Normal Topic Coast guard Permit (Read 1844 times)
Rob M.
Ex Member

Coast guard Permit
04/22/10 at 21:46:51
Quote Print Post  
I was cruising around our fine fish and game website and was checking out the fishing contest stuff. I noticed that a special US Coast Guard permit is required to fish a contest in Lake Washington, Lake Union and Sammamish.

Anyone ever heard of this? They called it a navigable water permit or something like that. I haven't seen too many barges cruising in Sammamish yet. Awfully small canal to get through.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Coast guard Permit
Reply #1 - 04/23/10 at 00:51:28
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rob,

I don't think club fishing events would be subject to such a permit. Check out this link:

http://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/contentView.do?contentTypeId=2&contentId...

It states that the permits are for regattas or marine parades. These would include events that block navigation channels and might cause a dangerous boating environment if it wasn't controlled. It might be worth checking with the Coast Guard just to be safe, but I can't see anywhere in the rules that make fishing events part of this process. It is a little strange that WDFW would post something like that... probably just covering their bases.

Chris

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/23/10 at 02:33:21
Quote Print Post  
Here is the page I was reading. It also said some stuff about fishing Oregon sloughs and needing an Oregon permit and obeying their fish size regulations. Just stuff I never seen or heard of before

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/contests/other_permits.htm

IP Logged

Tnbasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/10 at 03:01:24
Quote Print Post  
Is it just me cause I haven't fished lately, I didn't know the club needed special permits to fish Lake Washington and adjoining waters?  Maybe I am behind times........Let me know......It sure seems everyone in the world wants their piece of an additional monetary pie to fish Washington Permited Waters?  What's next, city fishing permit?  I know.....don't suggest it.....they just might want that next.......

CP

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 04/23/10 at 12:18:10
Quote Print Post  
Rob

No permit needed. Navigable water way is defined as ever having commerce . Thank Lewis & Clark, Beaver slayers and the Beverly Hillbillies.

Ex-Coast guard employee

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo