Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Storing aluminum boat outside for winter (Read 11470 times)
karl7feet
Ex Member

Storing aluminum boat outside for winter
10/29/11 at 02:51:55

I was wondering if my Alumacraft Fisherman 145 will be OK if I store it outside for the winter.  We just got the boat this past Spring so this is all new to me and I need some advice.  The boat is dry now and I will soon be winterizing the motor per the Mercury maintenance and winterizing instructions.

I was thinking I would just put the normal boat cover on it which fits nicely and keeps the rain out during the summer months.  I would then hang a rope above the boat, running longer than the length of the boat by a few feet, and then just putting a tarp over the rope, making an upside down V tent over the boat, and holding the sides of this upside down V tent away from the boat.  This would keep most of the rain/moisture from falling directly on the boat, and would allow for airflow around the boat.

There would still be condensation and moisture in the boat throughout the winter months, but it has marine plywood covered by vinyl flooring, and I would hope this could handle a bit of moisture.

Will this setup work to protect the boat well?  Is it worth it to find a storage locker/garage and pay for storage fees every month for 4 or 5 months?  Would it make any difference if I brought it into the garage and dried it out every three or four weeks before putting it outside again?

Thanks for any input,

Karl

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: Storing aluminum boat outside for winter
Reply #1 - 10/29/11 at 03:59:02

That should do fine...on the coldest days I put a utility light under the tarp to ward off frost...surprizingly it keeps it just above freezing on coldest days/nights and also pull the batteries/trolling motor off to prevent freezing of cells and rust of the powerhead.

IP Logged

karl7feet
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/29/11 at 15:39:39

Thanks Larry for the input!

I didn't mention it in the original posting but I was going to put both batteries in the garage and alternate having them on the battery/trickle charger, but thanks for the reminder.

When you say to put the utility light under the tarp, do you really mean to put it under the boat cover, and just say hang it off the steering wheel, to keep the temp and moisture at a reasonable level?  I have a nice boat cover that fits pretty well and then I would be hanging the tarp above that.

What is the powerhead?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #3 - 10/29/11 at 16:37:03

The Powerhead is the bottom of the trolling motor where the "Motor" is and if left to the elements repetitively can rust if even the slightest bit of moisture gets to it...I had a spare motor in the old shed we have and after two winters it rusted and siezed...should have wrapped it in an old blanket and put it in the garage....and yes on a drop light as they are usually weather proof and will help keep the temps a little higher on the coldest nights...I use one from Jan-Feb times....in case I wanna fish I can still open the compartments or else they freeze up.
Ive had a heavy metal carport for two years now and it has made a big difference but still have to protect the motor/batts and trolling motor.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/29/11 at 17:19:05

dont forget to change your lower unit fluid of your outboard, and leave it tipped down so no water can get into the hub.  Oh ya and throw some stabil in for good measure.

IP Logged

bassparagus
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

I'm the reason why fish
don't sleep.

Reply #5 - 10/30/11 at 15:46:37

The best thing you can do for your boat in the winter is occasionally use it. Every spring we all see the guy who launches his boat, and it wont start and there he is on the water struggling and swearing. Go fishn at least once a month. Bass still bite in the winter. On the other hand it does sound like you have a good setup. If you run your motor completely out of gas by disconnecting a fuel line, your carbs/ injectors won't get gummed up by old fuel. use stabil or seafoam when u do this.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/31/11 at 15:28:47

Yeah even in the winter you can catch some nice fish. Lake washington has huge perch that you can catch along with the smallmouth. If you fish the small local lakes with largemouth, you can usually get a few to go and they are good sized. We routinely do a January trip to Silver Lake cause we have cabin fever, and catch a 5-6 lber. Maybe not this year though with that water quality problem.

The stuff you are doing is fine. I'm sure the maintenance manual will get you on the right track with the motor, fluids and fogging the cyclinders. Boat cover, tarp and a heat source is all you can do for the rest. If you get moisture on the carpets or whatever, you can get some mildew stuff growing but it comes out easy with a pressure washer.

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Reply #7 - 11/02/11 at 21:46:51

I have stored my aluminum skeeter outdoors since I bought it.  The cover/tarp will work great to keep most of the weather out.  I also make sure to go through and vacuum out any loose dirt/debris as it holds moisture and will mold.  Lastly, I stick a small heater on the floor and then run a small royal sovereign dehumidifier to pull out any extra moisture that forms.

It isn't foolproof but it has worked relatively well to keep the boat relatively mold free as long as I don't take the boat out in a rain storm and then recover it thinking that small dehumidifier can "dry" it out.

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo