Normal Topic Driving w/ boat on truck rack??? (Read 1878 times)
trucknmusic
Ex Member

Driving w/ boat on truck rack???
02/25/10 at 05:42:48
Quote Print Post  
Anybody know if it is ok (safe) to drive w/ a boat on your truck rack.  I am driving from Seattle to TX and have a 10ft bass hunter boat - weighs about 120lbs - that I wanted to take w/ me.  I can't put it in the bed like I usually do bc we are towing a trailer and it sticks out.  So I was thinking about buying a rack to put it on top - but it seems like they are made more for ladders/lumber and I don't know if it would work for a boat... any advice?

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Re: Driving w/ boat on truck rack???
Reply #1 - 02/26/10 at 05:10:58
Quote Print Post  
Jon, I Googled ladder racks and found even the lightest racks out there will handle 800 lbs, not sure if you want to spend that kind of money. I my self in past years have built me a ladder/canoe rack out of 2 X 4's for much less money. I know I would have no problem my self putting a bass hunter upside down on a ladder rack and strapping it down with ratchet straps.

OR

Sell the bass hunter on e-bay or craigs list, then go to Limit Out Performance Marine and buy you a Phoenix Bass Boat, I'm sure Russ could easily arrange delivery to Texas.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Reply #2 - 02/26/10 at 05:56:29
Quote Print Post  
I wouldn't think you would have any problems if you strap it down good like Rodney mentioned.  Depending on the trailer you might still be able to put your tailgate down and put it in the back like usual, not sure how much you looked into that but i do it with my canoe in the back and towing my bass boat all the time.

IP Logged

trucknmusic
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/26/10 at 17:57:43
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys! from asking around sounds like it won't be a problem - except for gas mileage.  I'm towing a uhaul trailer and they said it cuts too close and you can't have anything sticking out. 

Rodney,  I'm buying used for like $100 if I can find one to fit... then I'll sell it later.  Wife won't let me get a boat right now... so I am too scared to sell the only one I got...

IP Logged

trucknmusic
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/02/10 at 00:14:01
Quote Print Post  
Well couldnt find a rack that fit so I'm gonna sell  Cry  But the wife said I could get a new one when we get back  Smiley

IP Logged

Tnbasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/07/10 at 20:23:09
Quote Print Post  
My friend has put his aluminum boat for years on a rack and he even has it where it will pull it up electrically.   It should be fine, just make sure you tie it down good.

Good luck in your travels....

CP

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo