Normal Topic OUCH...THAT HURTS! (Read 2631 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

OUCH...THAT HURTS!
04/06/04 at 20:44:35
Quote Print Post  
I just got the report from Nixons and well........it aint good!
I have to wait for a new Power Head as mine got fried when a Piston went bye bye.......
Good note....ALL ON WARRANTY....WHEW!!!!
So another week or so........
All winter with little or no fish and now that the weather gets nice..........GRRRRRRRR.......
:
Tongue Tongue Tongue

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: OUCH...THAT HURTS!
Reply #1 - 04/06/04 at 21:04:02
Quote Print Post  
AACK!!  That ain't good! 

Crap Larry, that's terrible news.  Sorry to hear about it.  Any ETA on the fix?  Fast I hope!

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/06/04 at 22:51:10
Quote Print Post  
Be sure Gary determines the cause of the failure or it may happen again.  I suspect that hole went lean, but why ?
Just my 2 cents...

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/06/04 at 23:04:57
Quote Print Post  
Good thing it's on warranty!! I know exactly how you feel Larry, though I'm a little shocked that such a new motor fried so soon, it's not as if you are constantly rushing around at 90mph!!!

I hope they discover the cause.

For those of us who have non-warranty problems like yours, I have found a great little shop that is dedicated to reboring, resleeving and powerhead rebuilds...... Outboard Crankshaft Company in Shoreline, just a couple of miles from my place.

They have just resleeved and rebored my #1 cylinder, honed the other three to match, rebuilt and decked the damaged cylinder head, and obtained all the replacement bearings, pistons and rings and gasket kit in four days!! And their prices for parts were hundreds of dollars less than anything I found online!!

If you have problems that require that kind of service, Dan's your man at 425-744-0626.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 04/07/04 at 01:25:30
Quote Print Post  
Geez, it's like a revolving door around here - one up, one down!

Faz, sounds like you found exactly what you needed.  Thanks for passing the info along.

Pat, Larry - just a hunch, but I suspect a clogged injector.  Seems more common than you think with new engines.  I understand no make or model is immune to it.  I've heard of some engines blowing with less than 10hrs on them.  Just the nature of the beast.  Undecided

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/07/04 at 01:44:51
Quote Print Post  
Glad to hear Merc will be covering ya, Larry. See ya on the water soon!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/15/04 at 18:26:39
Quote Print Post  
So Glenn, what is a good thing to do to prevent any clogging in the injectors? I would hate to see anyone else go down. Maybe we should start a maintenance category to give pointers on maintenance for members to refer to.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #7 - 04/15/04 at 19:54:24
Quote Print Post  
Well, I'm no expert, but sometimes I pretend to be one!   Wink  (ya, ya, I know....)

I'm not sure how to prevent that from happening, but personally, I use "Ring-Free" in every tank, plus I use Stab-il in my gas if I know I won't be burning through it in less than a month.

Premium grade motor oil probably wouldn't hurt either.  I use Yamalube, which is a synthetic/oil blend.

This is probably a good topic for a speaker at a meeting.  I think we had an outboard mechanic come in last year, or the year before, and his talk was quite informative.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/15/04 at 21:33:51
Quote Print Post  
Using a good grade of fuel that has an adequate detergent package such as Chevron, Shell, Texaco, Mobile, Exxon is a good way to start.  All of these companys fuels contain dertgeant additives that are basiclly the same as the concentrate you purchase from your marine dealer to "decarb" an engine. A good clean grade of oil that meets TCW 3 specs is another.  With oil and fuel you have the 2 most important contributors to powerhead failure, as both contribute carbon residue into the combustion chamber.  This carbon eventually breaks free and can jam a ring preventing an even amount of lubrication from reaching the cylinder walls.  The heat builds up and Vola!! Shocked  A destroyed powerhead.  The use of synthetic oil which does not have carbon based stocks and the regular use of an additive like Ring Free, Sea Foam, Carbon Guard or Kwick Kleen goes beyond the normal recomendations from most engine companys in the prevention of carbon build up.  A plugged injector which does not allow the fuel-oil mixture  to reach a given cylinder results in excessive heat and Viola!   ShockedYou know the rest.  The question is what plugs up those injectors? ???  Well it can be dirty fuel, water in the fuel, or oil that has gelled up or for some other reason clogged the injector.

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo