Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wear your Life Jacket and Kill Switch (Read 3358 times)
Chris B.
WBC Member

Wear your Life Jacket and Kill Switch
05/13/09 at 02:07:11
Quote Print Post  
No one in our club has a bass boat quite like this that I know of, but it could happen to any of us !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

b_olson
Forum Member

Re: Wear your Life Jacket and Kill Switch
Reply #1 - 05/13/09 at 02:17:46
Quote Print Post  
wow! that guy is lucky. bet his wife broke his nose for him.

IP Logged

2000subaru
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/13/09 at 06:36:45
Quote Print Post  
In my best Napolean Dynamite voice..."Lucky"  Sounds like his injuries were minimal compared to what could have came from that accident.  Having not owned a boat long, I sometimes skip on the wearing of the PFD while out on the lake.  I have always used one for every club function that I have attended, and that got me thinking about wanting a comfortable PFD to wear at all times.  I pretty much used this type of accident as the reasoning behind the purchase of my new Mustang PFD.  It almost feels like I am not wearing one. 

P.S.-  Isn't jumping another boat's wake reserved for wakeboarders and jet ski's?

IP Logged

dilbert
Forum Member

Reply #3 - 05/13/09 at 13:01:51
Quote Print Post  
Wow

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #4 - 05/13/09 at 13:38:14
Quote Print Post  
I think he was testing a new boat or doing break-in/shake down video. scary none the less!

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/13/09 at 13:52:54
Quote Print Post  
This is why there should be a license to own and drive a bass boat.  Who drives across a boat wake at 70 mph at that angle?  This is not some freak accident, it should have been "culling of the herd"  Cool vid, but as a responsible boat driver, this guy makes all of our insurance rates go up.  I call him a dill weed....

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #6 - 05/13/09 at 14:08:49
Quote Print Post  
My sentiments exactly Kirk.  This guy should have his sperm culled from the gene pool. Smiley
On another note, that maneuver is exactly what happend to Mark Wells & I during an ABA "T" in the main channel on the Columbia directly across from the Weyerhouser pulp mill. Embarrassed  The only difference is that I wasn't pushing my Cobra any faster than 45 and neither of us left the boat when we impacted the water.  Rogue waves can come from anywhere.  This blockhead was looking for them. Smiley

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/13/09 at 15:18:13
Quote Print Post  
As Bill Engvall says, " Here's your Sign", some people just born stupid.

Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/13/09 at 15:34:41
Quote Print Post  
Wow - that is so scary. I rewound and watched that crash in full speed about 6 times, and the scariest part is I've seen that move at tournament blast-offs a bunch of times. I'd call it common. I am by no means saying it is right, but it should serve as a notice for us all to take it a little easier out there when we're excited to get to the first fishing hole of the morning.

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #9 - 05/14/09 at 00:39:53
Quote Print Post  
Stuck On Stupid..... this and many other vidios I have seen on youtube is more than plenty of reason to "cull much sperm from the gene pool".  I have found myself wearing my life preserver more and more every time my big motor is running, not just during club tourneys but all my fishing and have even waited for some of my non boating friends to vest up befor putting the boat in gear.  This video would be a good one to show at a club meeting with the nights topic of boating safety, with so many new members I think it would be good to have this as a topic.  To go even further, why not have a club meeting with a guest speaker from the Coast Gaurd who would do safety inspections of our boats as well as a boating safety class.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #10 - 05/14/09 at 17:20:54
Quote Print Post  
Can someone tell what make of boat that is? Is it just me or did that boat seem unstable even in flat water? Wonder if he had too much motor for that hull.
On the life vest I have seen many reports that most life vest will not always roll you on your back I have seen many reports that the inflatable ones will always turn you on your back. In the winter when I have heavy gear on I just leave mine on its easier that way & if I fall in then I will not drown because of heavy wet cloths. Summer I remove it but always wear it when running high speed.

*  Type I PFD - Off-Shore Life Jacket
         o Foam = 22 lbs. of flotation
         o Commercial style, reversible, easy to put on
         o Provides the most buoyancy
         o Effective for all waters - especially where rescue may be delayed
         o Designed to turn most unconscious wearers to a face-up position in the water
    * Type II PFD - Near-Shore Buoyancy Vest
         o Foam = 15.5 lbs. of flotation
         o Inflatable = 33.5 lbs. of flotation
         o Intended for calm, inland water or where a quick rescue is possible
         o Will turn some unconscious wearers to a face-up position in the water (turning is not as definite as with a Type I PFD)
    * Type III PFD - Flotation Aid
         o Foam = 15.5 lbs. of flotation
         o Inflatable = 22.5 lbs. of flotation
         o Both lightweight and comfortable
         o Good for conscious wearers in calm, inland water or where a quick rescue is possible
         o Designed so wearers can place themselves into a face-up position in the water (wearer may have to tilt head back to avoid flipping over)
         o Type III foam vest offers same minimum buoyancy as Type II PFD
         o Type III foam vest comes in many colors and sizes and is most comfortable for continuous wear
    * Type IV PFD - Throwable Device
         o 16 to 20 lbs. of floatation
         o Intended for calm, inland water with heavy boat traffic wear rescue is always possible
         o Designed to be thrown to a conscious person in the water to be held by user until rescued
         o Not to be worn
         o Type IV devices include buoyant cushions, ring buoys and horseshoe buoys
         o Should be used in conjunction with a wearable life jacket
    * Type V PFD - Special Use Device
         o Intended for specific activities
         o Should only be used in accordance with the approval condition(s) on its label

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #11 - 05/14/09 at 17:37:51
Quote Print Post  
I think that was a Legend 202 Dominator with a Hi-Perf Merc Racing engine.  I could be wrong but I think the 202 has an unlimited HP rating, though common sense would say a 225 or 250 would be more than adequate. Roll Eyes 

The boat seemed unstable because it was light and the driver was balancing the boat on it's pad.  If you closely look on a couple of the passes he makes, you can see the quick arm movements made by him trying to keep it balanced.  When a boat is off balance like that and then the water grabs a chine, it can do a 360* immediately as seen in the film,and any riders can usually kiss their a$$ goodbye Kiss.

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/14/09 at 18:10:09
Quote Print Post  
Jack and Henry know a little about doing 360's.

Russ

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/14/09 at 22:20:42
Quote Print Post  
The way he was driving it, I thought it was standard Triton driver's training..... Grin

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #14 - 05/14/09 at 22:52:55
Quote Print Post  
Grin GrinWHAT HE SAID Smiley

Smitty Smiley

AKA Dune Hopper

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo