Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another Website is born... (Read 4360 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Another Website is born...
08/18/09 at 23:45:21
Quote Print Post  
Well, I thought I'd spend the summer learning HTML and design my own website around my favorite lure: the crankbait.  I made my goal - so here it is...

http://www.crankbaitcentral.com

WARNING: it is only in it's test stage, so it is missing a lot of content, but its up.

I wonder if you wouldn't mind examining my first attempt and giving me back some feedback.  Go easy on me, I'm an amateur!  

Obviously it is not a generalized site, but very specific in nature - a "niche site".  And yes, it will eventually be multi-species because crankbaits are used by various groups of anglers, but most of the content will come from bass and walleye sources.  Eventually you will see articles from Muskie, Pike, Trout (for Brian Walker), Strippers, Crappie, etc...

Down the road, I hope to have a forum and several other features, but one challenge at a time.  Check back every once in a while and see how it is coming.

REMEMBER: All browsers work differently, so what looks good on my browser may not show up correctly on another.  So if you see a picture missing, or overlapping words, or banners going off the page, etc... please let me know what browser and what version of that browser you are using so I can make adjustments to the code.  These adjustments are called "hacks" and are inserted to meet the idiosyncrasies of specific browser.  (See - I am learning!)

Thanks ahead of time for your honest feedback.  CB

PS:  If you are knowledgeable of a qualified crankbait expert that you could put me in contact with, I'd like to interview them and write an article based on it.  Networking is one of my next vital goals.  They don't have to be a professional tournament angler, (not everone can go that route), but perhaps they are a guide, pro-staffer, or just master angler.  The key is - can they share knowledge that helps anglers grow and that promotes the enjoyment of the sport.[ftp][/ftp]
« Last Edit: 08/19/09 at 02:57:45 by »  

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Re: Another Website is born...
Reply #1 - 08/18/09 at 23:55:11
Quote Print Post  
I think this will work better Rev....

www.crankbaitcentral.com

I like the website....very easy to navigate and great articles!

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #2 - 08/19/09 at 01:08:51
Quote Print Post  
You're off to a very good start, I fully enjoyed your #2 article, probably as much as you enjoyed writing it if not more.

On the "About Us" page the link on the bottom of the page for "Crankbait ABC's" takes me back to the top of the page and not to "Crankbait ABC's".  That is all I've noticied at this time. Good Luck and Great Job.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/19/09 at 03:08:33
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for pointing that out.  I fixed the link.  Wonder what else I missed?  (Too close to the forest to see the trees, I guess). Appreciate it. Anyone else?

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/19/09 at 03:52:12
Quote Print Post  
Very nice logo!  How about a crankbait review page where you give feedback on various crank types?

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #5 - 08/19/09 at 15:14:37
Quote Print Post  
Great start for a novel idea Chuck.  I especialy liked your subject and choice of words in the dedication! Smiley

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #6 - 08/19/09 at 19:19:35
Quote Print Post  
WOW I might start catching fish on crank baits now  Wink

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/19/09 at 20:47:05
Quote Print Post  
It is a good start Chuck, now the work begins   Wink

I have book marked your site onto my favorites list and am looking forward to learning alot about crankbaits.

Thank you for developing this site.

BillB

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/19/09 at 22:14:30
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the encouraging words.  The logo I designed myself - though I'm sure if someone with a design background got a hold of it they could do better.  Still poor men can't be beggars!

The idea of crankbait reviews is on my list - but I'm glad to hear that it is something you'd be interested in.

And yeah, I used spell checker, but that doesn't catch the fact that you used the wrong word, grammar, tense, etc...  Guilty as charged - I was an old shop teacher, not an English major! Haha  I need to get a proof reader for sure.

And Internet Explorer 6.0 gives me the willies - I hear nothing but nightmares about it.  Still, I'm eager to learn, so whenever you get the chance I'd be tickled to talk to you Glenn.  Thanks!

As to my dedication - Larry Gonczy was a good friend and a great fishing mentor.  I can't help but think of him and not laugh!  And I think of him often.

IP Logged

Flippin Technician
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/26/09 at 17:26:24
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rev. Great site as I see it so far. I am by no means an expert in the crank bait area. I do, however, have a big spot in my heart for the wobbling hard baits. Up until my trip to Lake Erie this spring my biggest smallie ever came on a bomber long A in rainbow trout pattern at Lake Whatcom. I throw cranks often but I have never become totally confident in them. I will visit often and maybe I can increase my confidence and ability in crankin the day away. I can say from my own personal obsevation that when I thow cranks I generaly end up with bigger fish. Thanks for your efforts and willingness to share the wisdom with all of us. If I come up with anything that might help your venture I will let you know! Keep up the great work!

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/30/09 at 02:22:17
Quote Print Post  
At this moment, I am translating a telephone interview into the printed word.  It was with Mike Seifert, a long time guide on Lake Millwood in Arkansas - who has been connected to Rat-L-Trap for 25 years.   Interesting and knowledgeable guy!  So there will be an article or two starting next week on lipless crankbaits.  I have another interview with Jim Binns, a guide on Toledo Bend on Thursday.  What a blast!  I just say "I'm with Crankbait Central..."  and expert fishermen are eager to talk to me about my favorite subject - can it get any better?

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/08/09 at 16:36:30
Quote Print Post  
Some one just shoot me! 

Last week I interviewed a guy (outdoor writer/editor of some outdoor Texas fishing publications) who lives on Toledo Bend.  It went 1 hour and forty minutes and we're discussing crankbait colors, etc....  How do I remember what a man says over that length of time when I can't even remember that my wife asked me to take out the garbage?  My brand new digital recorder that hooks up to the phone and allows me to play back the message sentence by sentence as I put it down in written form - word by word.  It's a no fail system, right?
-
WRONG! While taking a nap, one of my cats jumped up on my lap top and turned the computer off while the recorder was still hooked up and... and you guessed it.  The last 20 minutes of the discussion now reads..."Damaged file!"  Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Any one know how to cook cat?  Do you fry them like chicken, or bake them?

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Reply #12 - 09/09/09 at 14:09:13
Quote Print Post  
Rev,

I'd suggest a good salt and peppering, rolled in flour, and then fried but not as long as chicken, cats tend to get tough if you overcook them Smiley

Sorry to hear you lost a portion of your recording, but you always learn from your mistakes and I'll bet you don't leave the recorder hooked up while you take a nap and your cats waltz across your laptop Wink

I did want to say great site, I got a lot out of the articles I've read so far and they are very informative.

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #13 - 09/10/09 at 04:59:14
Quote Print Post  
Some where in this learning curve of doing your web site there may be a humorous story.  One day this story will become a written article to humor us all.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/12/09 at 03:23:01
Quote Print Post  
Diced, with assorted vegetables chopped small..... Catatoiulle!!!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo