Normal Topic Wanapum Pool (Read 3665 times)
DanH
Ex Member

Wanapum Pool
03/24/03 at 18:52:22
Quote Print Post  
Anyone fish the Wanapum Pool for smallmouth?  I want to give it a shot but have no idea where to start (big area to cover). 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Dan ???

IP Logged

DanH
Ex Member

Re: Wanapum Pool
Reply #1 - 03/24/03 at 22:19:32
Quote Print Post  
By the way, Wanapum pool is from Priest Rapids Dam north to Rock Island Dam on on the Columbia River.

IP Logged

kholmes
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/24/03 at 23:57:02
Quote Print Post  
I began fishing this area last season.  I have found a few areas that hold good fishing, but am interested myself in finding more areas.  Get a good map and follow the 90 degree rule as there are a few areas of shallow water south of the I-90 bridge.  Don't fish these areas, as you may get hung up.  ALso be cautious around the I-90 bridge itself as this area has been know to eat a few baits as well.  The area near the dam and the state park is really bad.  Some days, I got hung up on every cast.  I hate that!!  If you have good batteries and don't mind the wind, throwing a rip bait along the east shore line can provide some good action for bigger fish, but in all seriousness, be extra careful in this area.  THe wind can create extraordinary problems if your equipment cannot handle it.  It is a total risk/reward proposition.  Good luck and I will post my fishing results on this site this spring and summer. 

Kirk

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/25/03 at 13:47:29
Quote Print Post  
Fished North of the I-90 bridge last summer for about 5 hours.  Once we got about 3 miles north, the wind that was howling at the bridge was not a factor. Smiley  I found several interesting areas and managed to cach 3 nice SM's in the 2-2.5 lb range along a shelf about 8 miles north on the west bank. Cheesy  Didn't have time to spend any longer, but it's worth the effort, even in the wind. Roll Eyes  Water level was quite low that day and launching in the high wind and shallow water at the I-90 launch was a chore. Undecided

Smitty

IP Logged

DanH
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/25/03 at 16:07:37
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the responses.  I have some property at Sunland Estates which is about 5 miles north of the I-90 bridge on the east side of the river.  I spent a good deal of time over there last spring and summer but didn't see more than a couple of fisherman (hence the question about fishing the area).

As for the wind, it can be quite severe and dangerous.  Most of the boats head for the ramps when it does come up.  Personally, I've found it best to get off the water when it does blow.  Although even retrieving your boat can be difficult when it is blowing that hard. 

I'm looking forward to seeing any reports on the area.  I'll post what I discover as well.

Dan

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #5 - 03/25/03 at 16:41:51
Quote Print Post  
I just say "no" to wind.  After Sprague, I'm not too fond of whitecaps.   Shocked

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/26/03 at 14:15:29
Quote Print Post  
Across the river from Sunland and slightly downstream is an canyon area that is used by the ranchers when they do their cattle roundups.  There is a huge flat in front of that canyon.  Try working that flat and also the breakwater that extends into the river on the north end of the ranchouse area.

Smitty Grin

IP Logged

DanH
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/16/03 at 16:39:05
Quote Print Post  
I'm going to give this area a shot this weekend.  Any suggestions as to what to use?  Is this about the right time of year?

Thanks!   Cheesy

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/16/03 at 20:20:41
Quote Print Post  
For the benefit of us novices out there, could someone explain the "90 degree rule" please?

IP Logged

DanH
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/27/03 at 19:05:49
Quote Print Post  
No luck this weekend.  I marked a lot of fish on the fish finder but no bites.  Any suggestions?   ???

Thanks,

Dan

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo