Normal Topic saving deep water bass (Read 1777 times)
Varmint
Ex Member

saving deep water bass
01/29/03 at 02:51:23
Quote Print Post  
I boated another SM from Washington today from deep water (64ft).  This one did not recover like all the others.  After several minutes of trying to revive it at the side of the boat I decided it needed some air removed from the air bladder. Now, I have never done this before but I was prepared.  I had the diagram and the proper needle on board. I hit the air bladder on the first try and let a little out.
The bass responded immediately and slowly swam down.  I remained in the area just in case.  After less than a minute it resurfaced.  At this point it did not look good.  I filled a livewell and let some more air out while holding the bass in the livewell.  This bass looked like a goner.  I ran both air pumps and closed the livewell.  After 30 minutes I said a little prayer and checked the bass.  Although the bass was inverted the gills and fins were moving and it responded when touched.  I let it go and it swam down slowly again.  I stayed on the spot for 30 minutes, no sign of the bass. 
I think that bass will be around for the next angler.
If you are going to fish deep, any time of year, be prepared and don't give up too soon. Their worth saving.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Re: saving deep water bass
Reply #1 - 01/29/03 at 15:36:31
Quote Print Post  
How big?  Thanks for the tips Pat.  And way to stick to it....Being that you caught the fish twice, do you turn in two green slips?? Cheesy

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/03 at 16:56:09
Quote Print Post  
Hmmmmm ??
Just  2lb 4oz.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/30/03 at 13:46:08
Quote Print Post  
Maybe by using it twice you could claim 4lb. 8 oz. Roll Eyes

Smitty Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo