Normal Topic LAKE SHASTA-"HOT" (Read 1608 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

LAKE SHASTA-"HOT"
07/28/03 at 23:13:56
Quote Print Post  
To All,

Just came back from Lake Shasta and man was it Hot.
When we arrived it was a scalding 112 degrees. However, here is the report:
Boarded the house boat on friday the 18 and returned on the 27th. Caught about 80 Kentucky Spots. These fight better than Smallies. Caught only 12 - 2+ lbers and lost one around 4-5lbs. man if you want to have some great Top water action this is the lake for you. Caught all my fish except for two on the top-Spooks,Skitter Pops, and Torpedo's . All my fish were chasing Shad in over 150ft of water. Guys if you ever get the chance to have a blast this is the ticket.
Russ

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Re: LAKE SHASTA-"HOT"
Reply #1 - 07/30/03 at 12:43:38
Quote Print Post  
Dittos to all you said Russ.  Cheesy  This lake is just plain FUN to fish.  It has become one of my favorite destinations to fish either for fun or in a "T".  The neat thing is the Kentucky action is virtually year round.  Two years ago during the pre-fish for a tournament down there, I also managed to catch several LM and SM along with the typical three dozen Kentucky Bass.  This was during the cooler month of October.  It was still shirtsleeve weather, and not cold at night.
I have fished both Shasta & Oroville as late as mid November and never worried about how cold it was, but rather if I had enough Spooks and Tango Dancers in my tackle box!  Grin

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/30/03 at 18:13:01
Quote Print Post  
Sounds Great Russ,

Capital City Bass Club is setting up a little tournament for members to go to Shasta and have a tournament sometime during the months of  Nov- Feb. They are going to bring it up at the next meeting to see how many people would be interested. I know there is about ten people who want to go already.
I was thinking that we could do something like this also. We could find out what it takes to get a permit in California. We could also consider Clear Lake. This could be a great off season trip, with the chance to catch large fish. It could be setup far enough in advance so people could schedule time off or vacation time. The drive is really not that bad.
Just thought I would mention what some other clubs are doing.

Daryl

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/30/03 at 23:25:26
Quote Print Post  
Daryl,
I know that when I was in the Kent club several of the members would fish Lake Couer D Lene for an outing of fun for a week. Clear Lake is to far its 870 miles from my house and Shasta is only 589. I would love to see more people make the opportunity to fish this awsome body of water. Fall is best from what I have heard from several local fisherman. Never stuck a largemouth there the whole week. I caught about 6 smallies, b,ut the rest were ,Spots. They have several good campgrounds or house boats would be the best that way you could spl,it all the costs. We stayed on a ten sleeper and pulled my boat behind it. We saw several people pull two to three bass boats behind there house boat. A 10 sleeper in the fall rents for about $2100/week. Not bad considering hotel costs and the split between all those who go. Summer it rents for $2700/week.
Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo