Normal Topic How to survive an accidental plunge into cold (Read 2181 times)
Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

How to survive an accidental plunge into cold
01/04/10 at 01:14:37
Quote Print Post  

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Re: How to survive an accidental plunge into cold
Reply #1 - 01/04/10 at 23:44:03
Quote Print Post  
Get post Rodney A few things they did not talk about 1 the weight of your winter cloths can make it imposable to swim even when the water is warmer. 2 If you use a auto inflate PDF check that the C02 cartage is seated properly I had a belt type that the cartage seem to come lose on IE unscrew its self & that could have left me screwed Little lock tight on the thread is a must.
I would say everyone should wear there PDF at all time in the winter & when running the big motor all the time. The auto inflate ones are so comfortable I forget I am wearing it.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/07/10 at 03:40:05
Quote Print Post  
Great topic Rodney...thanks for bringing this issue up.   It's certainly a great reason to buy a life jacket that's comfortable like the inflatable kind. I guess It looks like I now know what I'll be asking my wife to get me for my birthday. Wink

Larry and Faz can certainly give you a great story about cold water immersion in 38 degree water about 3-4 years ago on Potholes in January...ooooh that must have been cold!!!! Shocked

In fact I had my own "Man overboard" experience in 49 degree water during the Potholes Open while fishing with Russ Baker.  Everyone who has fished the Potholes Open since 2005 knows all about my little mishap since Ken Kernanen the Tournament director at the time brought up the incident over and over during the Awards ceremony in front of hundreds of people ..how embarrassing Embarrassed Embarrassed

IP Logged

Tnbasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/07/10 at 04:17:34
Quote Print Post  
Rodney, good idea.  Russ Baker and I witnessed and participated in a cold water rescue a few years ago and let me tell you,,,,it was cold, the personnel were cold, red and about to loose it....They were extremely heavy and took both of us to pull one person in.......It is a very good subject and something we all should remember...

Chuck Pigue

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/07/10 at 06:00:49
Quote Print Post  
Chuck...wasn't the guy deceased? Sad

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/07/10 at 22:24:17
Quote Print Post  
Bob,

Not on these two they were both EMT's from the Cowlitz Cty dept who decided to take a canoe ride in a canoe built for smaller folks. These two had to have a weight in excess of 600 lbs together. It took two of us to pull these folks out.

Russ

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/08/10 at 01:04:39
Quote Print Post  
Bob,

The dead guy was pulled out of Silver lake by me back in the early 90's.

Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo