Normal Topic Idaho Fishing? (Read 1555 times)
Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Idaho Fishing?
08/13/03 at 03:52:01
Quote Print Post  
I'm taking my family to Lewiston Idaho to see my relatives next week.  I have the boat along so I was wondering if anyone know of some good spots to fish around the Lewiston/Clarkston area?  Unfortunately I'll have to miss the Roosevelt tournament but I'm making a few stops on the way.  Thanks!!

IP Logged

pays2no
Ex Member

Re: Idaho Fishing?
Reply #1 - 08/13/03 at 15:06:14
Quote Print Post  
Doug-
My wife is from the Lewiston-Clarkston area and I have fished this area a tad bit the last 10 years when we are visiting family.

A lot of small fish but some absolute enourmous ones in there also.  I was last over there  Fourth of July weekend and caught one that was 5 lbs from the shore.  There are lots of little places to fish off of the shore so fishing from a boat isn't always necessary if you don't have time to launch the boat and have only an hour or two to fish.

The best places I know of are all up towards Hells Canyon or upriver.  It gets pretty swift and rocky up there so most likely you won't be able to venture that far up with your boat. 

I would recommend however driving up to the Grande Ronde if you have time and fish from the shore.  There is some excellent fishing along there.   There is a road that runs right along the side of it and you can pull off anywhere along the road and start fishing.  Just make sure you find some good current flowing by some rocks on the shore and cast out a 4" black grub with a chartruese tail and let it swim slowly by the current break....Hold on tight because not only will you be fighting the fish, but you will be fighting the current....big fun!

A couple places you should do pretty well from your boat will be the Snake River/Clearwater confluence area.
Fish by the blue bridge and surrounding areas.  Work this with a dark green tube with orange fleck.  That was an incredible bait for me.  The orange fleck I believe helped a great deal because the shore was littered with crawdad remains and they all were very orange colored.

Another area that I caught a lot of fish was upriver from this area about a mile or two.  It is down towards Asotin. There is a  small point that sticks out a little bit from shore that has a Pumphouse attached to it on the Washington side. It has some current flowing by it and that is where I stuck the 5lber and some other nice fish.  Another way to line this up would be to find the road or turn that goes up to Quail Ridge golf course.....It's lined up with perfectly.

If you wan't anymore info. just give me a call and I would be glad to share it with you.  Have fun over there.  We'll miss you and Caleb at Roosevelt.

Bob

p.s.  Black Sheep Sporting Goods in Lewiston might also be able to give you some good tips while your down there...check it out if you have time.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/13/03 at 16:15:26
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Bob, I print this out and check them out.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/26/03 at 08:43:23
Quote Print Post  
Snake River Fishing
First of August, I was over at Pullman for my 40th HS Reunion,  went down to the river at Wawawai, and also drove down to Boyer Park, to see what it was like. Boyer is quite a drive down the switchbacks, but looks like a good facility, and I know they have T's out of there. From Lewiston-Clarkston, Wawawai would be an easy drive along the river road. Good launch and dock facilities. All the roads are paved now. I fished a bit from shore, but got hung up (DS) in the rocks, and just fished weightless Senkos. Caught a lot of small Smallies, so there must be some good ones around.

By the way, "Wawawa" was the original Indian name for the place, a conference area. "Wa" means "talk", so the name translated "talk-talk-talk". The white settlers added the "i" to the end. One syllable is typically not pronounced, so it is said just like Hawaii, but with a W to start. Sorry, I just read a book about the area.

There is a nice little park at Wawawai with campsites, right at the base of the draw. Didn't look to see if there were hookups for electricity, etc.  When I was a kid, we fished Asotin creek for trout. I would expect the mouth to be a good spot to fish for Smallies. Also at the mouth of the Grand Ronde; I recall there was a  boulder about a cast out from shore, and I caught some fish off of it. That's a beautiful area. I love canyon country!  C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo