Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Honarary WBC member??? (Read 9615 times)
Rwfaz
Ex Member

Honarary WBC member???
04/09/03 at 16:34:47
Quote Print Post  
This pictures tells us everything we need to know about the prosecution of this campaign, perhaps the soldier is worthy of "Honorary WBC Member status". The caption on the picture reads:

Gone fishing
Pfc. Mark Bennett drops a line in the lake surrounding one of Saddam Hussein's palaces in western Baghdad. Bennett was using noodles from a chicken with noodles MRE as bait, but didn't have any luck.

Waddya think?

IP Logged

Skeptic
Ex Member

Re: Honarary WBC member???
Reply #1 - 04/09/03 at 16:59:14
Quote Print Post  
Definitely - Maybe an Honorary Board Member!!!

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/10/03 at 14:53:15
Quote Print Post  
CheesyFishing is fishing! It doesn't matter what mud puddle you do it in.
  I wish him luck, both in fishing and their endeavers overseas...you betchya we ot to give him something to come home to.
                        just another fisherman. vw

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/10/03 at 16:07:35
Quote Print Post  
From the look insignia on his helmet, he is a member of the 3rd Infantry division.  Why don't we send him a club hat and a patch? Roll Eyes

Smitty Grin

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 04/10/03 at 19:58:00
Quote Print Post  
Actually, I've been mulling this one over.  I think there is an opportunity for some national PR if we do this right.

Yup, we should present him with somthing (hat, honorary membership, etc), but done so "publicly".  That is, make sure the press is aware of it (all the "local" news and national - it's bound to hit the AP if we do it that way, resulting in it being picked up in hundreds of "local" papers nation-wide).

It'd be a win-win situation.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/10/03 at 20:42:01
Quote Print Post  
I'm with Glenn, this could be huge!  I think we should keep it about fishing and not politics.  Fishing when and wherever  you can.  Making the best of a bad situation.  Print up a certificate, patches, hats etc...
This might be the best advertising or publicity we can get.  I'm in for whatever it costs.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/10/03 at 21:41:25
Quote Print Post  
Looks like someone went and foulde up his fishin already.  Who owns a black boat with a Yammie?
Champ 206?

Smitty
« Last Edit: 04/11/03 at 01:13:56 by Admin »  

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/11/03 at 01:13:12
Quote Print Post  
Let me toss in what I have already been doing. I have already made contact with the paper in San Antonio Tx, where the first pics came from their photographer.          Photographers name is mark sobhani, he has been with pfc Bennett's platoon for a few weeks. He  knows what we want to do and that we are the oldest bass club in the US. He is in the process of/ tring  making contact with him or his leaders so we can make the conection.
   They also already know that if we choose to send him some kind of ''care pkg'' there it would only be hat and patches and paper work, or personal items he and or his "other guys" might need, nothing metal like lures or hooks. He said that that would fly if they are able to make contact with him again...?....not sure right now where he is.   Thats what I know. VW

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #8 - 04/11/03 at 01:16:33
Quote Print Post  
Great job Virg!  Keep us posted.  I'll put together a press release if we make contact and decide to move forward on this.

This is all pending board and membership approval, mind you.  So bring all the info you have to the next meeting.

Thanks!
Glenn

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/11/03 at 01:52:00
Quote Print Post  
If we need to strike while the irons hot,  we can get this through the board via telephone.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #10 - 04/11/03 at 02:03:24
Quote Print Post  
Good idea Doug.  The press may not be interested a week from now.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/11/03 at 05:13:29
Quote Print Post  
Sounds good to me, fellas  Grin Nice work! Pretty cool, in my humble opinion. (Smitty: LMAO!)

Someone should call the prez and pass it by him as well. I would help more, but right now I am trying to push the newsletter through this month...

Chris

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/11/03 at 06:47:31
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Virgil for taking the seed of an idea and getting it going, I think it is a great idea, and one way we as a club can show our appreciation for the risk and sacrifice these guys are making...

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/11/03 at 18:05:34
Quote Print Post  
I 've had that pic now for a week now , made a few ph. calls and put the seed down, thought no body would be interested, but I guess I was wrong, Thanks for the idea and kick in the butt. I think you guys that know what your doing should run with this, I'm not much of a PR person....Oh ps. pfc. B is from Georga. Have fun with it. vw

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/11/03 at 21:25:44
Quote Print Post  
Virgil, you got further than any of us did - don't stop now..... I never even thought of contacting the paper. Have we not heard anything back from the paper? Would there be any mileage in taking the idea to one of the TV stations covering the war and seeing if they can help?

My comments were not meant as a kick in the butt, more a compliment for taking the idea and moving on it. My problem is limited access to non-work related phones etc, our phone logs are monitored by accounts since some predecessors ran up huge bills calling loved ones all over the place...... makes it difficult for me to do much.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo