Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is Your Favorite Line? (Read 23750 times)
Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

What is Your Favorite Line?
06/24/03 at 21:51:06
Quote Print Post  
I know I have asked this before but its a new season and I can't remember what everyone said.

I have been using TRILENE big game and hate it,
also not a big fan of FIRELINE on baitcasters or knot strength. And I have used RAPALA with little success.

What works for you and why do you like it?

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: What is Your Favorite Line?
Reply #1 - 06/24/03 at 23:09:57
Quote Print Post  
I have tried them all.  From superlines, spiderlines, firelines, docklines, kite string, weedeater string, dental floss, you name it I have tried it.  I have concluded that I am sticking to my old school roots.  I like mono.  It gets it done for me.  I have been using Bass Pro Shops Excel in the CLear BLue  for about five years and it has performed as well as anything else.  It is value priced, ties good knots, abrasion resistant, and best of all, I can SEE it on the water.  Old age is the pits.
KH

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/25/03 at 00:05:51
Quote Print Post  
My current favourites are one of three basic lines:

6-8lb Maxima Ultragreen, very limp and great for skipping.

6-8lb Maxima Chameleon, very abrasion resistant for draggin stuff around.

10lb Silver Thread Excaliber for crankbaits, spinnerbaits etc.

I am experimenting with two different heavy lines for pitching, flipping in heavy cover:

40lb Berkley Gorilla Braid on a baitcaster. (40lb to get some thickness on the spool) - I like it but it still catches on itself now and then.

25lb Gamakatsu G-Power, I have not used it for long but I quite like it.

I too have tried McCoy, Isorline, Stren, Trilene,  Fireline, Whiplash and several other brands - and I'm not saying these choices of mine are any better, I'm sure the others are mostly good product or they wouldn't sell well but I FEEL MORE CONFIDENT with my choices than with the others.

I guess what I'm saying Jim is - find lines that feel right for you and stick with them as long as they feel right.

Just my sixpence worth Roll Eyes

IP Logged

safecracker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/25/03 at 01:06:06
Quote Print Post  
Until recently, Maxima Chameleon 8-10 lb was my favorite. I had been using it for many years with great results.
But I've found Yo-Zuri hybrid line surpasses it, by far. It casts great & lays on the spool smooth. And it's strength-diameter is very good. I use 6 lb for drop-shotting, 8 lb for most other situations, and 10 lb for pitching large plastics to cover.
The Gamakatsu co-polymer is a close second; I've just starting using it, but it seems to handle about the same as the Yo-Zuri.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 06/25/03 at 02:26:04
Quote Print Post  
I like the co-polymers.  SilverThread AN-40 and flourocarbon-coated P-line are my choices.  

Tried G-power and Excalibur but their abrasion resistance was something less than desirable.  

AN-40 costs about half as much as the P-line, but the P-line casts better.  Line memory seems to be less of a problem with the P-line too.  But, I'd rate AN-40 a "Best Buy" overall, as the extra cost of the P-line doesn't seem worth it to me.

Jim, you're going to get just about as many different opinions as there are anglers in this club.  That should tell you that most lines are pretty good.  The key, then, is to find a line that best suits your "style" of fishing best.

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/25/03 at 14:07:49
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys,
I think I am just going to have to buy a few samples and try them doing different things

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/25/03 at 21:01:15
Quote Print Post  
Glenn hit the nail on the head with his comments about what suits your preferred style best, and discussions such as these are what makes this forum awesome.  It helps folks become better anglers in a much shorter amount of time.  Kudos to all keep up the fine work.
KH

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/25/03 at 21:10:40
Quote Print Post  
Ok,
Auburn loves me now I just bought 6 different types of line and they are:
Yo-Zuri Hybrid Camo green .011 Dia 8lb Test
McCoy Mean Green  .011 Dia 8lb Test
Berkley Vanish Clear .010 Dia 8lb Test
Original Stren  Clear Blue .011 Dia 8lb Test
Trilene XL Smooth Casting Clear .010 Dia 8lb Test ( I used Big Game before)
and
G Power Smoke .009 Dia 8lb Test

Now comes the fun part            ----Fishing----
Actually I am trying to come up with a way to give each of them a fair test.
I started with them all being 8 lb test and I am planning on using them all on spining rigs, I guess I should also use them on the same rod and reel or do you think it matters?

Any ideas? has anyone done this before?

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/26/03 at 02:42:34
Quote Print Post  
I have an idea, Jim... Spool up the McCoy and return everything else for a refund! HA!

My personal favorite is McCoy, but like Glenn I have also enjoyed P-Line a lot. P-Line CXX (green box) is some of the toughest line you can throw on a baitcaster.

Just get out there and start throwing what you bought. You will find what you like very soon, and it will probably change as your fishing style changes. A little tip for your spinning line: After you spool the line, soak the spool in a bath of lukewarm water for about 5 minutes. This will take the memory out of the line and stop it from flying off your spool like new line tends to do... might save some headaches on the water.

Have fun,
Chris

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/26/03 at 13:44:35
Quote Print Post  
Undecided Thanks a lot Chris  Angry you go and teach "backlash" how not to backlash, what r we going to call him ???

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/26/03 at 14:27:46
Quote Print Post  
"The man formally known as Backlash...." maybe with a symbol or something...wadded up line would work.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/26/03 at 14:50:50
Quote Print Post  
Jim
  I too have tried many lines.  My current favorites are 8lb Gpower co polymer in smoke, 12lb mean green for spinnerbait / crankbait, 17 lb trilene heavy cover for throwing into junk, and I am currently experimenting with 24lb spiderwire fusion, for pitching,  25lb Gpower for Flipping stick.  I tried power pro, but don't like how it turns white after awhile in the sun.  I think the fish can really see it well in our clear water conditions.  But other than that, I really like power pro.  Just bought my first fireline here in 10lb and really liked it.
Mark

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/26/03 at 18:34:25
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys
have to go now I here some fish calling me!!!!
Ha ha

I love getting of work at 11:30am

GONE FISHIN'

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/11/03 at 04:32:31
Quote Print Post  
SmileyI've been awol for awhile, but still fishin' and still liking the PRADCO lines...got some of the new An40, also P.Line FlouroClear. I have not tried the An40 yet, but am about sick of the FlouroClear. It is 8 lb test on a 2000 Strada. Too wirey to suit me, but would be ok on a baitcaster, I think. I really like Excalibur on spinning reels and Super Silver Thread on baitcasters...a bit stiffer is a help there. They're both quite tough, too. Don't forget the Blakemore's Reel and Line Magic spray stuff. It works! On spinning reels, if you get a loose loop on the spool, loosen the drag and pull it out with the bail closed.  Yes, you have to look at the spool before every cast. But at least it's at arm length, where I can see. Old age does suck.  Cheezes, there's a lot of new members...I joined in '88, I think the same year as Glenn. C&R, Steve Helmick[color=Green][/color]

IP Logged

Larry G.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/13/03 at 01:23:05
Quote Print Post  
Gamakatsu's G-Power in 8lb test is my 1st choice when it comes to cranks, topwater, and Jerkbaits. basically  open water areas where abrasion is at a minimum.

Several years ago while working a sport show, I had the opportunity to test Gamakatsu's G-Power against Berkley Trilene Pro Select.
Using Berkley's knot and line testing machine and conceding a home court advantage, we did a head to head comparison.
First we tried Berkley 8lb line. Their prostaffer tied it with an improved clinch knot. It broke at 11 lbs each of the 4 times but always at the knot.
Next I tried the G-Power 8lb test, using the same knot, it broke at 10 1/2 lbs each of the 4 times, but never at the knot.

But when we measured both lines for diameter, we found the G-Power was 20% smaller in diameter.
For me the smaller diameter meant I could get my baits to run deeper then with a larger diameter line.
Over the last 5 years I have found I am able to throw even the smallest crankbaits on a  baitcaster reels using G-Power line.
Larry Gonczy

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo