Normal Topic Low Speed Reels (Read 6029 times)
Chris B.
WBC Member

Low Speed Reels
02/20/08 at 16:21:30
Quote Print Post  
I was on another message board and found a Green Curado, said to be brand new never had line put on it.  $58 shipped, so I jumped all over it.  BUT, didn't realize at first that it was a 3.8 ratio.  What are the low speed reels used for, I'd imagine slow working presentations, jigs, maybe crankbaits?  Anyone use one ?  I don't regret buying it, we all know what these go for on ebay.  Tongue 
Lets hear some tips.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Re: Low Speed Reels
Reply #1 - 02/20/08 at 17:30:25
Quote Print Post  
I have the exact same reel and I use mine pretty much exclusively for pitching.  The way I have always understood it is the higher the gear ratio the faster you can horse them in but a lower gear ratio gives more torque to pull them out of the thick stuff.  Wink

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/20/08 at 19:33:52
Quote Print Post  
Slow running Crank Baits for the slow ratio and high speed for rip baits and horsing big fish out of cover.

Russ

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #3 - 02/20/08 at 20:11:56
Quote Print Post  
That's what Shimano designed them for.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

trucknmusic
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/21/08 at 04:01:15
Quote Print Post  
I would use it for deep cranks.  

You want a fast reel for flipping - don't need torque just a few cranks and swing em in (heavy line!).    

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/21/08 at 20:45:47
Quote Print Post  
Guys like David Fritts and Mark Davis use the low speed reels for cranking certain crankbaits.

Mark

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/21/08 at 20:55:19
Quote Print Post  
The slow speed reel makes it easier on your hands when working a crankbait. You usually use low gear ratios for deep diving crankbaits. Since you just want to slowly crawl them along the bottom. The torque of the reel helps pull that big bill around. It's kinda like the fishing reel version of a diesel truck.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 02/22/08 at 15:32:53
Quote Print Post  
Let us not forget large swimbaits.  I could have used one(low speed reel) last week at El Salto as the sows were on a swimbait bite down deep.

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #8 - 02/22/08 at 15:35:43
Quote Print Post  
Depends on how large Smitty.  I started using swimbaits last fall and my Pflueger Trion started making some very high pitch noises after a little while Cheesy  Its ok though, got a Calcutta 401 to take care of that.  Can't wait !

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #9 - 02/23/08 at 17:03:03
Quote Print Post  
That's exactly what I meant Chris.  I failed to take one of my Calcutta's to MX with me and had to fall back on one of my Calais'.  It worked out just fine, but I was a little concerned about it at 1st and wished it had a slower than 6.2:1 ratio.

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo