Normal Topic Potholes, again!! (Read 2687 times)
kholmes
Ex Member

Potholes, again!!
10/14/02 at 22:32:23
Quote Print Post  
I wandered to Potholes this past Sunday the 13th.  Began fishing about 10am.  Man, this reservoir has been awesome this season!!  Went to my favorite late season location in Lind Coulee and killed them!!  Had seven QUALITY smallies in 30 minutes!!  Unreal!!  FIshed for another hour or so and caught five more.  Perch were everywhere, but that is later.  Since it was a drop-dead gorgeous day, I decided to head up Crab Creek.  Never ventured too far up the channel this late in the year, but thought I had better learn to find the channel.  After beaching the boat onece, I found what I believe is the channel and meandered up the proverbial creek.  I was having alot of fun just navigating.  Anyway, based on Smitty's previous report, I thought this would be relatively simple, and guess what, it was!!!  Any place I found a piece of anything along the channel, there were fish on it.  Biggest was just under five pounds.  Caught over nine fish in two hours!!  What a blast.  Off of one stick-up I hooked five fish!!  Good grief I wish I could win the lotto and fish more!!  The water was a bit stained, due to an alge bloom, but the fish had no trouble smaking around my spinner-bug.  Found my way back out of there and decided to catch some perch on my favorite flat.  Found an old friend with his two sons and we had a barrel-o-fun.  I caught a bunch for the fry pan and filed this day away as one of the finest fishing, weather, and solitude gathering experiences I have had on Potholes since.....May, by golly!
Kirk

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Re: Potholes, again!!
Reply #1 - 10/14/02 at 22:54:53
Quote Print Post  
Kirk and Smitty,

Thanks for the reports, guys!!! I really wished I could have put even more time in on Potholes this year, maybe I can make it over there one more time, but it will be tough with the frostbite tourney coming up...

I am glad to see that Potholes is BACK BIG!!!

Chris Grin

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/31/02 at 21:58:56
Quote Print Post  
Headed over to potholes tomorrow.  I am hunting for pheasants/quail early in the morning and then off to the lake around 10 am for some late season bass.  I will send along a report when I get back.

Mark Maderos

IP Logged

Rob_Maglio
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/01/02 at 07:23:35
Quote Print Post  
I hit it on the 27th and 28th. My first time at Potholes so didn't really know the lake. Caught a decent one the first 20 minutes I was there. The weather rolled in and we went to watch game seven. Next day was pretty slow too. My dad caught one then I hit a 21 inch, 4.5 lb walleye then the next cast a 4lb smallie.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/02/02 at 12:49:00
Quote Print Post  
Well the bird hunt was a bust.  My dog only put up one pheasant. ( A hen)  No quail to be seen.  So off to potholes we went.  Went up the Lind Coulee arm.  Nothing half way up so we went to the mouth of the arm and hit the first major point/flat.  Hooked into a huge smallie in the first fifteen minutes.  The thing hit my green senko so hard, I was just stunned.  Thought I had missed it because I lifted my rod tip and nothing.  About 5seconds later, I feel a little pressure and set the hook into a monster smallie.  Unfortunately lost him at the boat.  Somewhere in the 4-5 lb class.  Coal black and not fighting to hard with the water temp getting lower.  Had a couple other bites but no other fish.

Had a great time.

IP Logged

Rob_Maglio
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/07/02 at 02:46:38
Quote Print Post  
My old man and I hit it the 27th and 28th. Had a 2lber the first 20 minutes. The weather rolled in and we got off the lake. On Monday we tried different water with no success. Tried the damn later and hit a 4.5 walleye then the very next cast a 4 lb smallie. Weather was beautiful. This was my first time on Potholes and I have to say I liked it. Skip Davis was the only other guy fishing for bass that I noticed. He had some fish in Crab creek but nothing significant he said. He told me the bass really turn on when the water gets a little cooler. Like 45 degrees. I caught my fish in 52 degrees.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo