Normal Topic BAD NEWS (Read 2154 times)
JimE
Forum Member

I Love WBC!

BAD NEWS
02/26/13 at 13:36:59
Quote Print Post  
This is just a MONEY GRUBBING play by the State of Washington to get money for nothing. There is no reason to increase the fee for any club or open bass tournament. THIS FEE IS A TAX FOR NOTHING! And if The Bass Federation of Washington stands for this and does not protest this fee then there is nobody else that can stand up for the unfair taxing of a sport that brings money to the State, Local and City governments each and every month of the year. I as the Tournament Director for the North End Bass Club say that the first DFW statement that an ANNUAL FEE of $70.00 could be acceptable for all Tournament Application that one club or organization would submit for the year, but not an added fee of $70.00 for each and every and I mean EVERY application that is submitted to the state.

I feel that everyone that this email goes to should stand up and say that THIS IS AN UNFAIR TAX, and if the board members of TBF do not stand against this increase then the organization, The Bass Federation of Washington, will have failed its membership and therefore will stand for nothing. It is also the responsibility of every club member to stand against this increase to help fight a money grubbing tax on a sport that does produce a large amount of revenue to the state each and every month. Also If this TAX is allowed then it also shows that the WDFW, Member of the Washington State Government, does not respect the Public Fishing Organization of the State of Washington.

I will thank all who will pass this on to other people that this may concern as I do not have all parties email the may be concerned with this TAX.

Thank You,

Victor T. Rose
Tournament Director
North End Bass Club
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 10:37:50 AM
Subject: New Fishing Contest Permit Processing Fee

Greetings,

Back in December I informed you all about a new application fee for fishing contest permits and that I would get back to you when I was given a definite date for implementation of the fee.  Well, I just got that information last week and I was also incorrect in how the fee was going to be assessed.

So here is the deal:

1.       There are now two fees associated with fishing contest permits (RCW 77.65.480)

a.       Application fee ($70) – non-refundable

b.      Permit fee ($24) – refundable

2.       The application fee will be assessed per application

3.       The starting date is March 1, 2013

The nuts and bolts of it is a fishing contest permit is now $94.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Sincerely,

Bruce

Bruce M. Baker

Washington Dept. of Fish & Wildlife

Inland Fish Program

600 Capitol Way N.

Olympia, WA  98506

Phone: 360.902.2764

Fax: 360.902.2944

WDFW Website: http://wdfw.wa.gov/

WDFW Fishing Contest Webpage: http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/fishing_contests/

WDFW Scientific Collection Permit Webpage: http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/scp/

WDFW Freshwater and Saltwater Sport Fish Records Webpage: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/records/

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: BAD NEWS
Reply #1 - 02/26/13 at 15:06:11
Quote Print Post  
I have just sent this to Bruce Baker......

Bruce....Just saw the website and if I interpret this right...we as a club have to spend $94.00 ($24.00 for the Permit and $70.00 Application Fee) for each permit for a total of 7 per year? I understand budgets are being cut and revenue needs to be generated but we as a club will not be able to continue to participate in this activity if this is the way it shall be. The clubs that apply and recieve permits return valuable data for your annual reports which will be lost when we all drop from this program as we, the Western Bass Club, have seen a loss of 50% of our membership already due to the recession and this will be the final straw as we all will just go to a C.W.P.R. format so we will eliminate retention and fish handling stress and also any cash/prize incentives to continue in the sport we love by just awarding points and recognition plaques. (C-Catch, W-Weigh, P-Photograph, R-Release, this format was introduced by the Major League Fishing series and has been adopted by many groups as a way to protect the fish and reduce the impacts on the fisheries.) I have always been impressed with the involvement of W.D.F.W. and how we manage tournaments in a way no other state does to limit the impacts of tournament fishing on the aqautic life but this, along with the "Discover Pass"in the State Parks are chasing folks away. I also understand we all are just doing our job so if you can direct me to the people who handle and recieve the complaints and make policy that would be great. Hope to hear from you soon.

Larry Sullivan, Secretary/Special Events Coordinator, Western Bass Club.

I would like to leave this thread on the open catagory so lets keep it clean and constructive.

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 02/27/13 at 20:14:09
Quote Print Post  
The state has always been strongly anti-tournament (bass, trout, salmon, whatever), and that's what this is - a means to stop tournaments without actually prohibiting them.

My guess is that clubs will go ahead and have their own tournaments without permits, being that the state has little ability to enforce this.

Geeze...in most states, tournament permits aren't even required.  Leave it Washington!

The people that hate you, don’t know you.  They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.
IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #3 - 02/28/13 at 07:13:28
Quote Print Post  
TO:    Senator Steve Conway 

STREET ADDRESS:    9020 Yakima Ave 
   Tacoma, WA 98444-4356 

EMAIL:    r1wabasser@aol.com 

PHONE:    (253) 306 - 7864 

SUBJECT:    RCW 77.65.480 

As a voting citizen of your district and the President of Western Bass Club, I am notifying you in protest to RCW 77.65.480.

Fishing Contest Rules and Permits

A fishing contest is defined as any event where six or more licensed anglers (age 15 and older) fish competitively for game fish and determine winners, regardless of the prize value. A fishing contest permit is required by and issued by The Department of Fish and Wildlife. The fee for a fishing contest permit is $24.00 (no more than seven permits will be issued to any one permittee during the calendar year). Effective March 1, 2013, an application fee of $70.00 will be charged for each application submitted (RCW 77.65.480). The $70 application fee will be collected in addition to the fishing contest permit fee and it is non-refundable. Applications for fishing contest permits may be submitted at any time of the year, but they must be received by the department no less than 30 days prior to the start date of the proposed contest. Bass and walleye contest applicants wishing to have their preferred dates considered equally with all other requested dates must have their applications received by the department by July 1 of the year preceding the year in which the contests are planned to be held. These applications will be processed simultaneously so all applicants have an equal opportunity to get preferred dates. Bass and walleye fishing contest applications received after July 1 will be processed on a first come first serve basis. Upon completion of a fishing contest, a final report is required to be submitted within 30 days. Please see the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) that governs fishing events for more detailed information.

As a non-profit bass club that relies solely on low membership dues for funding this RCW 77.65.480 is totally prohibitive for the conduction of club fishing tournaments. I feel this is unfair and targeting the fishing community unfairly. This change will increase our current fees for one year from $168 to $658. This is cost prohibitive for my club. There are many clubs in the state that are affected by this in addition to Western Bass Club.

These club tournaments are just a way for my club members to have some friendly competition amongst ourselves. We as a club make no money off of these tournaments. The tournament anglers who place in the money do not win enough to pay gas expenses for the week end. But to participate in these tournaments we contribute to the economies of local boat and tackle dealers, gas stations, restaurants, camp grounds both private and state. I feel this is unfair and targeting the fishing community unfairly. It is time to end this $70 surcharge per event. Do not let it end my club’s tournaments.

Sincerely,
Rodney Heupel
President, Western Bass Club

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #4 - 02/28/13 at 07:22:35
Quote Print Post  
The up a bove also sent to my Representative David Sawyer and Representative Steve Kirby.

Lets flood them with letters and e-mails.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #5 - 03/05/13 at 00:38:47
Quote Print Post  
I come back from a week of TREMENDOUS fishing in EL Salto to this? SadTalk about putting a damper on my outlook for the year Cry.  Rest assured my local Senator and Reps will HEAR from me on this before the week is out. Angry

Smitty Smiley

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo