Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Moses Winner! (Read 6018 times)
Troy
Ex Member

Moses Winner!
05/18/09 at 03:54:24
Quote Print Post  
heard from a clubber that Brian hudgins won moses with 30+.  Congrats Brian!

troy

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Moses Winner!
Reply #1 - 05/18/09 at 04:23:03
Quote Print Post  
The fishing was pretty awesome this weekend for most. I'll just give a quick update for those that couldn't make it. Everyone else throw in their two cents in case I missed something because of my tiredness.

You needed 30 pounds to be in the Top 5. Bryan Hudgens had over 32 pounds to win, I believe. The Hankinson twins, now known as the SPANKinsons, finished 2 and 3. Russ Baker and Chris Blandi were 4 and 5. Chris caught a GIANT sack of largemouth today for 19+ pounds. I believe that is the second biggest stringer I've seen since I joined the club 15 years ago. Bob Payseno also had a great stringer today. There were several smallmouth over 5 pounds weighed in, most of those by Ron Hankinson. There was also a 7 pound largemouth for big fish weighed by Alan Herrera (hope I spelled that right). To get an idea of how many good weights there were, I finished 9th with 8 fish for 23+ pounds. You needed good weight to get into the top 10!

Generally, the fish were in all sorts of pre-spawn, spawn, and post-spawn phase. Lots of different patterns worked. Smallmouth seemed to dominate the catch, but there were plenty of largemouth, as well. So, the moral of the story... Moses is a new lake for most of us, but it paid off well! A great time had by all even with the other tournament taking place on Saturday. The weather was beautiful, as well.

Chris

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 05/18/09 at 04:25:05
Quote Print Post  
You heard correct.  Awesome tournament, and I hope we never fish the Holes again  Tongue (kidding)
It was great to see the turnout.  

The website talk before the tournament was making my mouth water.  The fishing was definetly on last weekend, but a few didn't find them so it turned them off to fishing the tournament.  You missed out.  

Congrats to those that did well !!  What a fun tournament.  The weather was identical to last weekend.  We got lucky, they had whitecaps on the lake earlier in the week.

ALSO, Cascade Campground is an awesome campground in my opinion.  The older lady Bonnie running the site if very courteous and is always checking the sites making sure people are in the right spots.  For example, I pulled in friday night and someone was in my spot 65, so I parked in a vacant 64.  She ran into me saturday evening and offered me my $25 back, ONLY because I wasn't able to park in my spot 65.   Grin  It didn't matter to me what spot I parked in, as long as I had a spot, so we agreed on 3 free bags of Ice.  2 thumbs up for Cascade !

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/18/09 at 14:33:38
Quote Print Post  
I'll 2nd both Chris's on great weather, Cascade campground close and confy a little spendy but cheaper than staying 20 miles away, fishing was pretty good. Lost too many 4 + smallies and one over 5 could have sealed the win easily but thats fishing. Between my partner and I we bagged over 52 lbs of smallies for two days.

I to would have rather stuck 25 lbs a day at the lake south of Moses but a new lake was a new challenge that I know has some monster fish that was a great time.

Sad to see a light turn out, lowest first points turn out I have seen in 10 years - 21 boats 34 anglers, come on guys.

Russ

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/18/09 at 14:48:54
Quote Print Post  
I know what you mean about lost fish Russ.  I broke off a bed fish saturday that was looking like a 4 lber, then Susan later in the day in the same spot sticks a 3.8lb.  That would have been my 5th fish. 
Then sunday, it was my first hardcore bed fishing all year so I was a little rusty.  I went to bounce a jig off a bass and the darn hook stuck in him and I ended up snagging it, so I let it go at the boat to make it feel like it got away, never caught it again.  Then another fish went nose down and made some mouth movements, ended up hooking him outside the mouth.  You guys are lucky I'm an honest man, possible 23 lb sack gone bye bye  Embarrassed  It was alot of fun though !

AND I would like to thank Susan, she acted like Phil and let me take control since I had some good ones in the boat before she did.  She even spotted a nice cruiser for me that I caught.  What a net girl too !  I was lucky to net her best smallie, that fish was PO'd.  Thanks  !
« Last Edit: 05/18/09 at 16:44:56 by »  

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/18/09 at 16:04:18
Quote Print Post  
Chris,

Honesty, integrity, and a willingness to share advice, baits, sunglasses and fish seen on a beds and then given to your backseater is what makes a truly good sportsman, person in my eyes. I know what you mean I had 4 fish on saturday in the boat before my back seater did so I let him catch a 5lber on a bed that he did not even see. That fish would have given me an over 21 lb sack on saturday.

Ditto on Sunday saw beds way before my backseater and pointed to them to help him get his fish.

Anyone can fish by themselves and win these club events if they know what their doing, but the people who are willing to share and help others out that counts a whole lot more in my book.

Russ

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/18/09 at 16:11:14
Quote Print Post  
I also want to Thank Smitty for helping out at the weigh in and for not snoring too loudly so I could sleep.

Russ

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 05/18/09 at 16:28:05
Quote Print Post  
You are way TOO generous Mr. Baker.  Shocked  April didn't even need earplugs Cool, and O.D. was able to get two undisturbed nights of sleep. Huh

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/19/09 at 00:12:58
Quote Print Post  
sounds like a great time.  atta boy chris for fishing honest. 

troy

IP Logged

b_olson
Forum Member

Reply #9 - 05/19/09 at 00:27:48
Quote Print Post  
was a great time! i have not really fished for smallies on beds before, learnd a lot this weekend. yes my wing-man was not there, but i really got into my fishing zone. see you all at banks!

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #10 - 05/20/09 at 02:27:28
Quote Print Post  
It was a good weekend on Moses, was my first time on the lake with no prefishing time. I agree with Russ, and I too fished a good portion of day 1 to accomdate my back seater. I thank T-Dot for the big swim bait lessons. To see him skip them big trout swim baits under docks with a bait caster was very impressive. Wish he would have connected with the one follower he had.  Day 2 T-Dot was unable to fish due to illness, hope he doing good now! I had a good second day caught a good limit that got me pumped. Had a good time and learned much. Moses Lake has my vote.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #11 - 05/20/09 at 02:36:25
Quote Print Post  
Good to hear Rodney.  Lake selection voting is right around the corner, hope Moses is your pick  Cheesy  Just think about 8 and 9 lb Largemouth right before you vote.  lol

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

biggreen
Forum Member

Flippin Out

Reply #12 - 05/20/09 at 02:38:16
Quote Print Post  
Moses Lake was awesome and would blow Potholes out of the water any day! My point is how many anglers caught so many quality fish. I have never witnessed a club tourney with so many quality fish caught by so many anglers. well, except for me. Moses Lake is unbelievably alive and the potential for your next cast to produce a 9lb plus is incredible. Grin

I have never liked Moses until this trip and I will vote Moses over Potholes for next year and I can't wait to fish it again!!!  Grin

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/20/09 at 04:14:33
Quote Print Post  
As I was looking at the results, I noticed of course that the Hankinson twins did all right, (2nd and 3rd), but then I noticed that Tyler, Tanner, and Conner also impressively caught enough to all be in the middle of the pack!  Now I'm super impressed!  Some one tell me, did they fish with their dads?  Because if that is so - those Hankinson boats put a lot of fish in the boat!

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #14 - 05/20/09 at 12:27:45
Quote Print Post  
Rev,
 You saw correct.  Yes, Connor and Tanner fished w/ me and Tyler fished w/ Don.  On Saturday, we all had limits.  Connor culled a couple on Saturday as did Tyler.  We (The Hankinson Clan), between the 5 of us caught 25 SM for over 61 lbs. on Saturday alone.  ALL from the same shoreline!!!!!  My boat, Con, Tan and I did nothing but throw drop shot bolt grubs all weekend.  We fished just a bit deeper than polarized glasses would let you see knowing that the fish bed down to 9-10 ft and several boats were targeting the "skinny water beds".
 On Sunday, neither Con or Tan limited out, mainly because they both hooked and lost several fish and wewere fishing the same shoreline as Saturday!!!!  Over the weekend, we (The Hankinson Clan) weighed in over 100 lbs of SM!!!!!  A proud weekend for me.  I told the kids to do what I do and you'll both get limits, and they DID!
 A few firsts this tournament...... Con caught and weighed in his first limit, Tanner caught and weighed in her first 3 lb SM and 1st 4 lb LM and only her second tournament limit.
All in all, an amazing weekend!!!!!  Thanks to Phil for running a great tournament!!!!
 Lastly, the thing that impressed me the most about this entire weekend (besides the incredible fishing), not a single boat, truck, trailer or fisherman had a single problem the entire weekend!!!!!  Simply AWESOME!!!   See you all at Banks!

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo