Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The importance of Insurance (Read 4861 times)
SMITTY
Ex Member

The importance of Insurance
02/28/03 at 14:38:46
Quote Print Post  
There has been an on-going discussion for the last 6 months concerning a trial for a fatal accident that occured during a tournament.  Here is the link to the post that discribes the final settlement.  Reading this gives one strong cause to think about the liability potential as well as how quick something cna turn from great fun to sheer horror
Very sobering! Sad
http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/other_topics/T29006.htm

Smitty

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Re: The importance of Insurance
Reply #1 - 03/06/03 at 08:02:47
Quote Print Post  
Good Reminder. To bad about the loss of life. Great point Jim about the liability. I know I've brought it up to the club before about insurance and was told WBC didn't need any because the individual carries it. Even showed them the articles from the ABA newsletter concerning liability insurance and how the officers can be sued. I said they were wrong but who am I. Just a fisherman. I went through this a few years back when I was on the board at Sumner Sportsmans Club. We took out a $million dollar liability policy. Something to think about if you're going to run for a board position.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #2 - 03/06/03 at 13:09:32
Quote Print Post  
????    When I was on the board we had liability ins. I think it cost the club something like $600 per year.  You're saying now that's changed?

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/06/03 at 13:46:23
Quote Print Post  
I'm not sure if the club still carries liability or not. ???  It did when I was the treasurer.  I was trying to illustrate is how quickly individual policys can be exhausted in certain liability cases.  In other words, $300,000.00 may not be enough for an individual on his private boat, even for a sanctioned and covered tournament. 
For example the guy who ran over Dana Ingal's Panterra last year on Lake WA., was not the owner of the boat.  He is still in the hospital and a total cabbage brain.  He probably will always be a cabbage until he assumes room temperature.  In the meantime, the boat owner, a passanger at the time,  had no insurance at all.  The boat owner is on the hook however, for the hospitalization charges, not to mention the replacement of Dana's Bass Cat, which was totaled. 
The point is that responsible boaters (or watercraft operators), should review their coverage and make sure they have enough coverage for any contingency.  Three hundred grand is probably not enough. Shocked

Smitty

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 03/06/03 at 14:15:48
Quote Print Post  
Umbrella insurance is the answer.  It picks up where the 300,000 ends.  However, if you have umbrella ins., then you can drop the liability down to 100,000 because you're still covered under the umbrella ins.

So, I'm assuming if you bring your boat ins., with a copy of your umbrella ins. to Mr. Tournament Director, you should be set for the year. 

Can anybody confirm this?  Larry?

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/06/03 at 14:48:24
Quote Print Post  
Umbrella insurance is correct!! Go to the head of the class Glenn. Cheesy  Working in the Risk Dept. of the City, I deal with this stuff on an everyday basis.  However, I did not wish to mention the term for fear of being asked to go into detail on umbrella coverage. Lips Sealed  Folks who read the link I provided would have seen that term several times. 
There are several types of "umbrellas".  It is best for boat owners to consult with their agent in order to craft an insurance package that bests suits their individual family and lifestyle. Smiley I would not think that it is important to reveal the amount of addtional coverage to the "T" Director as long as the minimums proscribed by the club are met. Undecided

Smitty (who carries umbrella coverage through his homeowners policy)

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/06/03 at 18:54:48
Quote Print Post  
Okay, well this position is quickly losing its "fun appeal" and as for looking into this it begins with the next board meeting and will be handled by the first tourney as we are not going to operate without some resolution....now, we are set for the season as it stands it is just how far does the club want to go....Each angler is required to care for their insurance as in individual and provides proof of said insurance. The club assumes no responsibility for the angler from the get go with the liability waiver on the application.....with that it sounds as though we now need to contact an Insurance Attorney to discuss what can be done and should be done by the club, and by the individual to make our sport as Safe and still fun without getting into Dr.s Malpractice Syndrome which is, as we speak killing and otherwise honorable profession. My worry is that we are O.K. now and will be O.K. tommarrow but in between....we lose those who are worried about this issue......remember, just check with your insurance adjuster....let them know what you will be doing...ie....competitive tournament fishing......shop around find the most informed company who can give you the options you need and get that insurance.
What we can do in the meantime is work with each other and get informed on boating ettiquette, safe operations and proper equipment use AT ALL TIMES!
And remember.....after all is said and done we will all have the confidence that we are a safe and informed club and can get back to the task at hand....Catching Fish!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #7 - 03/06/03 at 19:48:19
Quote Print Post  
Hi Larry,
Please don't misunderstand this topic as a complain-fest about the board or WBC.  We're primarily discussing individual coverage and the options available.

Individual coverage, and coverage for WBC (and its board) are two separate subjects.  However, they are similar, and both go towards protecting us and our club.

Nobody here is suggesting WBC provide insurance that covers it's members.  It's insane to own a boat and not have your own insurance on it. Or worse yet, expect WBC to cover you for your own liabilities.

As for liability ins. for the Club and board, this covers not only tournaments, but anything club related.  For instance, if somebody gets injured at the clubhouse, awards banquet or anything else for that matter.

The board did, in fact, consult with an attorney before deciding on what policy to implement.  I'm kinda disappointed to find out the work and research we did has now fallen on the wayside.  But, now that we're addressing it, it's a non-issue. I'll be at the meeting tonight, so perhaps I can help shed some light on what decisions were made and why.

I totally agree with the boat safety comments you made.
« Last Edit: 03/06/03 at 22:55:11 by Admin »  
IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/07/03 at 00:38:12
Quote Print Post  
Folks,
I didn't mean to sound ornery about the club and insurance. I talked to Ted Watts, Ron Hankinson and a couple other board members about 2-3 years ago and was told that the club didn't have or need any. Period. I showed and sited the article(many of you have read)in the ABA newsletter and was told it didn't pertain to us. You guys can take it from here.

Here's what happened at the Sumner Sportsmans Club while I was on the board:
"Short Version"
We rent the hall. Weddings etc.
During a rental, an unsupervised child ran into a steel cable outside of the building that had a sign on it stating "Keep Out". The child hurt his neck and we ended up taking care of the medical bills and alot of other red tape. We were also sued for ???$200,000.00??? The max of our limited liability coverage at the time.
The rental agreement "that was signed by the renter" stated (No Unsupervised Children) and (No One Allowed Outside on the Grounds). All this didn't matter in court. When we found out that we(Officers)could be attached in a law suite, we got a little scared and upped our policy to $1 million.
RC
« Last Edit: 03/07/03 at 04:29:47 by »  

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #9 - 03/07/03 at 03:32:33
Quote Print Post  
Yes the club does have insurance. The last 3 years I didi write and check and did have a policy. I do not remenber the amount of coverage. I do think we should look into th amount of coverage we do have.
John Holland

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #10 - 03/07/03 at 04:20:29
Quote Print Post  
Just came back from the board meeting folks.  I confirmed the club still has the same policy that was implemented some 10 years ago.  It never expired.  Terry produced the document.  It's due to be renewed in April.

That said, the board is going to review the policy to see if it needs to be updated when they renew.

Thanks!
Glenn

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/07/03 at 04:27:49
Quote Print Post  
Glad to hear it. I'm glad Jim brought it up because I'm sure it needs to be updated with all the sue crazy folks in this world.
RC

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo