Normal Topic So where do you get your fishing info? (Read 1555 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

So where do you get your fishing info?
01/05/10 at 07:22:55
Quote Print Post  
I had a publisher contact me the other day about whether I was entertaining the idea of writing a book... but research says 60% of all books lose money for their publishers, and only 40% of Americans read books anymore.  So it got me to wondering where anglers get their information?

1)  Have you ever purchased a fishing book?  What kind?

2)  If you don't purchase books, do you get your fishing information from magazines, internet, seminars, or from friends?

Personally, I have purchased a handful of fishing books, but most information I read comes from periodicals like Bassmasters, Infisherman, and Bassin'.  

I find some info on the web, but tend to read it with a grain of salt unless I know the author and trust them.
How about you?

IP Logged

Henry_Dover
WBC Member

Re: So where do you get your fishing info?
Reply #1 - 01/05/10 at 21:37:42
Quote Print Post  
Yet another great question from my friend Chuck….

Where do I get my information?

I really had to think ~ I read magazines and watch fishing shows but that’s for entertainment not information. I believe that my information comes from experience, nothing beats time on the water. Typically I will go out pay attention to what forage the fish have and if I am real lucky one will spit something up, I program that into my mind rummage threw my tackle and try to duplicate it that day or the next time out. I guess Bass Pro and Cabala’s catalogs can be considered a good source of info for that because they have consolidated tackle options and types for me. I just recently have got into the psychological sports manuals or books I am trying to work on those strengths this year I think these will help my overall tournament performance but can’t claim this as a good source yet.

Sponsors: &&Denali Custom Fishing Rods&&Matzuo America &&Do-It Molds&&Optimum Swimbaits&&Reins Tungsten&&Boat Bling&&Blackwater International 'Toray'&&Anglers Marine
IP Logged

trucknmusic
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/06/10 at 07:27:32
Quote Print Post  
I bought and read a handful of books when I first got into Bass fishing... now I just read the magazines and occasionally a book my wife got for me.  Most books now are too basic or beginner.  If I were to buy another book, It would be specific to where I was fishing... for instance I would buy a book  on lk WA or northwest fishing ... but not just fishing.  I think without a big name to go along with it (KVD, Roland Martin, Unc Homer - I have all three) most general books dont stand a chance.  I would suggest instead making it more specific and selling fewer copies at a higher price.  My 2 cents...

On a side note.  I borrowed and read Mike Ike's book and found it very entertaining... not so much informative.  So I would definately by another book like that on an anglers life/story related to fishing but am not sure if there are any others? 

- Jon

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/07/10 at 02:23:09
Quote Print Post  
Chuck -

I 'd have to say magazines or the internet.  Books try to cover all bases from lures to pole, baits and some technique.  I feel mag and internet articles are more targeted and in greater depth.

Jon

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #4 - 01/07/10 at 04:01:05
Quote Print Post  
  When I first became a "bass" fisherman I subscribed to magazines such as InFisherman, Bassin', Lures, and moved right up to Bassmaster.  I bought the book series put out by Bassmaster.  Got internet and searched for all the bass fishing web sites.  I was hooked on the good old "TNN" saturday morning fishing shows. The local sports shows provided some good bass info for a few years with the warm water tank and good speakers.
  These days I get 2 magazines, Bassmaster and Bass Anglers Guide. Only refer to a small handfull of web sites. The fishing shows on TV aren't a must watch anymore. For some reason the local sportsman show has pretty much dropped bass fishing seminars.  I get much more info from the people I've befriended in the bass fishing world. The best info has come due to participation in the oldest bass fishing club in the nation.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Tnbasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/07/10 at 04:13:25
Quote Print Post  
Growing up in the good ole South, my fishing information was passed on by uncles and cousins, my dad, and friends.  As time went on, it was reading some books by the popular fisherman and then articles found in magazines.  Now that I have been fishing now for a few more years, I realize just how much I depend on time on the water, local clubs such as ours, fishing buddies and the best information of all........Mr. Bass himself.

I think one would be better off writing articles in a series and sharing their wealth.  Like you have mentioned, the internet age has eliminated alot of books and more information can be gathered quicker on line.  Whichever you choose, I'm sure any article or book you write and share with us will explain alot of things we all ask ourselves each and every day.   Your friend and ours (Mr. Gonzcy) should have put together a good book or series of articles......I miss that man's wealth of knowledge, especially about Lake Washington.........

Good Luck Chuck..........

Chuck Pigue

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo