Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mickleson Memorial? (Read 9182 times)
pays2no
Ex Member

Mickleson Memorial?
10/09/03 at 01:43:30
Quote Print Post  
Is anyone going to represent WBC at the Puyallup Hawg Hunters Mickleson Memorial this Saturday?  I think after "picking the brains" of Larry and Bill and concentrating on their "hot" spots with their "secret baits" (with their blessings of course), someone just might surprise some of the big boys.

I will not be able to attend unfortunately this year, but would be interested in hooking up with someone next year and give it a go.

Larry and Bill are you going to step up a level and put a licking on those Lake Washington smallies again?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Mickleson Memorial?
Reply #1 - 10/09/03 at 02:16:34
Quote Print Post  
Our next excursion will be to hunt down the elusive Grand Slam Perch and some-o-his buddies for the fry pot! But good luck to those at the "T"

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #2 - 10/09/03 at 02:48:14
Quote Print Post  
Wish I could!  But I'll be in Spokane.    Embarrassed

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/09/03 at 04:06:18
Quote Print Post  
I would but I'm fishing the 100% bass "T" on Sunday with Champ 206.

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/09/03 at 21:35:36
Quote Print Post  
Smitty-
I hope you and John receive full livewells from the fish gods. Cheesy

Bob

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/10/03 at 01:31:21
Quote Print Post  
Team BBBBB (BIG BOYS in a BIG BASS BOAT)will hopefully rise to the occasion. Grin  Those are big livewells in that BIG BASS BOAT though. Undecided
thanks for the encouragement.  Looks like the weather may be a bit damp that day too. Tongue

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #6 - 10/10/03 at 03:14:11
Quote Print Post  
Hey WBC,
  My friend, Jim and I will be giving Saturday a chance.  He has never fished in a tournament and we're running out of options this year.  I'm going to open the flood gates and ask you guys to give him some pointers.  (No  smart remarks about finding another partner or anything like that.  I realize it's hard to not crack a few at me, but give him a break.  You can mess with me all you want.  By the way,  he's reading all your comments and he stands 6'4" and weighs in at a healthy 260.  I'm going to thank you in advance for your help and apologize for the Smitty(s) out there.  Have fun, we will.
                             Wink  (DA PREZ) Grin

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/10/03 at 14:00:03
Quote Print Post  
Hhhmmm...after not getting a fish last week all I can say is DO
NOT
use Bubble gum (pink) or chartruese worms.  Even though it does get a response out of the "captain" (Hope none of my friends see that) it is only for Roosevelt Lake Grin

Then get a BIG subway sandwich and sit down with Larry and pick his brain.

Best of luck and wear your WBC stuff....Rich

IP Logged

BillBrynteson
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/10/03 at 15:06:56
Quote Print Post  
Hey Jim

Plastics (grubs vertical jigged or cast and twitch back,  carolina lizards or senko's, bitsy bugs with twintail trailers, fished very slowly in 20 feet of water outside the weedbeds and just beyond the perch schools.

The bite will not be rapid, but it can be very productive.

I do not know your level of experience, but always think in terms of slow, slower slowest.  If you think you are fishing slow....slow down!!   Grin

Best of luck to both of you, I wish I was out there with you'all

BillB

This weather we are expriencing will have dropped the lake water temperature a degree or two and the fish will be hunkered down so be patient and just tell Ron to smoke another cig if he gets antsy!!! Wink

IP Logged

GotSix, Jr.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/10/03 at 15:23:08
Quote Print Post  
Mr. Palzer,

Nice of you to join us all the way from Fairbanks!  Wink

There is a great lure I've been using out on the lake that involves pantyhose and a pear.... uhhh, never mind that!  Shocked

Seriously, just be prepared for a slow bite. Considering the good spots that Ron will take you to, the fish that do bite should be good quality! Whatever you do, don't:

1) Let Ron convince you to run halfway up the lake for largemouth on french fries

2) Let Ron start throwing a crankbait when the bite dies, and

3) Let Ron convince you that all he wants to do is go "speeder" in his new boat  Grin

You have to babysit that guy!!! That is job one. I can't believe he thought he could post what he did and not expect to get comments like this back. But, you have been babysitting him for how many years now??? Should be easy for one day.

Oh - and for the sake of Pete, do NOT tow the Skeeter up to the ramp with the Hummer. If you guys don't have a hefty bag at weigh-in and you are towing with a Hummer, you will never hear the end of it!

That is all the important stuff. If you wanna look good, ya gotta back it with BEING good!

You don't need any tips from us, though. You already have an excellent teacher in Ron. Do what he says, and you guys'll be a'ight.

Catch a fat limit!!!

Chris

P.S. Do you know what time weigh-in is? I might head down and check it out...

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/12/03 at 03:38:38
Quote Print Post  
Okay, I do'nt see any results here............some of you fished it.....come on......lets hear how ya did.....

IP Logged

Jim P.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/12/03 at 07:44:41
Quote Print Post  
Ladies and Gentelmen,  First and foremost, my apology for the long winded message.  I promise this will be the longest one I will ever leave.

Larry,

"Well" didn't you hear?  Not getting any replies by now must be obvious.  The fish "WELL" was empty on Ron's boat (Except for the Lipton ice tea.  It's kinda nice, fill those big bass boat wells with ice and they keep at lest a case of beverages cold all day and a neat little pump pumps all the water out at the end of the day.  Can I get one of these on my ski boat?).  

I was depending on the guy that has worked with me for 11 years and is my neighbor and is the current "Prez" of the club to fill me in on a few things for my first tournament.  My god, couldn't we have at least landed ONE BASS?  Noooooooooo, it was PERCH all the way.  It's wasn't a PERCH tournament was it ! ! !

Here are a few more observations from the "Newbie" about Ron.  

When Ron says;

1.  "I'll See you in the driveway at 6:00 am" really means "I'll be knocking on your bedroom window at 5:30 am and I'll wake not only you, but also your wife and kids".  Yep, my wife was up for the rest of the day too.  What a joy it was to get ready to go fishing with my wife on my back for getting woken up so early.  Ron, isn't it bad enough that you leave for work at 6:30 in the morning during the week and wake her up with your truck warming up for ten minutes outside our bedroom window?

2.  "I'll make a pot of coffee and bring a thermos" really means "I'll make the coffee and bring the thermos but I forgot it on the kitchen counter" after we are almost to the boat launch.

3.  "If you want to bring lunch that's ok but I usually don't bring anything" really means that after we are done racing up the lake to the "perfect" fishing hole Ron says - "What the hell are those bananas doing in my boat".  Next time tell me bananas are bad luck ! ! !

4.  "It should be a good day of fishing even though it is towards the end of the season" really means that after about six hours of fishing for PERCH Ron says– "Oh, I forgot to tell you that Bass don't bite as well when it is cloudy, raining, the temperature is dropping and the FULL MOON was last night".

5.  "When we go fishing you can't be interrupted because your really have to concentrate and work those fish in order to catch them" really means "Crap, I left my cell phone on the dash of your Hummer" Wasn't that nice of Ron.  I got to talk to his girlfriend FIVE TIMES because she would call MY CELL PHONE to talk to him because his phone was on the dash board of the car.  (Shanne, No harm intended, just a little dig at "Ronny".)  

6.  At the end of the day when all was said and done and we were on our way in to the dock Ron had one last bit of professional advice for me.  "You know Jim, I am actually kind of glad that we didn't catch any fish during your first tournament because if we had you would have gone to the next tournament with the same high expectations".  The good news is that it is true, if I go to the next tournament and get ONE FISH I will be very happy and that will be my NEW LEVEL of expectation . . . . .

Chris, thanks for the tip of not using the Hummer to tow the boat to the lake.  Unfortunately, we did use the Hummer.  The good news is that at the end of the tournament we had NO FISH in our fish wells so we were able to go straight to the ramp and pull the boat out of the water and HIDE IT while EVERYONE ELSE was at the weigh in.  

Larry, if you're ever looking for someone to go fishing with you give me a call.  I'll be in the driveway at 6:00, pay for the gas, pay for the parking and launch fees, bring two thermoses of coffee and lunch. . . .  That is if I can catch at least one Bass . . .

Jim

(Admin note - fixed all the coding errors to make this easier to read.)
« Last Edit: 10/12/03 at 15:27:59 by Admin »  

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/12/03 at 14:56:10
Quote Print Post  
As they say......The president is mostly a figurehead of the REAL operation.....Thanks for keepin it real Ron....HE HE HE HE...Reality though..sucks dude..

IP Logged

GotSix, Jr.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/12/03 at 15:06:57
Quote Print Post  
JIM... OUCH! I am on the ground laughing right now! I wanna see Ron follow up on that post!  Shocked Roll Eyes

It sounds like you had a typical first tournament experience. Welcome!

Regarding other results, Lyle L. and Brian W. were out for the Mickleson as well, weighing in around 7.91 pounds (?). They just missed a payout by about .25 pounds. The winners only had a little over 13 pounds, 2nd was around 12, and the other two under them were 9+. Tough fishing! Even the team of Petrotski and Brush blanked... you know fishing is bad, then.

As I sit here writing this, I am feeling sorry for the guys out on the 100% BASS tourney. The wind is blowing HARD, and the rain is coming down. I sure would like to be in a 21' Champ if I was fishing today  Grin

Good luck!
Chris

IP Logged

Jim P.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/12/03 at 15:40:00
Quote Print Post  
I must have been sleep deprived last night and I missed one thing.

In all seriousness, Ron is one hell of a fisherman and very patient.  He really took the time to show me the ropes of fishing all day and put up with my million questions. 

It was truly a fun day and well worth being out there.

Ron thanks for letting me fish with you instead of taking someone that is well seasoned in the sport with you.  Hey, maybe you would have even placed in the tourney if I was not there.  Goes to show you that Ron is a true sport.

Jim

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo