Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Heading to Sawyer.... (Read 4035 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Heading to Sawyer....
02/16/03 at 17:15:59
Quote Print Post  
Hey folks, I am going to Lake Sawyer from now till dark or extreme rain/wind   will be leaving in the hour so from 11:00 on....honk at the boat launch or call my pager if want to meet there 206 810-2658 punch in 411 and I will go to the launch. see ya!

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Re: Heading to Sawyer....
Reply #1 - 02/17/03 at 00:14:18
Quote Print Post  
Can't wait to hear how it went, I'm taking a fellow Brit there tomorrow (Monday). I'll probably try and call you later this evening about 7pm, hope you find some good bites. Remember, become one with the fish - but only in your mind, not off the side of the boat!!!! Grin Grin

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/17/03 at 02:28:54
Quote Print Post  
Man, am I glad I went to Sawyer................................................oh you want to know how it went............did'nt see you standing there..................Okay.....Went to Sawyer with the intention of fishing shallow with Senko's and Spinnerbaits at the ready but after the 2nd rain and wind squall I gravitated to some deep water rockpiles I frequent when on Sawyer and after losing my 2nd drop shot I remembered what Faz and Myself came up with after Potholes and went back to the tried and true Carolina rigged Zoom lizard in 28ft of water and felt that telltale tap and pressure only I was not prepared for the sharp tugging on the other end......everytime I gained five feet it took six feet in a downward thrashing manner making my knees shake........no it was not a Trout but rather a stout 5.0 lb. Smallmouth who had the descency to get caught just as Jim Rumann showed up. WHOOOOOOO   HOOOOOOOOO!! all winter now seems worth the effort with a fish like that! so.....get to Sawyer and "Say hello to my little friend".

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 02/17/03 at 04:56:31
Quote Print Post  
HOO-Ra!!  Sweeeeet deal, Larry!  Congrats!  That's awesome. 

Makes me wish I could get out there.  I'm just too busy right now getting everything out of the way so I have time when it warms up.  The boat's in great shape, tho!   Grin

So what was the water temp?  Last year about this time it was in the low 40's.  What were you using?  The 'ol Green Pumpkin Zoom lizard, or was it something else?

Again, thanks for telling us.  It get's me pumped just hearing about it, and all the other fish people are catching in FEBRUARY!!

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/17/03 at 15:57:45
Quote Print Post  
Good job Larry. My Sat. 1 bite, 1 fish, 2 pics, and if they turn out it will be proof of a 5.8 smallie....In Feb. Cheesy

IP Logged

pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/17/03 at 18:49:56
Quote Print Post  
Good job Virgil and Larry-  Wow!  The good reports are getting to be the norm lately.  Larry- I am glad you remembered your roots and stuck to them.  Virgil- I  can't wait to see pictures of that monster.   What did you catch him on?

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/18/03 at 00:45:25
Quote Print Post  
Buzz bait....30 feet! Well it'll be a green slip fish I'll have to tell than.   Ok dropshot, 46 feet, 3'' rainbow slugo. Cheesy

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/19/03 at 17:27:51
Quote Print Post  
Well, I should change my name to Hoover 'coz I sucked big time on Monday Embarrassed

Firstly, despite some good information from Larry, I could not find the structures he described. Even worse though was that I took William (a fellow Brit) out on Lake Sawyer from first light until 4.00pm and we did not get a single fish of any description  Cry

It was fun though to let him loose at the helm, he is an offshore fisherman who fishes in the English Channel regularly and runs a saltwater fishing boat which only runs at 15 knots - he had a great time on plane at the 36mph limit on Sawyer Roll Eyes

The weather was fantastic, clear skies all day until about 3pm when it began to spit lightly, not even enough to warrant waterproofs. Water temp varied in different parts of the lake but got up to 43.5F in a few spots - I had hoped for better luck than my usual skunk!!

Oh well, that's why it's called fishing and not catching I suppose.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/23/03 at 01:40:56
Quote Print Post  
Virgil, His daughter Carlee and myself went to Sawyer for 4-5 hrs today and have to say.....THAT WAS SOME COLD RAIN! No fish but some great conversation and I recieved one Dandy of a Fridgerator art work from Carlee....it makes it all worth it!

IP Logged

pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/23/03 at 02:48:27
Quote Print Post  
Jim Ruman and I are going to Sawyer tomorrow around 12:00-  Larry& Virgil- Any suggestions?  Sorry to hear about the miserable fishing conditions.  About how deep were you guys fishing?  Was it very windy?  Were you able to fish plastics slow enough? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Pays2no

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/23/03 at 03:21:27
Quote Print Post  
Hey Bob, we fished 24-38 ft on known rock piles and x-mas trees....myself and the illustrous Mr. Sotherland will be out there around 10:00 so see ya out there....oh we were dropshotting and carolina rigging. Larry.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo