Normal Topic Duck Laked Sprayed? (Read 1478 times)
Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Duck Laked Sprayed?
01/23/11 at 17:06:44
Quote Print Post  
I was asked by a friend at an account about what I heard about the spraying of Duck Lake in Ocean Shores to kill off the fish. This was to have happened this last fall, does any body have any info on spraying for either the control of weeds or fish kill on this lake?

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Kevin_B
Forum Member

I Love WBC! and beer

Re: Duck Laked Sprayed?
Reply #1 - 01/23/11 at 19:35:34
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rodney,not that I'm aware of...however,that doesn't mean much. I know it was rehabed a few years ago.I have a buddy that lives in Hoqium and fishes Duck often.I'll see if he has heard anything.
Hopefully it doesn't turn out like a Sprague Lake with constant rehab issues.
Years ago this lake was a nice producer of bass,still might be,just havn't been there for a couple years.
I'll see if I can find out any info

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/23/11 at 20:06:33
Quote Print Post  
Hi Guys,

I don't have any direct information, but I doubt very much that Duck Lake was treated with rotenone for fish rehabilitation. The lake has been sprayed for weed control in the past, and I am sure this goes on regularly. Fish "rehab" doesn't happen any more on the west side of the state except for extreme cases, such as when northern pike made it into Crocker Lake on the Olympic Peninsula. That lake was rehabbed in 1998, and I think was the last rehab on the west side.

The Department of Ecology handles most of the permitting for aquatic weed control. If you do some Googling with "Ecology" "Duck Lake" "Elodea" and similar terms, you'll see some links to weed control and grass carp planting in Duck Lake.

Chris

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/24/11 at 03:40:57
Quote Print Post  
buddy of mine fished it just before thanksgiving and he caught bass so i'm gonna say probably a weed control spray.

IP Logged

Kevin_B
Forum Member

I Love WBC! and beer

Reply #4 - 01/26/11 at 07:17:57
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I don't have any direct information, but I doubt very much that Duck Lake was treated with rotenone for fish rehabilitation. The lake has been sprayed for weed control in the past, and I am sure this goes on regularly. Fish "rehab" doesn't happen any more on the west side of the state except for extreme cases, such as when northern pike made it into Crocker Lake on the Olympic Peninsula. That lake was rehabbed in 1998, and I think was the last rehab on the west side.

The Department of Ecology handles most of the permitting for aquatic weed control. If you do some Googling with "Ecology" "Duck Lake" "Elodea" and similar terms, you'll see some links to weed control and grass carp planting in Duck Lake.

Chris

I think your right. Talked to my buddy,he wasn't aware of anything but mentioned that their was a weed kill off a couple years ago. I'm glad I asked,I had heard that it was rotenone from a few but looking at the WDFW website,I can't find anything to support those rumors. As far as I can tell,Duck hasn't received
any weed kills in more recent years.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo