Normal Topic Potholes Open (Read 2273 times)
sarge
Ex Member

Potholes Open
04/19/03 at 05:04:41
Quote Print Post  
Hi all,

Talked to Ron Hankinson on his cell phone this evening, and it sounds like him and Kirk have some good fish located for the open. I hope it all sticks together for them and falls into place. I'll talk to him tomorrow afternoon and give y'all the update on the tournament weights...

Chris

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Re: Potholes Open
Reply #1 - 04/20/03 at 06:46:40
Quote Print Post  
Hi all,

Here's the update:

Ron and Kirk caught 16.4-something pounds for a 6 fish limit, and it sounds like that will put them into the top quarter of the anglers. The lead team had 21+ pounds for 6 fish. I didn't hear anything regarding other WBC anglers, but I hope they are doing well, too.

Needless to say, I think this year's May tournament will be another good one!!!

Chris

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/03 at 17:15:38
Quote Print Post  
Well done, sounds like the action is beginning to turn on - roll on May!!

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/22/03 at 02:35:57
Quote Print Post  
Here's the final report from Ron:

Him and Kirk finished 27th, I believe, after being 7th on the first day. They finished with 9 fish for over 22 pounds, and it took 12 fish for over 44 pounds to win it! WHOO, SON! That's a lot of fish!!! Sneaking up on a 4 pound average...

Talking to Ron, it sounds like the cold evening Saturday night shut down their shallow largemouth fishing. I also heard that the winners caught their fish in open water back in the dunes on jigs... Hmmm, sounds like submerged beaver huts to me!

Are there any other WBC folks with Potholes Open reports out there???

Chris

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/22/03 at 02:43:55
Quote Print Post  
Way to go Ron and Kirk! I know you are bummed Angry but thats cuz you guys are such competitors! See ya at Duck! Grin Grin

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/23/03 at 22:40:59
Quote Print Post  
Well all who are looking forward to our Potholes tournament should get real excited. Mark and I caught only four fish on saturday for just under 11lbs and sunday could only stick 1. However, not all is lost because we marked 11 new huts on GPS and during the entire Potholes Open Tourney we saw over 30 fish in the 3-6+ lb range either on beds or cruising. The water level at the time of the tourney was down about 2-1/2-3 feet. The water master at the bureau told me that by the time of our tourney the water level should be 3 feet higher. We caught all of our fish on Senko's, Gitzits, and bacon Rinds. The water in Crab is cloudy while the winchester side is clear. I'm looking forward to this tourney because I think by the time we fish it it will take over 30lbs. to win it.
Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo