Normal Topic How often to grease wheel bearings (Read 2532 times)
TimWard
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

How often to grease wheel bearings
12/13/15 at 14:53:47
Quote Print Post  
Hi folks,

Just wondering how often everyone greases their trailer wheel bearings and if it is based on miles driven, times trailer has been in water or dates on a calendar?  I've got just over 1,000 miles on my trailer, but I have launched the boat about 40 times.  The trailer booklet is not real clear about how often just that it needs to be done.

Thanks,

Tim

IP Logged

derik
WBC Member

Re: How often to grease wheel bearings
Reply #1 - 12/13/15 at 15:20:33
Quote Print Post  
I grease mine every couple of outings.  Definitely before I travel more than 30 miles.  Grease is cheap!  I apply the night before when I'm hooking up the boat so there's no chance of having the scent on my hands.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 12/13/15 at 21:48:26
Quote Print Post  
I guess it depends on what kind of seals and grease fittings your trailer uses.  My boat was new in 2005, its a sealed design. BassCat stated to grease the bearings every 3+ years. I'm lazy like that so after 5+ years I bought new bearings just in case I needed them.  I took off the bearing buddy cap thing, took the rotor off and saw no signs of wear or water intrusion.  I re-packed the bearings and put new double lip seals in and was good to go.
If you are putting a grease gun on a zerk fitting and blowing grease out of the back of the seal, then essentially you are letting water in as well.  It should be a pack the bearings and forget about it for a couple years kinda deal.

Any other input ?

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #3 - 12/14/15 at 06:16:43
Quote Print Post  
I grease mine twice a year... once in Spring and again in the Summer usually July for the hot months...

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #4 - 12/14/15 at 22:53:29
Quote Print Post  
I had over greased mine and blew the seals out. I would repack them my self every other year but with the grease blowing out, after 13 years of age I had new bearings, races and bearing buddies put in.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Elway4lyfe
WBC Board Member
WBC Member

Reply #5 - 12/15/15 at 18:49:25
Quote Print Post  
I grease Mine once a year, every time a new year begins before the season.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo