Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fishing in Renton area (for an outa-state-er) (Read 5171 times)
FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Fishing in Renton area (for an outa-state-er)
03/12/04 at 00:34:06
Quote Print Post  
Hi all! I'm new to this board and have gotten a lot out of other forums.

Heres the deal. I may be coming up to Renton for the summer and of course theres one deciding factor - the fishing! Ive looked around and it seems you guys have some goo bass LM and SM, which makes me very happy.

Since Lake Washington is right there, is that  a good lake for bass? Pretty popular? Im in SoCal so Im used to different types of lakes than in most areas i guess and a salt angler originally.  In summer do you guys get the bass in the shallows to where you can sight fish? Hows the structure and contour of the lake? Whats are some popular summer techniques?

And lastly, is shorefishing effective on lake WA, or are there rental boats at least?

Oh, and one more thing, would any kinda of partial summer membership in the local clubs be possible?

Thanks so much for the info.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Re: Fishing in Renton area (for an outa-state-er)
Reply #1 - 03/12/04 at 03:59:18
Quote Print Post  
You should be pleasantly surprised by the quality of fishing in this area.  The bank fishing isn't super good but you should be able to make enough friends here so that won't be a problem.  I am not aware of any partial memberships but most clubs (including ours) in pretty inexpensive. Lake  Washington and Sammamish are both outstanding lakes that give you any style of fishing you could want.  There are a number of smaller lakes in the Renton area that a little car topper with get you on some nice fish.  I'm sure that you get a few more posts here.  Hope to see you.

Doug

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/12/04 at 17:37:16
Quote Print Post  
Just the response I was hoping for.  I hope things work out so I can come up there and show you guys how we do it in Cali!

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/13/04 at 05:18:53
Quote Print Post  
FlyinFish, you must be the guy (?) that posted on GYCB BBS and I replied with this forum url? First, you gotta understand that we don't have shad, but we got rainbows, sculpin, crawdads, yellow perch, sticklebacks, etc. Don't expect 8 lb LM every day. But if a $35 annual membership doesn't put you off, a full membership could start very soon, and maybe you could attend a meeting or tournament before summer.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/04 at 05:27:56
Quote Print Post  
  You've got to be kidding ff77? Allow me to laugh, HA. Thankyou!
   In order to show us hows it's done in (what did you call it?) Cali...you need to be in ''Cali"...So when you just get yerself up here to Wali, we will just have to take you out and show you how it's done here Shocked...and you'll go dang! we have it good in Cali with hot tub ready water...and we'll go yup! Cheesy  Wink
   Come on up and lets go fichen!

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/13/04 at 18:42:03
Quote Print Post  
OH ITS ON NOW! (BTW, yes this is "tady45" from the GYCB forum)

If you havent noticed by now, I'm a salt angler. Go look up Tady lures.  You could say Im a "slimer", not as in trout but as in barracuda... But anyways, I just took up freshwater to keep me busy the rest of my year. 

Now dont go thinkin Im a little spoiled CA-ian with 10lb bass jumping into my boat on $50 swimbaits.  Im a rental boater.  That means me and my dad, bangin around those steep walls lookin for a lone branch to tie up to so i can finesse my dropshot without being blown away by the 30mph castaic winds.  And it always that much better when the guy with the $40k Ranger fishing a tournament has to ask me what Im using and if he can take my spot cause hes in a tournament!

The real danger lies in the fact that Ive got so much skill, it outweighs my lack of extensive freshwater experience! Haha, anyways, Ill stop now, but hopefully things work out and I end up coming up there.  $35 is no problemo, if thats wat it takes to have a whole club of people to amaze, haha.

Tite lines all, and Ill let you guys know when I found out.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/14/04 at 02:17:44
Quote Print Post  
We'll take you to our favorite restaurant...."The House of Humble Pie"  Grin Wink

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/14/04 at 02:55:59
Quote Print Post  
Oh, now I can't wait to meet surfer boy!  Shocked

It's on... SON. Welcome to the Northwest, SON!

Just kidding, look forward to meeting you someday.

Chris

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/14/04 at 06:48:28
Quote Print Post  
CheesyWOW, wonder who opened up that can o worms? (slimmer bait ya know) Just one more question, "problemo" is that from south of the boarder? or north from the south boarder?... Undecided
Ps guys...we better be carefull, sounds like this city slimmer...um, I mean slicker, can take it, and he just might come up here Shocked.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/14/04 at 19:27:36
Quote Print Post  
Darn,  I can just see VW wheelin' down to Coulon on a gurney just to show this youngin' what we got.

Rich

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/15/04 at 06:23:59
Quote Print Post  
Haha! Man you guys are getting worked up.  I guess you get tired of hear 'bout how much bass we kick down here.  But I think I may have set myself up here, cause, I'll be honest, freshwater is not my primary style of fishing, yet that is.  Ive only been bass fishing for like 3 years I think and saltwater for around 10, and bluegill since i was 4, haha. 

I garauntee I can keep up though.  I havent exactly mastered all the millions of bass techniques, but i got dropshotting down pretty good... if i could only have the g loomis dropshot rod! Man that thing is sooooo sweet it hurts! The tip and backbone are just amazing! But $235! But I just cant hold out much longer. I already dropped about $400 at the Fred Hall show on salt gear.

But since we're on this, what techniques are most popular for summer time up there.  Im sure dropshotting is all over the place.  What else? Whats your primary setup, other than dropshotting, in the summer?

Oh, and hows sight fishing up there?! We got gin clear water with 20ft of visibility at Castaic Lake and man its fun just watching the big females.  Around when do the Lake WA bass start spawning or pre-spawning?

Tite lines, and hopefully Ive havent set myself up too badly.  But if by any chance you guys get some barracuda or yellowtail off the coast, then I can really show you what Im  made of...

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/16/04 at 16:38:32
Quote Print Post  
  Undecided Larry?   What happened to this guy...he aint no fun anymore...did you take em to your favorate resteraunt?

FF77 Pretty much like Cali, plastics, spinnerbaits,cranks, skippin docks, top waters are my favorate. If you want to get more specific, come on back ya hear 10-4?

Oh ps. did anybody mention we have freshwater yellowtail and barracuda in lake Wa?  Awesome in July!

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/16/04 at 21:25:15
Quote Print Post  
Flying Fish, we should probably tell you the VW takes medication and occassionally it affects his judgement especially with the extra time on his hands.  If your willing to bring some of that sun down with you, to help knock off some of the glare off of Virgil's white legs (tan?).  I think you'll enjoy all the same techniques up here as well.

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/17/04 at 02:36:10
Quote Print Post  
sounds good.  I wish I could bring the sun with me, you guys are scaring me with this weather business.  If it goes below 65 Im running back to CA.  It should be illegal for the temp to drop below 70...

Now you guys got all the good plastics up there or do I have to bring some up with me.  Are you fishing the banjo minnow from walmart? Im sure you've got roboworms, but ill have to adjust colors. What are your favorite roboworm colors? Ill have to stock up on some yammies too.  Maybe Ill bring a big ole saltwater swimbait, cause im sure theres double digit bass in your lakes, you just need a Californian to come and catch em for ya!

Tite Lines
(boy am I setting myself up)

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/17/04 at 02:44:01
Quote Print Post  
Hey Fly Fisherman,

Ya know there is plenty of 8-10lb fish up here you just gotta figure out what of many lakes you have to fish.

Lets just say the following have 8+ lbers in them:

Silver Lake
St Clair
Desire
Sawyer
Goodwin
Morton
Ohop
Potholes
Banks
Columbia River
Spencer
Lawrence
Etc, Etc, Etc.

Now yuo just have to figure out how to catch them.

Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo