Normal Topic Fish in lakes (Read 2462 times)
Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Fish in lakes
11/06/03 at 14:56:34
Quote Print Post  
Does anyone have a list of lakes that we have fished for fish ins and how far people are willing to travel for a Fish-in/ freeze-in?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Fish in lakes
Reply #1 - 11/06/03 at 18:43:23
Quote Print Post  
Several criteria to look at for winter fishing....

1). Deep water. Having the availiability of nearby deep water can help place fish where you can find them and a nicely tapered grade I feel would be best so fish can move up or down depending on season.

2). Humps or other topographical variance. Humps and/or Plateus offer the opportunity for fish to rise above prey and scout around while having the convenience of deep water escape plus several feet of elevation change can offer some temperature change. Something to remember...with erosion the harder a surface is, water and wind will erode to the path of least resistance so a hump most likely will consist of rock or other hard pan bottom which we all know is a friend-O-fish.

3). Moving water or inflows. Fish will be directed to the origin of current and say you are fishing the Cedar River inlet of lake Wash. you should throw baits from lake to river to simulate natural bait movement...thus effectively targeting their feeding habits.

4). Weed beds. Any edge weather it be weeds, rock or even muddy water is an Ambush advantage and any predator should take adventage of it.

5). Structure. Back to the Ambush subject.....to be able to hide behind something and rush out undetected is the basics of hunting and your ability to utilize this in your fishing can eliminate alot of useless water.

These are just some criteria to help us in the decision making process and at times luck and water popularity is warranted as "Where do the Largemouth go in Shallow Lakes?" Deep water can be 8ft versus 6ft. and no fish can go all winter without eating.

The perfect spot?......I would say a hump at say 30 ft. with a crown weedline and rock tumbles on top and sides..........seen any of these on your fav. lake?
All these factors should be present to give folks the best opportunity at a successful Freeze-In so find the lakes with the most of these criteria and you should have the lakes you need....as for the drive...."If you can catch it...they will come!" getting positive fishing reports...even if from other clubs can only help!....just a thought.See ya on the water!
« Last Edit: 11/07/03 at 05:19:02 by »  

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/11/03 at 03:05:27
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Larry
Very informative
Jim

IP Logged

topjimmy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/12/03 at 07:38:19
Quote Print Post  
jim    the  first fishin I ever did with the club was at
        silver lake  I  think it was march ,be creative
        people will follow . Mason lake ,long lake
        goodwin for those who live in the great white
        north  watcom ,big lake+little lake if you can
        find it  Grin   it has always been the ferllowship
        that i have enjoyed Grin

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/13/03 at 02:51:49
Quote Print Post  
Lake Wash., Sammamish, Big Lake, Goodwin, even, Lawrence, Spanaway and Long lake in Kitsap..........but Sawyer is mine!

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/07/03 at 03:36:26
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
jim    the  first fishin I ever did with the club was at
        silver lake  I  think it was march ,be creative
        people will follow . Mason lake ,long lake
        goodwin for those who live in the great white
        north  watcom ,big lake+little lake if you can
        find it  Grin   it has always been the ferllowship
        that i have enjoyed Grin

Nix the idea of Whatcom. In fact, a lot of lakes in Region 4 are closed from the end of October to the first of April. Real good idea to check the DF&G booklet for closings. C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo