Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Boat dealer question (Read 3752 times)
basspro
Ex Member

New Boat dealer question
05/27/09 at 00:51:52
Quote Print Post  
I know I am expecting differing opinions here so I want your honest thoughts.

If someone were to open up a new bass boat dealership what brand would be preferred and why.

Russ

IP Logged

biggreen
Forum Member

Flippin Out

Re: New Boat dealer question
Reply #1 - 05/27/09 at 01:05:10
Quote Print Post  
Triton, Skeeter, Stratos and Ranger. I am still sold on Triton myself but with prices and the unsureties of the economy it is difficult to justify that cost.

So a good selection to compare is a must!

Just my opinion.

Fly Triton!!!!! Cool

IP Logged

biggreen
Forum Member

Flippin Out

Reply #2 - 05/27/09 at 01:06:36
Quote Print Post  
Oh! Russ, the value for your money!

Phil

IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Reply #3 - 05/27/09 at 01:20:15
Quote Print Post  
Champion, and Triton.  You would be the only champion dealer around.  Triton and Skeeter might be hard to compete with Nixons but they have became rather popular around here I would look for variety and a few brands that aren't already available in this state.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #4 - 05/27/09 at 01:25:00
Quote Print Post  
Here's your Champion dealer:

http://www.clearwater-marine.com/

Go pick up a new one Joel, and be sure to hit Whatcom before you leave town  Cheesy

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/27/09 at 01:27:31
Quote Print Post  
I was thinking of carrying Bass Cat and Express boats.

Russ

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/27/09 at 01:44:52
Quote Print Post  
I popped this question because I have heard from so many people that fish around here who always say and I quote, " I wish there was a dealer around here who could take better care of my needs".

Nixons does a great job of promoting there products and supports many of us who not only compete but fish for fun as well. And yes I wish they were closer to. Conraths marine in Spokane is also a great dealership, but its in Spokane.

As many of you know I own and operate my own business and was looking at the possibility of starting another business not related to my current company. The best part would be that I could house both companies in the same building and offer storage as well.

I have allready found a great location and am checking with my real estate agent now on the costs.

Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/27/09 at 05:11:42
Quote Print Post  
Russ,

I know they don't have a large line of bass boats, but I think Lowe makes some really quality jonboats and multi-species aluminum boats for the price. Cabela's would be the nearest competitor... their prices may be hard to beat.

Chris

IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Reply #8 - 05/27/09 at 05:24:34
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Here's your Champion dealer:

http://www.clearwater-marine.com/

Go pick up a new one Joel, and be sure to hit Whatcom before you leave town  Cheesy

My bad I didn't know they started carrying Champions.  I think I might just go pick up a new one.......in about 15 years Cheesy

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/27/09 at 12:48:12
Quote Print Post  
Ok here's my list.  Pheonix bass boats for your flagship.  Then either stratos/procraft/or nitro for the backup line of boats.  As for tin lineup, lowe, lund, or crestliner.
  After talking with a guy who got a phoenix, and seeing the pix of the innovations on that boat, I'm thinking they are ahead of everyone else in the industry right now.

Mark

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #10 - 05/27/09 at 13:38:18
Quote Print Post  
I think before considering what boats, you need to find out what the manufactures require you to order and put on your lot. I know when champion was at Nisqually, he was required to have at a minimum of $250, 000 worth of boats on his lot. The boats had to be floor planned by the bank or bought out right. In addition, the boats were only floor planned for 6 months by the bank, then had to be bought by the dealership or sold.

Also, the geographic area is what a manufacturer will look at, as far as enough people to sell to. You have Nixon's/Anglers Marine; The Guy in Vancouver, WA; Conrath Marine, Spokane; Cabelas, Three Rivers Marine, and dealers in Nampa, ID.

Anyway, I would look at east coast manufactures that would consider expanding into the west. You might be surprised at the quality of boats. I would not want to get in bed with GENMAR who owns, Ranger, Stratos, Javlin, Champion, and a lot of others. I think there requirements would kill you. Plus, Skeeter and Triton are in Nixon's territory and you could not compete for a couple of years until you proved yourself to that market.

My 2 cents, Go Triton.

Daryl

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #11 - 05/27/09 at 13:50:45
Quote Print Post  
I would look at Phoenix Boats and Bass Cat. Phoenix seems to be getting more popular and you can choose from 5 different engine manufactures.  Price wise  allot for you money. Bass Cat, possibly the best customer relation of all the boat buildersl plus great quality.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #12 - 05/27/09 at 14:16:45
Quote Print Post  
I would have to side with the fire dud and Champ 206. Smiley  Phoenix is an innovative company that's hungry.  They have good management (former president of Stratos) and the nearest dealer is in Nampa.  Bass Cat is a great company with a great product.   I  personally know  the owners to be honest and straightforward. Either one would make a great premier line with Stratos or Nitro as a second choice.  For the aluminum boats Crestliner, Starcraft, or Lowes would most likely fill the needs of most consumers. 
I strongly feel that as a dealer you should not take on a boat line that requires you to marry it to a particular engine.  The bread & butter of a dealership is it's service department.  Make sure you can count on getting a couple of mechanics who are well trained and up-to-date with ALL the engines lines; Mercury, Evinrude, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda.  You don't have to stock all those engines, but you had best be prepared to repair them.
My.02!

Smitty Wink
AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/27/09 at 18:41:54
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys for all your input. I stongly believe that the service dept. is the number one item that must be extremely good at what it does.

Russ

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #14 - 05/27/09 at 21:16:22
Quote Print Post  
A strong Service Dept would help promote boat sales.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo