Normal Topic Water Temps (Read 2220 times)
Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Water Temps
03/13/03 at 02:07:03
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys,
Let's see if we can track the rising water temps as spring approaches.  It stands to reason the larger lakes warm the slowest, but I don't know of any study that actually shows the differences between small and large lakes - now's our chance!

The fronts moving through this week carry heavy rains and temps in the mid-upper 50's.  Overnight lows are in the mid-40's.  With water temps in the low 40's they're bound to start warming up - but how much?  How much "warm rain" really warms up a lake, big or small?  Let's find out!

Post your temp readings starting with the lake/date the last time you were out, and post it every time you go out.  Hopefully, we'll develop a log of lake temps that we can compare as the year progresses.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Re: Water Temps
Reply #1 - 03/13/03 at 06:07:34
Quote Print Post  
Glenn,

Here is a link to Lake Washington water temperature data:

http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/waterres/lakedata/LkWaS.htm

This data is from a King County buoy that sits just northwest of the I-90 bridge by Leschi marina. Sometimes it undergoes maintenance and they lose the data for a few days, but right now it seems to be fully operational. You'll notice that right now the water temperature in the lake is almost uniform from top to bottom, and it won't stratify until some time in June or July, I believe. When it does that, you will be able to see a thermocline on the King County graph which will show you how dramatically different the pH and temperature can be in deeper water.

Enjoy that link. There are a lot of other cool things to click on if you look around a bit. For God's sake, see what your King County taxpayer money is going to!!! HA! Grin

Chris

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #2 - 03/13/03 at 14:39:12
Quote Print Post  
Chris,
I am fully aware of that site as I've been visiting it for a couple of years now.  It's pretty cool.  Has info on Lake Sammamish as well.

However, both are "big" lakes.  I think it would be interesting to see a comparison between small and big lakes and the rate at which they warm up under the same weather patterns.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/14/03 at 00:24:40
Quote Print Post  
Alright... never mind then!  Tongue

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo