Normal Topic Test Your WA State Tournament Knowledge (Read 2210 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Test Your WA State Tournament Knowledge
07/09/09 at 05:22:00
Quote Print Post  
In March of 2007, Bruce M. Baker of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife wrote a report entitled “Summary Report of Results of Bass and Walleye Fishing Contests Held in Washington 2006”  (No newer reports have been filed online).  It had some interesting data in it… so I threw together a little quiz and thought I’d give you a chance to see how good you are at guessing the answers.

1)  In 1980 there were 66 bass contests in the state, in 1990 there were 125.  How many were held in 2006?
     a) 135
     b) 147
     c) 162
     d) 188

2)  A total of ______________ fish were caught (smallmouth and largemouth).
     a)  18,200
     b)  22,371
     c)  26,893
     d)  29,221

3)  The average weight per bass was __________ pounds.
     a) 2.01
     b) 2.34
     c) 2.41
     d) 2.67

4)  When both species (largemouth and smallmouth) were encountered,  ____________ percent of the total number of bass caught were smallmouth bass and ____________ percent were largemouth bass.
     a)  46%, 54%
     b)  54%, 46%
     c)  61%, 39%
     d)  75%, 25%

5)  A total of _____________ percent of all bass weighed in during contests were released alive and reported in good condition.
     a) 89%
     b) 92%
     c) 97%
     d) 99%

In a couple of days, I’ll give the answers, OR you check them out for yourself on

http://www.secstate.wa.gov/library/docs/DFW/basswalleye/2006_bass_walleye_summar...

…tell us how you did, but don’t talk about the answers until the cat is out of the bag.  Have fun!

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Re: Test Your WA State Tournament Knowledge
Reply #1 - 07/10/09 at 02:08:29
Quote Print Post  
1) D
2)C
3)A
4)C
5)D

got a feeling i did poorly  Grin  curious to see the ratio between smallies and largies

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/10/09 at 03:48:34
Quote Print Post  
Missed two, got three right!  But which ones...? Roll Eyes  Whose next?

IP Logged

Angie
Forum Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #3 - 07/11/09 at 01:46:46
Quote Print Post  
what about
D
D
A
C
B
Cheesy

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/11/09 at 01:55:22
Quote Print Post  
1. b
2. c
3. d
4. d
5. d

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/11/09 at 05:43:32
Quote Print Post  
Glenn got it right.... DBADD

1)  In 1980 there were 66 bass contests in the state, in 1990 there were 125.  There were 188 in 2006?

2)  A total of 22,371 fish were caught (smallmouth and largemouth).

3)  The average weight per bass was 2.01 pounds.

4)  When both species (largemouth and smallmouth) were encountered,  75% percent of the total number of bass caught were smallmouth bass and 25% percent were largemouth bass.

5)  A total of 99% of all bass weighed in during contests were released alive and reported in good condition.

Number 4 caught me off guard - kind of interesting!

And... I'm tickled to see that 99% release alive rate.  (That still doesn't mean I don't think Banks Lake would suffer any if we had a fish fry of the smaller fish!   Grin

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/13/09 at 19:44:57
Quote Print Post  
Interestingly, when you look at the graph in that report showing percent largemouth caught vs. percent smallmouth, there was a large switch from mostly largemouth to mostly smallmouth... tournaments have changed a lot over the years for anglers. Of course, I think some of this data is thrown off in the past few years since many largemouth that could have been weighed in at Banks or Tri-Cities were not because of the May/June off-limits period.

Thanks for posting the link to the report, Chuck.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #7 - 07/13/09 at 20:29:10
Quote Print Post  
#1 B
#2 B
#3 A
#4 D
#5 D

O that was so easy

Now that the answers are there  Grin Tongue

Hey what does Glen win for 100%

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/14/09 at 12:18:34
Quote Print Post  
Hey Sarge... why do you think there was no report for 2007 or 2008?  Did they just not get the reports on the Web, or did the gentleman who wrote them quit?  Or did they run out of funding?  As our local connection to the the WA State Fisheries, do you have any insight as to why the reports stopped coming?

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/16/09 at 00:45:45
Quote Print Post  
Chuck,

Without looking into it yet, I would guess that they are just behind on reporting. I don't know Bruce Baker's (the report author)current status. It is possible that the work has been done and just hasn't been posted yet... If I find anyting out, I'll let you know.

Chris

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo