Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) No Restrictions for Bass on the Columbia (Read 3938 times)
Glenn_May
WBC Member

No Restrictions for Bass on the Columbia
09/24/14 at 19:42:13
Quote Print Post  
FYI -
The WDFW is proposing open season on bass, walleye, and catfish on the Columbia river by eliminating size and daily limit restrictions.  Effectively promoting the eradication of those species in the Columbia.

Here are the proposals.  Note the wording of "No size restrictions or daily limit for BASS, CHANNEL CATFISH, and WALLEYE" for the Columbia River.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/rule_proposals/2015-2016/5_Region2StreamS...
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/rule_proposals/2015-2016/5_Region3StreamS...

Comment here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/rule_proposals/2015-2016/proposal.php?id=...
or at a review meeting.  Schedule and locations listed here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/rule_proposals/

Note that last year they proposed the single barbless hook rule on lake Samammish, and pushed it through despite overwhelming comments to the contrary on their "public comment" section of the proposal (22 out of 24 comments were against the proposal). So the comments posted on their site are ignored.  You'll need to attend their meetings in order to be heard.

The people that hate you, don’t know you.  They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.
IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Re: No Restrictions for Bass on the Columbia
Reply #1 - 09/26/14 at 03:46:09
Quote Print Post  
Glenn, which meeting are you attending to be heard?

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Castman
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 09/26/14 at 16:46:05
Quote Print Post  
Remember that commercial for Burger King - "WHERE'S THE BEEF!"  Well in this case - "WHERE'S THE SCIENCE!"  As far as I know, there is still no studies showing that bass have a significant impact on salmon predation. WDFW have been trying to get this type of regulation implement for decades.  I has been base purely on the departments anti-bass bias.  Nothing more.  Please get to the meetings if at all possible or at least contact the department to express your views.  Also, if you happen to know a State Senator or Representative, talk to them.

Thankx Glenn for making us aware!!

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 09/27/14 at 15:12:22
Quote Print Post  
There's a meeting on Saturday, Nov 8th in Olympia.  People are allowed only 3 mins to speak, so one person isn't going to have much of an impact.  If we can get a group of bass anglers to show up and speak at the meeting, we'll be heard.

The people that hate you, don’t know you.  They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.
IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #4 - 09/27/14 at 15:48:42
Quote Print Post  
On a Saturday, sounds like the person's who choose this date want us all to show up.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

karl7feet
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/27/14 at 22:10:14
Quote Print Post  
What about letting the other bass clubs leaders know about this so they can show up also.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #6 - 09/28/14 at 19:11:11
Quote Print Post  
I shared it on Facebook and will be going on the 8th as I am off work. Anyone want to carpool? Breakfast?

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #7 - 09/28/14 at 21:31:18
Quote Print Post  
I'm in.

IP Logged

karl7feet
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/29/14 at 01:09:46
Quote Print Post  
Did someone say breakfast?  I'm in and a carpool sounds like a great idea.

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #9 - 10/06/14 at 01:41:28
Quote Print Post  
FYI - they adopted this rule last year.  I'm not sure why it wasn't implemented.

Take a look at this:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/rule_proposals/comments/proposal.php?id=2...

There's a very strong support for this.  Seems the salmon anglers believe bass are decimating salmon.

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #10 - 11/03/14 at 17:23:50
Quote Print Post  
Turns out this new rule is an expansion of the rule I referenced in my above post.  Previous rule was on portions of the Columbia, and was quietly adopted last year. The new rule covers all of the Columbia and its tributaries.  Complete extinction is the goal.

While the meeting agenda and times for next Saturday have been announced (http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2014/11/agenda_nov0714.html) note that the rule proposal is not on the agenda.

Why?  Because it's too late.  It was passed last month.

I tried to speak to Bruce Bolding, the state's warmwater manager, (360) 902-8417, about this, but all I got was his voicemail saying that he's out until Nov. 18th.

So, it's a done deal.

Question is, why are they limiting spring tournaments to only 1 largemouth when they clearly want to kill off all bass?  That rule was touted as a conservation measure by the WDFW.  Clearly that was a ruse because their true intent is to exterminate all bass in the Columbia.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo