Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Possible Paul Elias interview! (Read 3543 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Possible Paul Elias interview!
10/26/09 at 19:35:42
Quote Print Post  
I just about peed my pants today when I opened my emails.  I had written to Manns Baits asking if they'd be willing to suggest someone to interview about crankbaits for my website.  Usually my requests gets me a knowledgeable guide or lure designer or semi-prostaffer, which I am  thankful for.  But imagine my surprise when Paul Elias himself wrote back and said he would love to do an interview with me and gave me his home phone number!  I had to change my pants!

Then Megabass emails back and tells me to contact Randy Blaukat, Luke Clausen, or Aaron Martens and gives me their email addresses.  Someone pinch me!  Help me out - who would you try first?

I gotta go do laundry... I wet myself again.

IP Logged

Jeff_I
Forum Member

Gorilla Hookset

Re: Possible Paul Elias interview!
Reply #1 - 10/26/09 at 23:22:50
Quote Print Post  
Very cool Rev !!!!  This is a great opportunity.  make it count.  Ask Elias what is was like to win the Falcon lake Tournament with 132# which I believe is the biggest total ever in a B.A.S.S. sanctioned event.

Jeff Iacchei

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/26/09 at 23:25:06
Quote Print Post  
Awesome, Chuck! Really cool. I would love to know if Paul Elias still likes to kneel and reel. Or, how often does he use the technique?

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Reply #3 - 10/27/09 at 00:19:55
Quote Print Post  
Of the names you mentioned, Paul Elias and Luke Clausen come to mind with crankbaits before the others, at least for me.  I think of drop-shotting/finesse when I think of Aaron Martens and flipping/pitching with Randy Blaukat....

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/27/09 at 03:34:52
Quote Print Post  
Definitely the Paul Elias interview.  Nothing like hearing from a crafty veteran of the sport who has stayed true to what got him to where he is at.

Mark

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/27/09 at 13:48:54
Quote Print Post  
Big Paul E.  -  How can anyone resist talking to someone who wieghed 132llb in a tourney! 

Besides, I like hearing from the older guys.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #6 - 10/27/09 at 18:00:08
Quote Print Post  
Ditto to Kirk's reasoning. 
Also be very careful or else go purchase some Depends prior to calling him on the phone. Grin

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #7 - 10/28/09 at 01:13:33
Quote Print Post  
Smiley Smiley Smiley Thats totally great!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Soon you'll be interviewing all the greats, like Bill Dance, Hank Parker, Jimmy Houston ..........

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #8 - 10/28/09 at 16:23:27
Quote Print Post  
What I want to know is when you will be setting them up to talk at the next club meetings Wink

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/28/09 at 20:04:21
Quote Print Post  
Well, I still haven't gotten a date and time from him yet, so I better not count my chickens until their hatched.  

I'm checking my email constantly but Paul doesn't strike me as a high-tech kind of guy - so I'll bet he only checks his emails occasionally and between tournaments, so I'll just have to bite my lip and be patient.  I'll let you know if he follows through on his email.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/29/09 at 16:10:28
Quote Print Post  
I just got off the phone with Paul Elias!  ...and I didn't stumble or stutter too badly - I think.  The interview is set up for tomorrow evening.  He'd like to just talk crankbaits in general.  And I'm thinking "Anything you want to do, we'll do."  (I am so damn demanding at times!  Wink)

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/01/09 at 22:28:39
Quote Print Post  
Well, it happened!  I spent just over an hour with Paul Elias Friday night.  Pretty cool!  He's been a hero of mine since way back when.  He is truly a "good ol'boy" from down south.  He did seem tired, so in as much as would have liked to pick his brain all night, I was thankful for the hour he gave me. 

The topic was helping a beginner to gain confidence deep water structure fishing with crankbaits.  He starts at the tackle store, equips the novice with rod, reel, line and deep diving crankbaits, then takes the beginner out and instructs them with the basics on using them.  Should be fun article to write.  Hope to have it ready for Wednesday.

If you never did see the three part ESPN video of him catching the record 132.8 lbs - check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQaDcqt2weM

And if you ever wanted to spend one or two days in private lessons with him - check out this out: http://indepthfishinglessons.com/  Now you know what to ask for at Christmas!   Wink

IP Logged

Castman
WBC Member

Reply #12 - 11/06/09 at 20:36:15
Quote Print Post  
Way to go Rev!!!  I've been out of town and missed this whole thread until today.  I would have had you say hi to Paul.  He has been a big supporter of CAST for Kids for years.  In fact about 7 years ago he and some other Pros did a fundrasier for me on Lake El Salto.  Heck of a guy!  Well except when I backseated him.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/08/09 at 01:33:15
Quote Print Post  
Part I went up on the web today.  It was a great experience.  Part II in a couple of days.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo