Normal Topic Travel Rod (Read 1393 times)
Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Travel Rod
02/17/11 at 00:47:29
Quote Print Post  
A friend of mine down in Oregon has put together a little business to fill a void he had while fishing in Alaska.  That is a good rod that he could pack with him so that he knew he had good equipment to use instead of relying on what was available through the resorts.  Anyway the business is growing and he would like to add a good quality Bass Rod to the mix.

What would any of you folks like to see?  This would be a 3-Piece rod with a carring case and bag.  Any and all suggestions would be helpful.  His focus is Steelhead and Salmon i.e. 8 1/2 ft rods, he also has a trout rod and has just added a fly rod.  These rods are made by the folks at Sage and are very good rods at a very good price.  Here is the link to see what he is currently carrying. http://santiamfishingrods.com/

Anyway I have a couple of the rods and have already taken them with me on the plane and they are a nice addition to my collection.  Now to get a couple of good travel bass rods.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks
BillB

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Re: Travel Rod
Reply #1 - 02/20/11 at 16:08:20
Quote Print Post  
That's kinda like asking "I have a friend who wants to go golfing, what one club should he take with him?"

I suspect most beginning anglers throw plastics and spinnerbaits - so... maybe a 7 foot medium with a firm back bone and limber tip... but I could be all wrong on that...

Hmmm... putter, 6 iron, or driver?  Hard to pick just one!

IP Logged

bassparagus
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

I'm the reason why fish
don't sleep.

Reply #2 - 02/23/11 at 02:27:20
Quote Print Post  
How about the most versatile rod ever, the 6'6" mh.   He should invent a removable casting trigger though, or did I just do that?

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/23/11 at 02:35:07
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys

On several occasions I have been traveling and actually was not going fishing, at least to start with, but at the last minute decided to bring along a rod or two in the hope of finding a chance to do a little fishing.  I found it a little tricky to take any of my favorite rods as they are one piece.  So I purchased two piece rods after I got where I was going.  I agree that it is not easy to select only one or two rods as is easily atested to by the number of rods on the decks of some of our boats.

I sent my friend the specs for a dropshot rod and also a rod that I would use to throw a spinnerbait or a jig etc. (MH 6'6")  Smiley As I have found that these two will cover almost anything I would have confidence in if fishing water I have never seen before.

BillB

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo