Normal Topic Eastern Washington Bass Classic (Read 2118 times)
Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Eastern Washington Bass Classic
06/02/10 at 02:47:36
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys, I'm kicking an idea around.

Eastern Washington Bass Classic

A 2 day team tournament on Potholes in May, with lots of sponsor prizes and fun side pots, etc.

$200 a team

80% payback to 1/4 of field

Guaranteed $5K first place (more if more boats)

Payouts bolstered up by some sponsor dollars and prizes

The proceeds would go to support the EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY BASS CLUB?

Along with a Lake Clean-Up/Habitat Project that you would recieve a discount from a local retailer if you participate.

We could even run it in conjunction with the club tournament, so you could essentially fish both??

With the Eastern Washington University Fishing Club starting this Fall by me, looking to get started on some fundraising, plus I think it'd be a lot of fun to run a tournament.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Eastern Washington Bass Classic
Reply #1 - 06/02/10 at 04:55:19
Quote Print Post  
Nick,

I think it is a decent idea, but here are some comments:

1) If you have 50 teams show up, that generates $10K, so you'll have $8K + sponsor money to play with for prizes and logistics fees. That doesn't leave a lot for the rest of the field when you slurp $5K off the top.

2) If you are giving away $5K, you better be ready to run a tight tournament, because you're going to get a LOT of people that show up and expect a really well-run tournament. That is similar prize money to NW Bass, and they have water tanks, weigh-in trailer, sound system, etc.

3) If there are more than 50 boats, then I doubt the club will want to share a weekend with that tournament. Also, when someone asks if they can weigh in a club tourney and another one at the same time, that idea typically gets nixed by our past tournament directors.

4) Make sure you know what non-profits like a college fishing club can take in as income. There are a lot of rules associated with fund-raising and college clubs.

If you've got those issues figured out, then you are probably well on your way. But, I would recommend lowering the first place money bar a bit until you prove yourself by running at least one tournament. Maybe shoot for a $1-2K first prize and lower entry fee.

Chris

IP Logged

biggreen
Forum Member

Flippin Out

Reply #2 - 06/04/10 at 04:53:08
Quote Print Post  
Go for it Nick. But please don't use Western Bass Club for your fundraising event.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #3 - 06/04/10 at 20:11:11
Quote Print Post  
As thier own bass club they would not use westerns dates....and Nick....I saw the reception...or lack of....on another site and they are just protecting themselves and their interests...ie: SPONSORS. I say go for it....maybe a different lake or at least the first of the month so I can fish it and help out and if you need a Tournament Director I will gladly help out as it is time we get caught up with the rest of the country and get some recognition for the kids and their families from this state and the Northwest.
Here is the stat sheet for a local kid....Yes folks Joey Nania is on the open tour trying to qualify for the Elites through BASS....this is what we have been wanting to see....a local product making a go of it...GO JOEY!!
http://proxy.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/media/angler?anglerId=30138

IP Logged

Flippin Technician
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/10 at 23:33:04
Quote Print Post  
I support you Nick. If you round it up I will do my best to get there and participate. I have always enjoyed the open tournies more so than the circuts any way.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/04/10 at 23:57:00
Quote Print Post  
Nick,

I think this idea is great as I was thinking in the last two months to have a Limit Out Marine tournament on that lake in May as well. Maybe we should work together on this one. Limit Out could possibly sponsor the event if interested?

Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo