Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bass Clubs and tournaments... (Read 4067 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Bass Clubs and tournaments...
06/22/13 at 21:08:26
Quote Print Post  
I was working at Lake Wilderness Lodge last night (part-time job) and ran across a bass fisherman walking the shore.  He shared with me that he belonged to a local Washington bass-club (shall remain unnamed) who mentioned that because of regulation changes, higher tournament charges, etc.., that their club is actually considering doing away with going through the state to book tournaments.  Instead they are just going to "show-up" and gather as friends (who just so happen to weigh each other's fish) and perhaps "bet" on who can catch the biggest string.  He said other clubs he has talked to are thinking about doing the same.  Really?

So I've been gone for three years from WBC - someone fill me in on what has changed in terms of state regulations, costs, etc.. that would cause a club to go to these lengths to disguise a club tournament?  Has it really gotten that bad?

Before I judge, I need to be brought up to date on the recent politics of bass tournaments.  Is  the guy blowing hot air, or is bass tournament fishing in our state in jeopardy?

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Re: Bass Clubs and tournaments...
Reply #1 - 06/22/13 at 23:41:01
Quote Print Post  
state permits have gone from a flat $24 per permit to $94 dollars per permit.  This is no joke and I believe several clubs around will not be applying for permits from this point forward.

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #2 - 06/23/13 at 04:31:03
Quote Print Post  
A fishing contest is defined as any event where six or more licensed anglers (age 15 and older) fish competitively for game fish and determine winners, regardless of the prize value. A fishing contest permit is required by and issued by The Department of Fish and Wildlife. The fee for a fishing contest permit is $24.00 (no more than seven permits will be issued to any one permittee during the calendar year). Effective March 1, 2013, an application fee of $70.00 will be charged for each application submitted (RCW 77.65.480). The $70 application fee will be collected in addition to the fishing contest permit fee and it is non-refundable.

Yes the state has increased fees to the point were small clubs can not afford to hold tournaments. WBC and WBA are teaming up on tournaments for the 2014 year. Over all club memberships and tournament numbers are down.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Rob
Forum Member

Reply #3 - 06/23/13 at 15:30:37
Quote Print Post  
For the record....This 70 dollar fee is BS! Anytime people get together and try to have a good time...the state wants to dig in their pockets. Especially honest working people trying to enjoy something that doesn't hurt other people. Just fish all the tournaments on sections of the Columbia River where no permit is now needed (Iheard) due to the change of creel limits on bass. I guess that changes the definition of "game" fish to "garbage" or "nuisance" fish and thus takes you out of the definition of the contest anyway.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/25/13 at 16:37:42
Quote Print Post  
It would be interesting to have a rep from the WDFW come to WBC and speak on this subject for entertainment some month.  (We could inform the other clubs and maybe they would come too.)  I would love to discover the true motives for such dramatic changes in policy.  I would like to know if they have thought through the impact this has on small clubs.  Wow, I stop fishing for a couple of years and the world I knew and loved goes crazy... This is very disturbing.

IP Logged

bassparagus
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

I'm the reason why fish
don't sleep.

Reply #5 - 06/25/13 at 23:14:07
Quote Print Post  
We did have a wdfw Biologist come in and speak as entertainment. You must not have been there it was an awesome meeting. very informative.
His name was Danny Garrett Ph.d.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/26/13 at 00:57:18
Quote Print Post  
Did he shed any light on this subject?

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #7 - 06/26/13 at 01:45:03
Quote Print Post  
It was pretty much dumped on the WDFW by our lawmakers.

AIM  
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/27/13 at 21:31:45
Quote Print Post  
Chuck and Guys if you are mad about permit fees then you will be steaming about what I just heard from someone at the state level that said that fishing would be not allowed at all in the state next year due to cut backs in funding.You know how that would effect every sporting goods business out here and every fisherman out here. Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

If you really care about this sport and fishing in general you better get off your couch and get involved.

Russ

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #9 - 06/28/13 at 00:05:44
Quote Print Post  
They better have funds set aside for officers to enforce a no-fishing regulation... Wait who remembers being checked when the state had money.

AIM  
IP Logged

Rob
Forum Member

Reply #10 - 06/28/13 at 02:34:09
Quote Print Post  
Screw that! Why should their funding stop our fishing?? We buy our licenses...not our fault they spend what they get poorly. We can allow people to smoke Marijuana, but keep people from fishing?? If that's the case, guess I'll be poaching next year. Wait...can it be poaching when we RELEASE everything?? Stupid....no way that can fly. They gonna stop people from driving too when the Dept. of Transportation runs out of money??

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo