, because 16-20lbs a day will be no problem if they stay. The lake will also fish small since most of the bays are high and dry.

The Beaver hut patterns stunk.

Good Luck at Silver,
Russ

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: Potholes Warming Up!!
Reply #1 - 04/12/04 at 22:50:48
Quote Print Post  
Russ must have them pinned down.  I fished the Res for three days last week and had a very difficult time locating fish.  All and I mean ALL of my typical spring locations are Hi-N-Dri.  Very depressing to see.  Not sure why, but some locals are saying work is being done on the dam and won't be filling until after Memorial Day.  Not a big deal, but if it continues to drop at the rate it is going, it could be devistating on this years spawn.  Not a nice thought after Potholes has worked so hard to come back to a desirable fishing location after many years of difficult fishing.  I would at least hope that the levels stabilize a bit very soon.  Did find fish in a completely different location than I am typically fishing this time of year.  Not 16 or 20 lbs, but I did manage a 5 + on a hut.  Depressing, but I will be there.
Kirk

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/13/04 at 01:08:22
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

Glad you found a fish on a hut. I fished over 20 huts and didn't find a single fish on them. Yes the Dam is being worked on and they won't fill it until after Memorial Day. Not sure how it will effect the spawn. The fish we found all look great and look like they are ready to go. I new when I got to the ramp that my stuff was all high and dry and didn't bother to hit it. So I went looking for new stuff and got lucky and found something like I have fished in years past that had a ton of fish on it. The only question is whether Bob and I can pull two limits off of it.

Good Luck to All WBC Guys This Weekend!!
Kick some Bass!!!
Russ

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/04 at 02:59:07
Quote Print Post  
Russ,

I get a week off next week (April 26ff) and am heading for the potholes for a couple of days.  Is the water expected to rise still?  I only get over there once a year - any tips?  Are we still a couple of weeks away from the largemouth really turning on - or will there be plenty to fish for already? 

I was thinking of hitting the smallies early in the morning during low light, and moving into the dunes when the sun got up mid morning.  I'm thinking slow lures like slugo's might be better than reaction bites from cranks and spinnerbaits.  All guesses - am I anywhere in the ballpark?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/23/04 at 03:49:33
Quote Print Post  
Hey Chuck...last I heard it is scheduled to start rising on or around memorial day...hope it does'nt throw off the spawn too bad...they had to do work on the spillway or something.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #5 - 04/23/04 at 11:40:38
Quote Print Post  
Hey Chuck,
 FYI, the pond is coming up very fast.  Some reports we heard from the "locals" was that it will be back where it should in 10 days from last Sat.  It came up a considerable amount during the open.  You should have no problem loading the boat on the 26th or later.  Another FYI, both 1st and 2nd place (nearly 70 lbs combined) caught their fish in deep water willows at the entrances to spawning areas which suggests to me, start there and work your way in.  They'll be there, and you'll find them.  Good luck Bud!!!!!!  RON Grin

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/23/04 at 14:40:45
Quote Print Post  
You will be lucky to have normal pool by the next two weeks on the holes. They only raise the lake by 6-10" per week. And with it being 6 feet down, lets do the math-7 weeks to full pool if your lucky.

The good news is that no matter where the water levels are the temps are getting warmer. And we all know what that means.
RB

IP Logged

HOPSING
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/23/04 at 15:36:48
Quote Print Post  
Chuck,

I was there on Monday and Tuesday and it seemed pretty full, with a lot of water moving  in. Of course, I've never seen it full pool, since I usually fish it in the fall. However, I got blown off the dunes by mother nature, did manage 1 Lg Mouth out there. I also caught 3 smallies and 2 Walleyes on cranks by Goose Island. I also caught 1 smallie in the Lind Coulee arm.
Not bad for my first time to PH in spring.
Call me if you need anything else - 425.238.7610

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/01/04 at 14:43:16
Quote Print Post  
Well, I spent three days on Potholes and had a great time!  Didn't catch any big ones, but consistently caught 3 to 4 pounders (largemouth).

First day the wind was howling - couldn't get on the water until 3:00 in the afternoon.  Because the wind was blowing I couldn't find the light colored bottom I was searching for in the shallows so I concentrated on the few existing dunes still out of the water.  Each dune has a deep side that went into water 10 to 16 feet deep.  Believe it or not - plastics got me no where.  It wasn't until I backed way off and threw crankbaits that I nailed fish!  And here's the surprizing thing - I caught just as many nice walleyes!  Hit the rock damn on the way home and picked up 6 smallies. 

The second day was my first full day there - and the wind died down and it was like glass.  None of the spots that worked yesterday worked today.  But I was able to find a few of the spots I was looking for yesterday.  Unfortunately some of the best spots were still 6 inches above the ground.  (Another bass angler said they were planning on raising the water until Memorial Day - we'll see.)   Had a blast sight fishing - but I broke off a lot of fish.  Gotta get rid of that small mouth "thinkin" and move up to heavier line!   It was beautiful day - but I spent a lot of it just moving around getting to know the place.  A couple of beaver damns held fish too.

On the third day I only had until noon to fish, but because I knew the lake (better) and where to go, I did amazingly well for the few hours spent on the lake.  I don't have one, but I can sure see how a GPS would save a lot of time on a lake like that!  (I actually got turned around once and had no idea where I was.)  I started the day off by belly hooking a 12 pound carp - ten minutes later I was able to net it and got my crankbait back!  I found a few more great spots, and now I can see that guys who spend some time on the lake have a real advantage over those who just show up at a tourney!  After three days on the lake I feel pretty confident I could put a nice limit together.

It sure was nice change from Lake Washington!

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/01/04 at 20:20:11
Quote Print Post  
Way to go Chuck,
Glad you found some fish and learned a thing or two about the holes. It is quite different when you use GPS. You don't waste any gas looking for a spot you found the day before. I s***r by mine, its great to have. Could'nt live without it.
Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo