Normal Topic Congrats Dover/Stahlman VMO (Read 2524 times)
basspro
Ex Member

Congrats Dover/Stahlman VMO
08/03/09 at 18:26:20
Quote Print Post  
Congrats to Dover/Stahlman team for a 4th place and big fish of tourney at last weekends Valley Marine Open.

Also congrats to The Bobber Boy Barr Team for cashing for the smallest weight .71 lbs and worth $180. We saw Nick barr in the punch bowl throwing a bobber and a fly was it Nick to try to catch some 2" bass.

Nick commented that it was quite a challenge persuing those 2" bass.

We couldn't buy a fish over 2 lbs but had a blast anyway catching largies on top water. Culled both days. Had two fish over 3 lbs unbutton on us.

Took 20lbs to cash.

Russ

IP Logged

Angie
Forum Member

I Love WBC!

Re: Congrats Dover/Stahlman VMO
Reply #1 - 08/03/09 at 20:24:42
Quote Print Post  
Congrats to my guys,  you worked hard and it paid off!!
Congrats to ALL who fished,  record breaking temps, Saturday was 105deg on land!!

IP Logged

Flippin Technician
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/04/09 at 13:48:16
Quote Print Post  
Hey great job to the Dover/Stahlman team. They were able to get the bigger bites that were tough to come by. As usual a few folks get in the right spot at the right time and it all comes together. As Russ said I lost a couple of pretty nice fish on Sunday morning. It has always amazed me when you throw a giant topwater bait with 9 hooks in it that they can jump and shake that thing free. Take that same bait put one hook in your own finger. Shake your hand as hard as you can and all 9 hooks are buried into your hand. How can it be so?

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #3 - 08/04/09 at 15:15:00
Quote Print Post  
Good to see you made it back ok Russ. How was the wait for AAA treating ya? Smiley

Overall it was fun and it was hot but still way better than work!!!!

Misunderstood

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/04/09 at 17:11:08
Quote Print Post  
Mike,

Well Triple A showed up about 5:30 and we were back on the road by 6. So when I got home about 10:30 I was dead tired after all the heat from the weekend.

Personally I just can't handle the 100+ temps any more. I drank plenty of fluids and was pouring water over my head all day but my head still felt boiled.

I also ended up beating myself up for just catching 2 fish on saturday and two on sunday. For 8-10 hours of fishing thats not much of a reward for working so hard. Banks for me in August is brutal. I runned and gunned sevral good areas but just couldn't put it together. We were fishing with Senkos on grass lines like the winners did just could not buy the bigger fish.

We discovered a great top water bite sunday morning and wish we would have found this pattern and area on saturday. What I have found in the last couple of years on the lake is a diminishing stock of bait fish - perch, blue gills, etc. The fish for me are harder to pattern even though every fish we caught were spitting up I think were Walleye fry.

Oh well thats fishing. You do the best you can, you fish hard and you still come up empty.

Congrats again for figuring it out.

Russ

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #5 - 08/04/09 at 18:23:51
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the Kudos Russ. Henry and I had a great time.

We spent Friday pre-fishing and found really only 3 places that was holding fish. I’m sure there was more but we narrowed it down to 3. We were confident they would pay off and luckily they did.

It takes some luck to win or place in any tournament as far as I am concerned. First you have to find the fish, then you have to try and get them to bite. If they finally do bit you got to hook em and then get em to the boat. At the Jack and Jill everything went right for Danica and I. The kinda weekend you dream of. Pull up to a spot make a cast and BOOM. Big fish. Those kinda days happen but are few far and between. Hopefully when they do happen you are fishing a tournament!

We had some good luck and some bad luck this last weekend. Had some big fish hooked and hit out lures but couldn't get em in. We needed a bit more luck to win but we are both happy and heck to finish were we did. I can see you also needed some luck.

Oh by the way if anyone is interested there is a Legend Elite 7' Medium Heavy Baitcast Rod with a Daiwa Zillion attached to it at the bottom of Banks. I can get the rods, it's the reels that hurt Cry

Angie Dover is the best cheerleader anyone could have in their corner!

Misunderstood

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/04/09 at 22:05:13
Quote Print Post  
I 2nd the Angie Dover cheerleader.

Thanks for the help of support about our breakdown at the camp. I wouldn't want anyone of my buddies to change a flat in 100+ degree temps after just fishing in those temps for 2 days.

Russ

IP Logged

Angie
Forum Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #7 - 08/05/09 at 02:38:19
Quote Print Post  
We also wanna give Thane and Phil a big high 5!!!

They moved up from 5th place to 2nd place ~ Good Job

Smiley

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #8 - 08/05/09 at 16:33:47
Quote Print Post  
Ok that's enough wins for the Dover name Time for some other WBC players to win  Grin

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #9 - 08/05/09 at 18:09:02
Quote Print Post  
Way to go Thayne and Phillip! The monkey has stinky fingers Grin

There were a few WBCers over there. Not sure why more don't enter any opens like this one? It's fun fishing.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo