Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) use of bass boats on "no outboards allowed" lakes (Read 8481 times)
5dinks
WBC Board Member

2nd place is 1st LOSER!

use of bass boats on "no outboards allowed" lakes
04/07/11 at 11:52:51
Quote Print Post  
Does anyone know, in what pamphlet, RCWs, laws, etc. where it is plainly written as to whether or not you can 1) raise the motor out of the water and be "safe"   2) raise the motor, put a plastic bag over the lower unit and be "safe"  or just plan on arguing with the old man at the end of the dock who swears it is illegal to have an outboard on "his lake" at all????? Is the law written somewhere so I could roll up the reg book like a bat and slap the grumpy old farts with it when needed?????? Angry

Sponsors:    One of the 5 original members of Team Ass Pocket, New truck, 2nd hand Triton boat (Thanks Willie at NIXONS MARINE), used truck camper with used F150 (everything is paid for), misc rods and reels, endorsed by MY WIFE and sponsored by a 9-5 job.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: use of bass boats on "no outboards allowed" la
Reply #1 - 04/07/11 at 14:15:40
Quote Print Post  
Ok, what lake did you have an issue on Don ?   Cheesy  Good question.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #2 - 04/07/11 at 16:12:10
Quote Print Post  
This has been discussed before as some lakes state "no internal cumbustion engines" and " illegal to operate internal combustion engines" this has many homeowners, boaters and at times forces a local sheriffs deputy/police officer to make a judgment call...mostly ends up in the boater being asked to leave.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #3 - 04/07/11 at 18:03:08
Quote Print Post  
I know we had talked about this in past threads because I was the one that asked the same question. I called the WDFW & asked What I was told is NO motors are allowed on the boat PERIOD the reason why is the motor could drip or leak oil or if your electric motor went dead then you would be tempted to use the gas motor to get back to the launch. Then I asked at the sportsman show when the WDFW had a both there one year I got a different answer saying you could have it but not use it. Then he asked what lake I was talking about we look in the Regs & that lake is not listed so now its up to the city. The city sign reads No internal combustion engine allowed on boats.So that lake the city is clear what was unclear was the Regs because they USED to say the use of internal combustion engine I asked them to make it clear & now it reads. Under Special Rules Instructions
"In the Special Rules "motors prohibited" mean that fishing from a floating device equipped with a motor is prohibited.Internal combustion motors prohibited" means that fishing from a floating device equipped with an internal combustion motor is prohibited. "Equipped with" means the motor is attached to the floating device, regardless of whether the motor is in the water."
So now its very clear but if the lake is not listed then the lake is run by the city & it would depend on the city's definition.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #4 - 04/07/11 at 18:32:56
Quote Print Post  
One other note little off the subject but again I had lot of pain to get clarification When I ask the DOL did I need to register my small boat I was told Yes I said what if it only has electric motors They said any boat that has a motor well that is a load of crap.
http://www.boat.wa.gov/register.asp
To navigate, operate, employ, or moor your vessel in Washington, you must have a Washington title, registration card, and registration decals, except:
    * If your vessel is a canoe, kayak, or a vessel not propelled by a motor or sail.
    * If your vessel is less than 16 feet in length and has a motor of 10 horsepower or less and is used on non-federal waters only.
    * If your vessel is properly registered by a resident of another state or country who uses Washington waters for 60 days or fewer.
The registration card must be onboard whenever you use your vessel.

FYI Federal waters are Lake Washington & Sammamish

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

5dinks
WBC Board Member

2nd place is 1st LOSER!

Reply #5 - 04/07/11 at 21:27:54
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys! Was hoping for the "just tell the old codger he is senile, doesnt own the damn lake, and, my tax dollars and fishing liscense pay for "your lake" so KISS MY A$$!!!!!"  haha

Sponsors:    One of the 5 original members of Team Ass Pocket, New truck, 2nd hand Triton boat (Thanks Willie at NIXONS MARINE), used truck camper with used F150 (everything is paid for), misc rods and reels, endorsed by MY WIFE and sponsored by a 9-5 job.

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #6 - 04/08/11 at 01:22:19
Quote Print Post  
Here is a link that may help us all to know when that old codger is senile.  Wink

Local Regulations and Enforcement
http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/enforce.htm
Beyond the rules covered in the Adventures in Boating Washington Handbook, waterways have additional equipment and operational restrictions. Before boating on a particular waterway, check in with the sheriff’s office or police department for local regulations. Local boating ordinances can be found at www.mrsc.org/Codes.aspx. Washington state parks rangers, Department of Fish and Wildlife agents, and local authorities (city police, sheriff deputies) enforce the boating laws of Washington. The U.S. Coast Guard enforces laws on federally controlled waters.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #7 - 04/08/11 at 01:46:04
Quote Print Post  
By going to the highlighted link here is some interesting points I found:

08.60.150 - Speed Limits

B.   It shall be unlawful to operate a motor powered vessel or boat at a speed in excess of 60 MPH except during periods of lake congestion.  These periods were assessed to be Saturdays, Sundays and holidays during the summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day).  During periods of potential congestion, it shall be unlawful to operate any motor powered vessel or boat at a speed in excess of 45 MPH speed limit on the Lake from sunrise to sunset.    This section only applies to American Lake.

08.60.450 - Class "A" Lakes - Article IV. Specific Rules for Lakes and Other Areas

American Lake is designated as a Class “A” Lake, in that it covers 500 acres or more.
A. Specific Regulations for American Lake include the following:
It shall be unlawful to operate a vessel in excess of five miles per hour in the area known as Little American Lake which starts at the narrowest point of the channel leading into Little American Lake and encompasses the entire area of Little American Lake. This provision also prohibits water-skiing on Little American Lake.

08.60.460 - Class "B" Lakes

Lake Steilacoom and Gravelly Lake are designated as Class “B” Lakes, in that they cover 100 acres or more, but less than 500 acres.
A. Specific Regulations for Lake Steilacoom and Gravelly Lake include the following:

1. It shall be unlawful to operate any vessel in excess of five miles per hour from sunset to sunrise on Lake Steilacoom and Gravelly Lake.
2. It shall be unlawful to operate any vessel in excess of 40 miles per hour on Lake Steilacoom and Gravelly Lake.

So Don, post what ya find for "your" lake in question...

AIM  
IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #8 - 04/08/11 at 02:42:36
Quote Print Post  
OK Don, I found King County Lakes:

12.44.240  Beaver Lake restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engines on Beaver Lake;
12.44.250  Lake Margaret restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engines on Lake Margaret;
12.44.260  Lake Sawyer restrictions.
     A.  The following rules and regulations shall be adopted for use of motor-operated watercraft on Lake Sawyer:
       1.  It is unlawful to use or operate any watercraft powered by an internal combustion engine on Lake Sawyer, except that the following engines will be permitted:
         a.  Water-cooled outboard engines of stock manufacture or stock manufactured inboard engines with outboard drive units which vent all exhaust gases through the lower drive unit in conjunction with cooling water and/or vent at a point on the drive unit which is under water at all times;
12.44.260  Lake Sawyer restrictions.
     A.  The following rules and regulations shall be adopted for use of motor-operated watercraft on Lake Sawyer:
       1.  It is unlawful to use or operate any watercraft powered by an internal combustion engine on Lake Sawyer, except that the following engines will be permitted:
         a.  Water-cooled outboard engines of stock manufacture or stock manufactured inboard engines with outboard drive units which vent all exhaust gases through the lower drive unit in conjunction with cooling water and/or vent at a point on the drive unit which is under water at all times;

12.44.280  Steel Lake restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engines on Steel Lake;
12.44.290  Star Lake restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engines on Star Lake;
12.44.300  Lake Leota restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any watercraft powered by either internal combustion engines or electric engines on Lake Leota;
12.44.310  North Lake restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engines on North Lake;
12.44.320  Pipe Lake Lake Lucerne restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engines on Pipe Lake-Lake Lucerne;
12.44.330  Spring Lake restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Spring Lake,
12.44.340  Cottage Lake restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engines on Cottage Lake
12.44.610  Shadow Lake Restriction.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Shadow Lake, legally defined as "All the water of Shadow Lake, previously known as Spoon Lake,
12.44.740  Lake Desire Restriction.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Lake Desire,
12.44.750  Shady Lake Restriction.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Shady Lake,
12.44.760  Lake Joy Restriction.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Lake Joy,
12.44.770  Lake Walker Restriction.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Lake Walker,
12.44.780  Ronald Bog restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engines or electric engines on Ronald Bog,
12.44.790  Lake Dolloff restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Lake Dolloff,
12.44.800  Lake Killarney restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Lake Killarney,
12.44.810  Lake Holm restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Lake Holm,
12.44.820  Lake Wilderness restrictions.
     A. It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Lake Wilderness
12.44.830  Lake Twelve restrictions.
     A.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine, including remote-controlled, gasoline-powered model boats,
12.44.840  Lake Langlois restriction.
     A.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine, including remote-controlled, gasoline-powered model boats,
12.44.850  Lake Alice restriction.
     A.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Lake Alice,
12.44.860  Ames Lake restrictions.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engines on Ames Lake
12.44.865  Lake Geneva restriction.  It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Lake Geneva,

Now the question is: Did Don find his lake listed up above?  Huh

AIM  
IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/09/11 at 04:27:48
Quote Print Post  
If the lake has some pigs on it, then fish it and hope for the best. Or catch your biggest bass ever and pay the fine. Most police seem busy enough to not have the time to go to a lake because of someone fishing.

IP Logged

5dinks
WBC Board Member

2nd place is 1st LOSER!

Reply #10 - 04/09/11 at 11:00:55
Quote Print Post  
Rodney, Beaver Lake was the one that brought up the question and thanks for your efforts. I would really like a clarification "rock solid" from a piece of literature somewhere. Even the "outboard motors can not be used or operated" is able to be argued from either side. I could say I am not "using or operating it" and the tree huggers could say "you are not even supposed to have it on the water".  I guess I'll just risk it. The state really needs to address this issue tho and have a remedy ready..... Angry

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/09/11 at 15:39:29
Quote Print Post  
I remember last time this came up, someone said there were some County ordinances that are in the regs that applied to lakes. They need to just post a specific sing at each small lake launch saying what the deal is. My opinion is, if the motor isnt running....who gives a crap. Whatever little oil and gas people think are going to leak from the engine already runs off the roads into the water supply anyway.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo