Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bananas & Boats? (Read 4123 times)
Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Bananas & Boats?
01/22/04 at 00:34:28
Quote Print Post  
Hi Everyone, I was hoping someone out there knows the urban legend, myth or superstition behind having bananas on boats.  I've heard stories of guides and captains making people take their bananas out of their lunch before boarding their boats.  Thanks,  Doug

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Re: Bananas & Boats?
Reply #1 - 01/22/04 at 03:22:01
Quote Print Post  
Doug,  I found this site but who knows...lol

http://keywestcharterboats.com/nobananas.html

Rich

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #2 - 01/22/04 at 03:31:51
Quote Print Post  
It is, in fact, a widely-known superstition.  As to it's origins, hard to tell.  Rich's link seems just as good as any.  I've also heard that the oil from a banana repels fish - but I haven't heard of any scientific studies to back it up.

Bottom line - throw some salt over your shoulder, toss a coin in a fountain, and carry a rabbits' foot.  That wards off any bad luck from bananas!

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/22/04 at 03:45:50
Quote Print Post  
Here is something else...

The story is that many, many years ago a sailing ship entered port with supplies bound for a fishing fleet. Among the supplies were bushels of bananas. After loading their supplies the fishing boats raised their sails and headed for the open ocean, unaware that the banana bushels were infested with black widow spider nests. Many aboard did not return alive!

Henceforth, bananas have been considered taboo on sailing and fishing boats, and became associated with bad luck. It is forbidden to have bananas on board!

Rich Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #4 - 01/22/04 at 13:57:00
Quote Print Post  
In regard to Glenn's post about warding off bad luck;  I've always found that a
very liberal internal application
of Canadian whiskey and water allowed me to totally separate myself from any care or concern regarding the presence of bannanas on my boat. Tongue

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/23/04 at 05:54:34
Quote Print Post  
Well the R.&D. Dept. of the Western Bass Club has been working on this problem and has found that liberal application of "V-Factor" (Taking Virgil Fishing...)  on your boat will remove any oily residues, Ancient Miyan curses or bad luck brought on by the presence of Bananas on your boat. Unfortunately it has some side effects as in.....
Will remove any chance of catching fish....(we said it would remove bad luck....not make you catch fish!) 
will remove all single women,
will result in severe flatulance,
will......... aw heck...........why go on.....

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/23/04 at 06:00:29
Quote Print Post  
may you step on a bananna peel with my signature on the back of it Kiss

IP Logged

Rainyday
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/30/04 at 05:18:19
Quote Print Post  
New here, I have fished lake and rivers in West. Wa.  Just thought I'd say that this discussion is hilarious.  Will stay tuned for more of Larry vs. Virgil.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/30/04 at 15:11:26
Quote Print Post  
Welcome aboard the boards, Rainy Day.  Quite an appropriate nickname for around here.  By the way I think you should meet Larry.  I keep hearing him say he is saving himself for a "Rainy Day"! Shocked (Sorry Larry, butt it was there)

Hope to see you at the monthly meetings.  When you do attend look for the short guy in the corner.  That will be me.

Rich

« Last Edit: 01/30/04 at 20:25:44 by Admin »  

IP Logged

Rainyday
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/04/04 at 20:43:32
Quote Print Post  
I don't know if I will be able to make it to any meetings, Rich.  I don't get out much besides fishing and work.  I do like to fish tho.  Good one on Larry.
Rainy Day

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/05/04 at 05:06:21
Quote Print Post  
any one on Larry is a good one...you atta try it sometime, your going to have to work hard to come up with a new one because we have pretty much thrown everything at him....good guy tho...we'll keep em! Undecided

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/15/04 at 04:57:26
Quote Print Post  
Sounds like Larry S. + Rainyday = Jack & Jill Tournament Team.  A match made in Forum?  Wink
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo