Normal Topic Frostbite tourney...what' up? (Read 2169 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Frostbite tourney...what' up?
11/07/02 at 16:58:47
Quote Print Post  
Hey all you who fished the frostbite.....don't see a report here........lets hear it.........c'mon......jeeeeezzzz.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Re: Frostbite tourney...what' up?
Reply #1 - 11/07/02 at 21:19:41
Quote Print Post  
Yo Larry,

I got a report for ya man!!!

Ron Hankinson and Bob Payseno had a pretty good tournament and ended up finishing in the middle of the pack with a little over 13 pounds for ten fish. It took 24+ pounds to win, and 20+ to finish in the top five. Someone always figures 'em out no matter what the weather might be over there!

Rick Gagliardi and I struggled on the first day, without a single keeper to our name. We improved a bit on Sunday and caught a SMALL limit of 4.83 pounds. Hey - it's better than a bagel, eh? Our fish on Sunday came from riprap, and we were catching them on splitshot plastics in 20-25 feet of water... what else? There were more fish to catch from the riprap, but since we knew there was no chance of us placing, we gambled on big fish for the rest of the day. Nuthin' on our "big fish" spots.

Weather was beautiful both days, but pretty darn cold. The mornings started in the low 20's and probably warmed up to around high 40's later on. Not a stitch of wind, and bright blue skies. I am telling you guys, you need to get out to this tournament next year... It is a load of fun, and I have learned more from these tournaments than I ever thought I could!

Best fishes,
Chris

IP Logged

Rob_Maglio
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/08/02 at 01:33:05
Quote Print Post  
Hey Chris,

Did you happen to hear what techniques were used for some of those 20 lb limits? What was the water temp you guys were fishing in?

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/08/02 at 04:21:09
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

Water temp's were anywhere from 49-51 degrees.

Rick and I were fishing near a lot of the top guys on the second day, which was along the main highway riprap. I didn't hear any good dock talk, but it did sound like the bigger smallies were still in shallow water, 10-15 feet deep. I would venture a guess that some bigger smallies were caught on crankbaits possibly, but most of the field was probably dragging a favorite plastic of choice. Splitshots, carolina rigs, and football heads.

Chris

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo