Normal Topic Anchors (Read 1067 times)
StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Anchors
07/18/10 at 20:02:42
Quote Print Post  
I haven't done much anchoring of the boat - usually just drive to where I want to go and then use the trolling motor.

But we are going to be at Banks, Roosevelt and Potholes and plan to spend time in coves on flats, etc just hanging out in and swimming from the boat.

What kind of anchors do you use for your boats?  I am assuming we will be doing some double anchoring, with a shore stake and an anchor behind the boat.

Thanks,
Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Re: Anchors
Reply #1 - 07/19/10 at 01:45:17
Quote Print Post  
A 10 lb. mushroom anchor will do a fair job of keeping the boat where you left it, if it's not very windy or rough water. I use it to keep the boat near shore when launching at Lind Coulee, or keep it beached when I gotta do that.  The nice thing about the 'shroom anchor is that it doesn't tear up the boat as a fluted anchor could. I put it in a plastic paint bucket in the battery/gas compartment, along with the 30' or so of 5/16" poly rope.

I've left my boat near the mouth of Schlaegle Bay, anchored the bow into the prevailing breeze, and stuck the skeg into the sand, locked it all up, and waded into the bay for some fishing, carrying just one rod, and a few items in a fanny pack. Nicer to get the boat in, but there wasn't enough water that morning. Be sure to block the entrance with the boat enough to keep somebody from zinging in there on power. You won't like that, especially if you're standing on the sandbar & fishing the lillypads at the entrance! C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Re: Anchors
Reply #2 - 07/19/10 at 20:44:59
Quote Print Post  
I use a 12lb Minn-Kota "Crab-claw" anchor. Once I set it properly it holds well, I may have to add a small length of chain to help it set right (If it doesn't set properly, it will drag slowly and move). PLastic covered and I think it is filled with shot... I use a 50ft rope and a 2000lb Carabiner to secure it.

Faz

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo