Normal Topic Columbia River, Lk Sakajaweha (McNary Pool) (Read 931 times)
SMITTY
Ex Member

Columbia River, Lk Sakajaweha (McNary Pool)
08/31/03 at 12:41:50
Quote Print Post  
Hit the launch at McNary Dam on the Oregon side and had the Red Snake streaking Eastward at 0830.  Within 10 minutes I was about 12 miles upriver and settling down off of pad at a rip-rap bank near Hat Rock Marina that has treated me well in several "T,s" over the years.  Today was not the day for that bank Sad as I tried a succesion of reaction baits and then slowed down with plastics.  Off on plane and upriver again for about 4 minutes to Warehouse Beach and some of the sumerged rocks.  A Carolina rigged Yamamoto Lizard in watermelon w/red flake quickly got the 1st SM Bass to the Snakeboat from about 12' of water. Smiley  Staying with that bait and occasionally switching to a Strike King Mini Tube-Liz in watermelon w/black flake kept my Shimano V-Series rod curved in a parobolic arch for the better part of 3 hours. Grin  The fish were located on the channel side of the rocks in the down-current position.  Anywhere from 8'-15' would find them until the sun got quite high.
Suddenly the bite turned off immediately and I was left wondering where they went.  i figured they must have quit pulling water through the turbines at Mcnary.  I switched to the upriver side of the points and started catching a few small fish, but with only dink bites for the next 1/2 hour, it was frustraiting.  A large towboat and barge train passed setting up the typical 3-4 ft. rollers that rock any boat considerably and -Volla!! Cheesy the larger fish stared to hit swimming grubs and small crankbaits in about 10 ft near those rocky banks I had just fished with no luck.  It was then a matter of following the barge for about 3 miles and hitting similar banks.  
By 1530 it was time to leave and head on to Mechem to spend the night with old & dear freinds Steve & Georgina.  Having had a GREAT day fishing Cheesy with lots of fiesty SM's to play with, I counted the day as another succesfull day of river fishing.  the largest Sm was about 3 lbs. but only two were under 12 inches and I must have caught an realeased over 20. Roll Eyes

Smitty Wink
« Last Edit: 09/01/03 at 13:23:20 by »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo