Normal Topic Trouble is brewing for Columbia River Smallies. :P (Read 2703 times)
Larry S.
Board Moderator

Trouble is brewing for Columbia River Smallies. :P
09/29/12 at 18:54:19
Quote Print Post  

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Re: Trouble is brewing for Columbia River Smallies
Reply #1 - 09/30/12 at 03:30:03
Quote Print Post  
Oh dear Lord!  Our game dept. is at it again - regulation based on emotions and zero science!   Who are these idiots?

The people that hate you, don’t know you.  They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.
IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 10/01/12 at 17:06:43
Quote Print Post  
These idiots got some FEEDBACK & COMMENTS from me! Angry

Smitty Wink
AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #3 - 10/03/12 at 01:57:17
Quote Print Post  
Its not just the River but other areas as well that more missmanagement is about to happen. I have had some putter problems so here more that you may have seen else where:

Dear all,
I am sending you this email to inform you of a rule change proposal for Lake Sammamish.  WDFW is heavily invested in a recovery effort for Lake Sammamish kokanee that has been ongoing for many years.  Recent creel surveys have indicated that kokanee are frequently caught as bycatch in Lake Sammamish, primarily by cutthroat trout anglers.  During this year’s regulation change process, a new rule requiring use of single point barbless hooks (from January 1- through April 30) was proposed, and is designed to maximize the survival of incidentally caught kokanee.  Although this proposed regulation is designed to protect kokanee in Lake Sammamish, it will affect the type of fishing gear that bass, trout, and perch anglers can use during the specified time period.  Although we realize that bass anglers infrequently catch kokanee, this conservation measure must be applied to all user groups. Otherwise, these regulations are very difficult to enforce, and enforcement remains a key component to the effectiveness of all regulations. We welcome your thoughts about this proposed change to the fishing regulations for Lake Sammamish, both online or in person. To comment online, please visit http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/rule_proposals/comments/proposal.php?id=8... . We are also holding a public meeting to discuss all rule change proposals this Thursday, Oct 4th, from 6-8 pm at our Mill Creek Office.  The address is 16018 Mill Creek Blvd, Mill Creek, WA 98012.

I encourage you all to participate in this process.  Your comments, both online or in person, will be viewed by the fish commission prior to their consideration of the rule change.  Please forward on to anyone not included in this email who may be interested. I primarily focused on those of you who lead a fishing organization, and those who held a tournament on Lake Sammamish during Feb-April 2012.  Thanks in advance for your participation in the public review process.

Best Regards,
Danny

Danny Garrett, Ph.D.

Lead Warmwater Fisheries Biologist - Region 4

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

16018 Mill Creek Blvd.

Mill Creek, WA 98012-1541

Phone: (425) 775-1311 Ext. 101

Email: dan.garrett@dfw.wa.gov

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #4 - 10/03/12 at 04:22:37
Quote Print Post  
If they're so worried about the salmon in lake Sammamish, then why not just ban fishing for them?  duh!

The people that hate you, don’t know you.  They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.
IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/03/12 at 05:38:49
Quote Print Post  
Well lets see on the lake samamish rule. So for 3 months of it we already use techniques that use a single. It is a down side that we have to ccrimp the barb. Gleen kokanee happen to be landlock sockeye. Yes, a salmon, but they aren't trying to protect the sea-running fish but the fish that never to go to sea. Plus I'm all for them inreasing the kokanee population in Sammamish. Means higher protein diet for bass, not to mention the regulation would be during pretty much the worst months.

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #6 - 10/04/12 at 04:38:48
Quote Print Post  
Let's see.... they want to protect the fish, so they impose restrictions on people who aren't fishing for them!  Ya, that makes sense, doesn't it?

Same goes for the Columbia.  Keri and I fished it several weekends in a row prior to the last tournament...and during obviously, and the sheer volume of salmon boats was beyond words.  Easily 100 boats in a 1/2 mile stretch at times.  Hundreds of boats.  Every weekend.

I also read in the Seattle Times that during one weekend, over 1,700 salmon anglers were checked by WDFW just in the Tri-Cities area alone!

So again...want to save the salmon?  The stop fishing for it!

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 10/04/12 at 17:26:23
Quote Print Post  
I find it hard to believe that Danny really supports this proposal.  All the same, I've posted my comments on their website.

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #8 - 10/04/12 at 19:31:58
Quote Print Post  
From yesterday's Seattle Times:

Quote:
Here is the latest Columbia River Hanford Reach fishing report from Paul Hoffarth, a state Fish and Wildlife biologist in Pasco:

State Fish and Wildlife staff interviewed 529 boats with 1,340 anglers caught 529 adult chinook and 236 jack chinook this past week.

An estimated 1,849 adult fall chinook and 827 jack chinook were harvested (1.4 chinook per boat). A total of 4,636 anglers trips were made to the Hanford Reach to fish for fall chinook this past week. All areas are reporting strong catches.

For the fishery, Aug. 1 through Sept. 30, an estimated 5,040 adult chinook and 1,924 jack chinook have been harvested.

The current in-season run forecast for the Hanford Reach estimates the 2012 adult chinook return at 71,000.

Yup, 7,000 salmon caught....not released....in just one month....out of one section of the Columbia.   Multiply that up and down the Columbia.  Now think of what that would do if they were all bass. 

It's self-evident where they need to be imposing restrictions.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo