Normal Topic Techniques (Read 2775 times)
Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Techniques
04/05/03 at 14:36:46
Quote Print Post  
What fishing techniques are you your weak in, and plan to improve in this year?

I'd have to say deep-water structure fishing for myself.  Yours?

IP Logged

safecracker
Ex Member

Re: Techniques
Reply #1 - 04/05/03 at 15:35:23
Quote Print Post  
I'd have to say mine's the same as Glenn's. Most of my experience is on shallow structure and weedbeds. But I definitely want to learn how, and when bass relate to the deeper stuff. And what techniques to use on them.

John

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/05/03 at 22:48:57
Quote Print Post  
Mine would be Crank baits and spinnerbaits as when to use and when to switch. Got the basics just need to apply them to more situations to gain confidence.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/06/03 at 22:31:29
Quote Print Post  
Flippin is my biggest weakness, guess I'll be flipping anything and everything for a few months just to get the basic technique.... until I get the hang of how much weight it takes to get a decent flip without splahing down like an ICBM!!

IP Logged

kholmes
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/10/03 at 16:52:25
Quote Print Post  
I would have to side with Larry S. and say that I am always trying to improve my spinnerbaiting thought process.  In particular, during tournament events.  I find that I resolve to what has always "worked" when on the water during an event.  This I have needed to change.  As for Faz's comments, I would say that flipping and pitching is a strength, so I would suggest to Faz that it is more important to me to have a sexy and sultry fall rate to my baits than to worry about the splash down effects.  These effects will correct themselves over time and practice.  What is imprtant for me, is to study the rate of fall of the bait I am using and to be sure that I match up line size, hook type and size, wind conditions, etc., with the aggressiveness of the bite.  After catching a few fish, you generally can distinguish when the fish are taking the bait.  Is it on the initial fall?  Are they picking it up off of the bottom?  Are they suspended somewhere in the middle?  Considering all these things in the moment is difficult I realize, but I think that is essentially what distinguishes succesful and non-successful anglers apart.  I believe that under most conditions, flipping and pitching is a useful strategy.  Through all of this BS is a rule of thumb:  "The slowest fall that matches the conditions of the water and the aggressivness of the fish, always pays."

Kirk

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/10/03 at 21:17:14
Quote Print Post  
I side with Kirk and Larry. My reaction bait techniques struggle, and I often lack confidence in throwing spinnerbaits and crankbaits. Now, I know this isn't the case with Kirk, 'cause he can throw a Bandit with the best of 'em. I do have confidence in covering a lot of water in the spring with jerkbaits, but I would like to get more confidence with fishing quicker and covering more water when the bite is tough.

Chris

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/11/03 at 06:44:10
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the tips Kirk, I meant to say that when it comes to flipping, I am not very good at it because I haven't yet got the hang of the technique..... I love to pitch stuff and am getting better all the time - but I rarely flip stuff, this year I will do a lot more and will keep your tips in mind.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo