Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Getting Old Sucks!!! (Read 3942 times)
Larry S.
Board Moderator

Getting Old Sucks!!!
06/09/09 at 17:48:39
Quote Print Post  
Even for a boat!!!
The ProCraft is Six years old and is feeling the years.....The Steering ram seals are shot...($350.00) and the wiring harness for power supply is needing to be almost completely replaced due to corrosion and shorts...($350.00-$450.00) and a week or so for repairs.....looks like no pre-fish and lots of O.T. at work this week end! Cry Sad Tongue

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Re: Getting Old Sucks!!!
Reply #1 - 06/09/09 at 18:04:34
Quote Print Post  
Oh, the joys of owning a boat.  And backseaters wonder why we boat owners are so uptight some times.

mark

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #2 - 06/09/09 at 18:17:48
Quote Print Post  
Word

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/09/09 at 18:46:27
Quote Print Post  
Break Out Another Thousand.  My engine warranty ran out in May, so I'm hoping all is well with the Cat for MANY years to come.  *knock on wood* 

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 06/09/09 at 19:22:17
Quote Print Post  
Trade it Larry. Sell your headache, before it nickle and dimes you to death.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #5 - 06/09/09 at 22:20:28
Quote Print Post  
LOL I just got my parts for my boat $300 hope I did my diagnoses right Took 2 weeks for the parts to get here but they were cheaper.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/10/09 at 00:08:45
Quote Print Post  
Hey, boats are like houses: you don't own them, they own you!  Still, you sure can get attached to them.  Then when they abuse you, (with repair bills), you feel guilty about the thought of letting them go.  

Hope my wife doesn't treat me like a boat - I'm getting old and my parts are starting to fall off or are in need of repair - increasingly expensive repairs.  The idea of being traded in... kinda scary! ha

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #7 - 06/10/09 at 00:37:32
Quote Print Post  
Rev, as long a you don't spring any leaks and remain solid and stable I'm sure your wife will keep you afloat.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Reply #8 - 06/10/09 at 00:53:15
Quote Print Post  
I feel your pain Larry!  Last spring I was into my boat $1400.00 before I ever got to fish in some decent weather.  I don't know if I agree with selling it though, the thought of a new boat in this economy, when mine is already paid for, scares the britches off of me.

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #9 - 06/12/09 at 16:10:11
Quote Print Post  
Well I took the boat on WA yesterday to test if my repairs did the trick & yes it runs so I am back It turned out to be a bad power pack It would only fail when hot I put new coils on also to be on the safe side. Also got my Keel shield installed man what a PIA that is.Next I have to fix my little boat the trolling motor acting up could be brushes or the speed control. Now if I could just fix my fishing  Cry

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

bassboattech
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/13/09 at 01:56:55
Quote Print Post  
a little prev maint goes along way.......maybe on the next one

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/13/09 at 05:11:12
Quote Print Post  
Even the little things add up, I just had to remount and rewire the Trolling motor, mounting bolts were coming off and almost impossible to reach (Terry Steffenson can vouch for that) so they have been replaced with "Quick-nuts" similar to drywall anchors but much heavier of course. Also fitted a new prop nut kit for the Minn Kota, replacing the standard nylock nut with a wing-nut type fitting to make clearing line out much easier (yes, I do that too!!!) and a new pin to replace the bent one.

Then we have two broken louver vents and a broken drain valve, plus the threads on the bilge plug (threaded, not push-in) are crumbling. I have ordered a cool gadget to replace it,

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageBBSP-BBSDPS.html

a remote drain plug that you never need to leave the boat to put in or take out (nice Bob huh!!!). Apart from that I still have the problem with idling in neutral, and missing a couple of hundred RPM at top end.

After all that, the boat is still running well for it's age (16 years old).

Faz

IP Logged

biggreen
Forum Member

Flippin Out

Reply #12 - 06/13/09 at 13:49:40
Quote Print Post  
ROFLMFAO, Now that is some fun ny stuff dudes! Well not the costs and boat repairs but the presentations are awesome!!!!!

IP Logged

biggreen
Forum Member

Flippin Out

Reply #13 - 06/13/09 at 17:22:24
Quote Print Post  
Hey Larry,

If there is anything I can do to help get you on the water just let me know.

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #14 - 06/13/09 at 23:46:06
Quote Print Post  
OK, after what happened this morn I'll add all about my G3.  At the last fish-in on Lake Washington my Gator mount latch pin broke.  I went to Anglers Marine and Bob hooked me up with a pin he pulled out of an old mount he laying around.  I liked a 7 foot rod medium heavy rod he had on hand, so after several days of thinking about it I went back and got it. Cost of latch pin $0.00, price of rod after discount was around $100.  Then this morning my star board rod security bungee is broke, that old rubber has seen its life expectancy I think.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo