Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Box Canyon, June 23/24 2012 Info (Read 5003 times)
Terry
WBC Member

Box Canyon, June 23/24 2012 Info
06/21/12 at 05:19:20
Quote Print Post  
June 23/24

Camping and launching from Blueslide Resort.  http://blueslideresort.com/

Driver's meeting around 5am Saturday, blast-off soon after or safe light.

I think everyone is camping together so I will take sign-ups Friday night and before the driver's meeting on Saturday.

Drive safe and see everyone over there!

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: Box Canyon, June 23/24 2012 Info
Reply #1 - 06/22/12 at 01:49:35
Quote Print Post  
Good luck everyone. 
So now I see where you guys are launching.  Safe to say no one is going to make the run to the main lake.  Is the best fishing on the skinny river portion, the main lake, or both ?  Looks like a lot of fun from the pictures they have on the campground webpage.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #2 - 06/24/12 at 21:14:51
Quote Print Post  
We planed on staying 5days Thur-Monday We left the camp Saturday at 2pm after the worst rain storms I have ever seen in my life. Friday was nice & I was able to pre-fish for a few hrs Got 3 4lbrs & 1 3lber not bad for fist time at this river. That night it started raining & thunder & lighting was non stop. The girls were in a tent & we were in the camper so we were dry. We put a roof structure/bug screen room over the tent to help keep dry. Sat morn the rain had slowed so I headed out to fish & about 2hrs in it started again Thunder & lightning all around me.Rain so hard I could not see 5ft mixed with hail. I had to move the boat under a tree to get some cover & I was still getting drowned. Wife called & said there would be a break at 11am & more storms were coming so I fished when I could got 2 & lost one bass got 3 Northern Pike & 1 perch. 30min boat ride back last 5min it was starting to hail again & man that stings at 50mph. Got back to camp & we were flooded the girls tent was almost floating. No choice pack up & go home. Rocky has some videos of the weather posted on his face book

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #3 - 06/24/12 at 21:27:03
Quote Print Post  
As for the fishing it was very good Lot went out Friday & caught quality fish even Smitty  Tongue. Lot of boats came in at 11am same as me.Some had limits already.They tied up & were going to see if it would let up so they could go back out.
The resort is nice but its next to the road & log trucks kept us up most of the nights.The camp host are very nice & helpful. The people who were in the cabins had it good.
The river moves fast & we had to run about 30min to find slack water.It looks like potholes when you find it. I am sure there will be some big bags. Think about this its late June post spawn for most the State & the weather was all over the place & that can shut the fish off but yet we were catching.
I was getting good at killing those pike  Cheesy I had a Pike that was about 3ft long hit my jig freaked me out.

Again I can not stress how hard that rain was & it just kept coming non stop.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/25/12 at 05:34:58
Quote Print Post  
Brutal.  glad you made it back safe

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/25/12 at 09:29:01
Quote Print Post  
I concur with John about the weather being some of the craziest and dangerous I've personally witnessed while fishing.   After making approximately a 28 mile boat ride upriver Saturday morning with my backseater Jerry Beatty we arrived at our first fishing spot around 6:30am with broken clouds,partly sunny skies and basically no wind- It couldn't have been more scenic out.  I started fishing and hooked two really big fish within the first 10-15 minutes at our first fishing location but unfortunatley I lost both of them. I felt very optimistic however about what I was doing and figured I would eventually be successful if I just continued to do what I was doing....I couldn't have been more wrong.  

Shortly after that I started to notice really dark clouds forming in the horizon and they seemed to be coming our way.  Ten minutes later, the first rain drops started to slowly come down.  The rain drops quickly transitioned from light drops to a heavy downpour within just a couple minutes.  The rain was now coming down in sheets and was being accompanied by thunder claps, hail and lightning flashes.  The one thing I didn't count on was the overall intensety of this squall.  The lightning became so intense that it basically forced me to beach the boat so Jerry and I could wait the storm out under a small bush which felt safer than being exposed out in the boat and in the water near tall trees or powerlines.  

We waited about 15-20 minutes until we felt the storm cell had subsized enough to safely wander back out on to the water to return to fishing.  After dozens and dozens of casts without any bites, I decided to move our fishing locations to a different area across the river in  slough where Jerry and I had fished  Friday and saw two 4lb cruising largemouth and caught three smallmouth.  As soon as we arrived to this spot a second storm cell crashed down on us seemingly out of nowhere.  The same things were happening....heavy rain, hail, thunder and lightning,,,this time with more verocity.   The lightning flashes and thunder claps were longer and more intense.   We were in a small slough that only had tall trees surrounding which made us feel even more exposed than our first area.  we decided to just stay in the boat and get as low as possible.   As we're waiting for this particular storm cell to pass, I looked to my right and saw an extremely bright orange lighting bolt hit the ground less than about 50-75 yards from us which was shortly followed by a sonic boom.  This thing was so loud it made your heart jump out of your chest.....really scary!!!  As soon as this cell passed we deded to get the heck out of there and head back to the launch while we had an opportunity.  This lightning event shook us both up so much we decided to stay off the water for the rest of the day.

I thought all of you brave souls who went to box canyon this weekend might find the following article interesting since it's labout Lightning awareness week. ...too funny- NOT! 

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/

« Last Edit: 06/25/12 at 23:23:47 by »  

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #6 - 06/25/12 at 18:03:26
Quote Print Post  

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 06/25/12 at 19:02:05
Quote Print Post  
The film that Rocky took only hints at how bad the weather was Huh.  However, despite the crappy weather and despite the fact that my Fred Meyers $69.00 special shelter was destroyed by the hail storm Shocked, I had more fun at this club event than I've had in a long time Smiley.  I am glad that "Sparky" Paysno wasn't closer to the ground strike by lightning.  Smiley Great pre-fishing on Friday.  A great time socializing with all in attendance on Friday nite.  Great to share a shelter with the Dovers and the Wards  in what I thought was going to be my own private slough on Saturday.  Pretty darn good fishing for nearly every warm-water species in the book.  An outstanding Saturday evening food fest.
I will most definitely go back would not hesitate to vote for this one next year despite the long travel, even for me. Smiley
And yes Jack, I'll bring MORE Canadian! Smiley

Smitty

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Angie
Forum Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #8 - 06/26/12 at 03:48:31
Quote Print Post  
Cheesy the weather was sooo bad!!!  But with that said the fishing was ok, I can only imagine what it would be like if we had good weather!  I would also like to give a shout out to, Bonny, Danica & Crystal (and me) all the boats that went out at blast-off on sunday had girls in them!    Tongue

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #9 - 06/26/12 at 03:59:25
Quote Print Post  

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #10 - 06/26/12 at 04:47:22
Quote Print Post  
Aside from the wicked weather, it was one of the most fun tournaments for me personally in the past 5 years.  We had a great potluck and it was just like old times having everyone camp together, stay up late and watch Smittly lull into a slumber as we swap fishing stories... Cheesy  There were no monster bags brought in, far from it, but the potential is spectacular.  The quality of the fish caught during pre-fish showed the potential this body of water holds.  I was amazed of how many fish were caught with such ridiculous weather.  I went back out this morning and the same spots were regenerated and the quality of fish was better than during the "T".  That's the way it goes.  I will definitely be pushing to go back in the future.  Even if the club doesn't want to, I will be making this area a vacation destination for my family for years to come.

Results to follow...

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #11 - 06/26/12 at 05:02:28
Quote Print Post  
It sounds like rain, hail and lightning trumps snow for a good memorable tournament!  Wink Wish I could have been there. Its good everybody was safe in the end. Great videos and posts! Can't wait to see the results! Too bad we all ready voted for next years lakes!

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #12 - 06/26/12 at 16:47:34
Quote Print Post  
Larry I saw you down there & tried to call you on the phone. Did you see were I was hiding I broke a bunch of branches off a tree & pushed way up under it. I was under there just waiting for the  Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse to come.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/27/12 at 00:54:01
Quote Print Post  
It sounds like the weather won. I haven't heard anyone talk about who won or placed, but how the weather kicked everyone's butt.  Smiley

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #14 - 06/27/12 at 18:07:42
Quote Print Post  
Bonnie Ward = well deserved 1st place
Jose had the big boy for the "T"
Doug Ward 3rd place
Can't remember who was 2nd,
but it might have been Terry

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo