Normal Topic C.A.S.T (Read 1450 times)
Larry S.
Board Moderator

C.A.S.T
09/13/09 at 15:19:30
Quote Print Post  
Hey folks...Thanks to all who attended the Cast Event at Gene Coulon Park. We were ten boats or so short...even a couple pleasure boaters helped out!!! some of us took out two sets of kids and their folks/caregivers...all boats caught fish and some quality!!! our first fish was a 1-1/4 Smally!! Was great seeing the kids light up as the fish were felt...at times for the very first time!!!
Rodney, John G., Chuck, Brian and Bree, and of course Jim Owens and friends thanks for a great time!!

IP Logged

Castman
WBC Member

Re: C.A.S.T
Reply #1 - 09/14/09 at 19:22:47
Quote Print Post  
Larry, Faz, Rodney, John G., Chuck, Brian and Bree -

Thank you so much for coming out to help with the CAST event this past Saturday.  I hope you know how much myself and all the kids and their parent appreciate your efforts.  I want you to know that you DO make a difference.  Below is a quote from one of the parents.

This single mother said she has been raising her grandson Alex since he was little, and finds it hard because few can imagine how much effort it takes to raise a disabled child. She didn't think anybody cared to help until she saw the C.A.S.T. 

The day was a landmark one for her, she said.

"To see these men come out ... I'm just in awe of this," she said.

She described the event as a birthday come early for Alex, who turns 7 next month.

Alex, who has an allergic reaction to most common things, can't even have a birthday cake, for risk of becoming ill.

If it weren't for C.A.S.T., he would never have been able to have such a good time, she said.

"No matter what, I'm never gonna forget this," she said. "This is the real thing!"

She is definitely right.  This is the real thing and you all help provide it.  Thankx!!!!

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #2 - 09/14/09 at 19:54:34
Quote Print Post  
I had a great time at this event.My first but not my last. It was so much fun to see how excited Brett got with every fish he got I think the best part was when he helped me drive the boat & all he wanted to do was put the hammer down  Cheesy
Brett had many physical challenges & was not able to communicate very well but he quickly learned how to read that depth finder & was reeling them in like a pro.
I have wanted to attend this event since the day I got my boat last year. All I have to say is I would have paid 2x as much for that boat & put in 10 times more  work just to hear that laughter again.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #3 - 09/15/09 at 04:50:48
Quote Print Post  
This was my second year as a boat captain, not my last either.  The smiles on the kids faces and the thank you from the parents is priceless.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/17/09 at 05:47:21
Quote Print Post  
My partner's name was Cassy who wanted to beat his record from last year of 20 fish.  He caught 58 and was ecstatic!  We caught sunfish, perch, crappie, smallies, and largemouth.  We ran out of worms with only a few minutes to go.  Perfect timing.  What perfect weather!  (Don't tell anyone, but I let Cassy drive the boat and he was grinning ear to ear!  He thought my 34 mile an hour tin boat was a "Go-fast-speed-boat!"  If he had been put in a bassboat he would have peed his pants! Haha)  I was having so much fun baiting hooks throughout the morning that I forgot to put sunscreen on and got burned good - but it was worth it!  C.A.S.T. is a first class act.  Nothing but joy at Gene Coulon that day.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/17/09 at 10:27:15
Quote Print Post  
I wouldn't miss it for the world! This was my 9th year, even when the boat wasn't running I went and worked "shore duties". One year another member called me and told me he would bring his boat and let me run it, while he worked the dockside.

This year I had a 9yr old girl Melissa and her Uncle John - she wound up with 3-4 Smallies, a couple of Perch and the hugest grins and howls of laughter running around Mercer at barely 40mph! Her Aunt told me she had gotten the whole family up at 6am that morning to make sure they would not be late!!

See y'all next year.

Faz

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo