Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Potholes! (Read 5167 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Potholes!
05/03/03 at 03:17:44
Quote Print Post  
Okay here we go to the Mecca of Washington's Bass fishing......(if you look at the weight totals from last year!) where an angler can go either way Largemouth...Smallmouth or both.
We do have some changes this year....
1). We are not staying at Sportsmans resort this year as we seemed to hold up the launch at Blythe far too long for others to use with the weigh-in.
So we will be going to Mardons where we can have the use of the dock to tie up boats and do an orderly exit from the lake.
2). With this change comes an issue where we have such a short time to set it up I have verbal reservations for 15 sites at Mardons Each group will have to call for reservations for there is a $25.00 amount required to make the reservation. (I did not have $325.00 handy to reserve them as a club) so the number is...
1 (800) 416-2736 and when you call or go online at mardonresort.com tell them you are with Western Bass Club and my name...Larry Sullivan and they can get you in the same block as the rest of us.
I will try to call as many folks as I can and I need the whole club to pass the word so everyone registers.
Remember...we have the full moon again on this tournament same as last year and the potential for some Hawgs is very good so lets get up for this one folks!
p.s. the sites are $26.00 a nite and a 20% discount for teachers/educators....firefighters-emts.....police and all military even retired but you must have I.D. to proove this to get the 20% off!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Potholes!
Reply #1 - 05/03/03 at 04:16:54
Quote Print Post  
Larry,
Only 15 spots?  That's not enough.  I would expect to see 40+ anglers from our club there. 

I just called Mardons and they said they're having a Walleye club there that same weekend.  That means we'll have to fight for the ramp in the mornings.

What happens after our 15 spots are filled up?  I asked and they said, "Well there's a state park you can go to...."

That, as you know, won't work because there's no power there, plus it splits us up.

BTW, I couldn't make reservations online because their form is broken, and the woman I spoke to wouldn't take my reservation because it was 5 mins after 10:00 and they close at 10.   She had a "take it or leave it" attitude to boot.

Not sure if we want to take it because #1, there's only 15 spots available and #2, we have to fight the Walleye club over the ramp.

I suggest you call Mardon and tell them to be a little more accomodating, or we'll take our business elsewhere.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/03/03 at 04:41:31
Quote Print Post  
Slow down ...slow down.....as it stands we have the avail. of 30 spots and if it looks like we need them in the next few days they..(Mardons) said they can get them for us so they are being accomodating.... and as for the Walleye guys....we will all have to launch and if it means we get up a half hour early to get launched then we do that...I will get in touch with their tournament director when we get there to work out the specifics.....its not gloom and doom time...and anyways some folks motel it in Moses lake also since Mardons has no motels avail that weekend.

IP Logged

Jfchoate1
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/04/03 at 17:32:52
Quote Print Post  
K I called and I got boat loop 18 or 19 that sound right?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/05/03 at 02:16:34
Quote Print Post  
All I know Jeff is it is at the drive thru spots I think they said at Mallard and Poplar   Roads they have within the camping area. If you mentioned my name and Western you should have gotten the right area.

IP Logged

BillBrynteson
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/05/03 at 15:18:26
Quote Print Post  
Hey Larry et al

Just got off the phone with Mardon and got a spot for Mark and I.  Just a note for anyone camping in a tent, I was told that these are RV sites, so if you are setting up a tent be sure you have a cot or good air mattress.  The ground will be hard.  Shocked

I talked with Mike Meesberg (old college buddy of mine), he says the evening water temps are nudging into the 60's, so with any luck we will be hitting the water right on time!!! Grin Grin Grin

BillB

Also, Glenn...I have the results from Duck Lake completed on an Excel spreadsheet, but having one heck of a time attaching it to the webpage, any suggestions.  You can contact me at 206-870-1165 or wnbrynteson@yahoo.com

thanks

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/05/03 at 20:23:08
Quote Print Post  
Larry,
Are you kidding me!! Mardon's has hardly any room for a 21' boat and their sites if buy the road is to tight for my rig. What was wrong with staying at the Sportsman and launching at the Dam. We as a club take no longer than anyone else. This is just going to split us all up.
The Sportsman is a better spot for all.
Just My Thoughts,
Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/06/03 at 03:43:36
Quote Print Post  
Hey Russ. Sorry I missed your call at home as I am on shift now and it is hard to call someone let alone stop the ambulance for 10 seconds!
Several reasons for the change....
Yes we did have some complaints about tying up the dock but this happens wherever we go.
Mardons has the tackle store a stroll away.
Mardons has shorefront access...for those who want to launch and tie up their boats........and for those who want to take their shot at some Trout! Yes I think that it is time we look back at spending time with the kids and allow dock-shore fishing from at least this venue....if all works well then maybe other venues but so many times have I heard folks want to go fishing from the shore and not be allowed to.......
Mardons has been making changes to their facilities and I think it is only fair that we share the opportunities with those who strive to improve thier facilities to better serve the fishing community.
So there is the reasons and we will see how it pans out and I am not saying that Sportsmans has done anything wrong it is just that Mardons has another approach we should explore.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #8 - 05/06/03 at 04:02:28
Quote Print Post  
Larry,
It sounds like you've put quite a bit of thought into this and have everything handled.  That's good enough for me.

Looking forward to it.   Cheesy

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/06/03 at 13:07:34
Quote Print Post  
I gotta agree with you Russ Cheesy, most of those spots in Mardon are too tight for those of us with longer rigs. Cry  There are only about 6-10 spots in the whole camp that I can back into and stay hooked up. Sad  Glenn, you'll really have fun backing in that big whale of yours.  Shocked I also liked the grass at Sportsmans and don't like the mosquito factor we usually find at Mardon.
Oh what am I complaing about, Lips Sealed I can't go anyway. ???  I've got a Shimano appearance at the Outdoor Emporium in Seattle on Saturday. Cheesy

Smitty  Wink

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/07/03 at 01:00:45
Quote Print Post  
Hey Smitty,

You just set the new WBC record for most "emoticons" in one message!!! LOL.  Grin Sorry that you won't be at Potholes.

Larry - one small idea. If you call the MarDon marina area off limits for the tournament, which happens at a lot of tournaments, then you won't have any issues at all about people fishing from shore. Just a thought. I think it would be nice to allow families to fish from shore.

Chris

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/07/03 at 23:21:03
Quote Print Post  
Larry,,
There is allways the Lind Coulee Launch for the morning-plenty of parking and room for boats when docking. I have also been in favor of after hours fishing from shore for wives and kids. Funny how this has come up again and that there is actual interest in it instead of un fair advantages for those who fish.
Also Larry please make the Medicare beach "Off Limits" again because those big smallies are easy to catch and would make it an unfair advantage to just a few boats that fish in there.
Russ

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #12 - 05/08/03 at 00:14:57
Quote Print Post  
What, Mardon's giant dock isn't big enough for you Russ?   Cheesy

Smitty, I agree that sportsman's has much better camping/parking facilities.  But both places have mosquitos.

Can't say I'm a big fan of Mardons, but, Larry's got a tough enough position as it is without us giving him grief - you outta know that better than most of us, Russ.

Let's just try Mardon's this time and decide what we want to do next year based upon this year's experience.

Larry, may I suggest moving forward not changing venues so close to tournament time?  Just seems to cause a lot of ruffled feathers.

I understand with the Jack-n-Jill you have no choice, but barring that, I think you'd make it easier on yourself by setting up accomodations for the rest of the tournament season right now.  That way, you avoid any last minute scrambling.

Just a thought.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

:DRe: Potholes!
Reply #13 - 05/08/03 at 14:48:32
Quote Print Post  
Hay Glen...You need to think about who were dealing with here... Undecided Larry...Larry isn't use to just making things easer on himself, He has this nasty habit of always thinking of others and the image of the club and its members. So what I'm saying is talk like that is a mute point.
   So Larry, we put you in this possion to do what you do best...taking care of us and the club....so make life easy on your self and we will make the best of whatever learning experance comes out way! Besides we all know that you need to concentrate on how to win this tourny Cheesy     V-DUB-YA

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo