Normal Topic Recomendation? a shop for outboard maintenence (Read 2722 times)
chopplebrains

I Love WBC!

Recomendation? a shop for outboard maintenence
03/20/12 at 00:18:10
Quote Print Post  
Hi folks,

I'm a new member - I just got into bass fishing two years ago on the local lakes. Upgraded to a new boat last year and so now need to get the 1yr maintenence done. It's a merc. 60hp 4 stroke, 4 cyl, EFI outboard. I'd like to drop it off at a shop and have the 100hr/1yr maintenece done - but I've found a wide variance in price between local shops for this. I've gotten quotes ranging from $295 to $495 dollars for, what at least seems to be, essentially the same service.

Do folks on here have some recommendations on where to take it for good work at a good price? Or, since I'm no mechanic, some recommendations on what to key in on during a conversation to set off the bullspit alert?

Thanks!
John

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Re: Recomendation? a shop for outboard maintenence
Reply #1 - 03/20/12 at 02:42:47
Quote Print Post  
Russ baker at Limit Out Marine.

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #2 - 03/20/12 at 04:22:14
Quote Print Post  
Russ and Daniel at Limit Out Marine are the best around.

Russ is a long time club member and Daniel is the best boat mechanic you will find in this area.

I completely trust them both.

http://www.limitoutmarine.com/

Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #3 - 03/20/12 at 04:55:05
Quote Print Post  
John, Welcome to the Western Bass Club.  Smiley  As a new boat owner I fully understand your desire to maintain your boat properly. The 4 strokes are a great motor, I have a Yamaha 115 4-stroke myself. It takes a lot of running to put a hundred hours on a motor, I know we bass fishermen fish alot. But most of the time on these local lakes we fire up the motor to launch the boat and run for a few minutes and drop the trolling motor and fish all day. Then at the end of the day make a short run back to the launch and load up. Mine is 10 years old this yr, last year I had just over 50 hours on the big motor. Now if our trolling motors had an hour meter on them, it would be scary. Know what your maintance guide/owners manual recomends. You may not be ready for a 100 hour service.

I am not familiar with the Mercs but with a Yamaha a certified service center will provide you with a print out from your motor that will show your hours and a lot more. Russ Baker does this with the Yamaha's. He also has the one of the best marine mechanics in his shop. You most likely have a warranty on yours, go for the shop that can support it.

We have a few merc owners in the club, they will fill ya in based on their experiance. Don't rush it, Good Luck.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/12 at 22:59:36
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Guys for the great compliments Smiley Smiley about Limit Out Marine.

John we work on Mercury motors on a regular basis as well and you will find us very competitive in price and what we do for our spring service package. Some shops just touch the motor, but we go so much further in making sure your entire rig is ready for fishing season.

If you have any questions just give me a call at 253-863-9973.

Russ

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #5 - 03/21/12 at 02:19:15
Quote Print Post  
Limit out Marine for sure. I would highly recommend this shop to anyone. I have a 2008 150 Mercury Optimax and had taken it in for service to another shop . They told me they had changed the plugs but when I took it to Limit Out, Daniel showed me the original plugs from the factory. Have not taken it anywhere else since and have been very happy with their work.

IP Logged

karl7feet
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/21/12 at 03:32:56
Quote Print Post  
I'm also a new boat owner and have a 30 HP Mercury four stroke.  I needed it to be winterized last fall and after asking some of the club members the consensus was Limit Out Marine was the place.  Russ, Chris and the people at Limit Out Marine are just plain good folks that are helping us fisherman out with our boats mechanical needs.

After my boat sat for the winter I tried starting it up for the first time a few weeks ago.  I hooked up the two batteries and the motor tilt/trim and engine just didn't work.  Everything else did (bilge, aerator, GPS/Fishfinder, trolling motor), just not the motor.  I took it down to Russ and Chris one night after work and Chris quickly spotted my error in hooking up the cables to the main battery.  Chris fixed me up in a few minutes and I was one my way home feeling a bit embarrassed.  Russ and Chris were very professional about it and didn't make me feel any worse than I already did about hooking up one of the cables up incorrectly.  Just some laughs about it and we were all glad it was something simple.

Limit Out Marine, just good people.

IP Logged

chopplebrains

I Love WBC!

Reply #7 - 03/22/12 at 02:38:42
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the replies everyone. This is indeed for the 1yr checkup, and not for 100hrs (I used the boat A LOT last year, but it's hard to imagine a full 100 hrs of run time).  Well, it seems like the recommendation is clear Smiley. I'll give the folks at limit out a call soon.

On the flip side, I"m bummed I missed the meeting (I think it was tonight) - I was looking forward to meeting some folks in person for the first time, but got held up at work.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/27/12 at 18:17:17
Quote Print Post  
Limit Out Marine in the near future (3 weeks) is becoming a fully authorized Mercury Warranty service center. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Russ

IP Logged

Mark B
WBC Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - 03/27/12 at 20:49:28
Quote Print Post  
Great news!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo