Normal Topic Newest "re"member (Read 2097 times)
5dinks
WBC Board Member

2nd place is 1st LOSER!

Newest "re"member
05/08/09 at 01:32:42
Quote Print Post  
Something just struck me as funny. I noticed that I am called "the newest member". Even though I am probably one of the longest standing members around, being gone for 5 years, I don't hardly recognize but a few. The turnover of people, coming in and going out, really sets you back, when you think about it. How many of you remember Ed Shinkle having "heat stroke" at Scootney during weigh in, or, The TRUE Island Hoppers at Silver Lake, the fire racing down the shore at Potholes chasing down the campers (and catching them), The Jamboree (in all its glory) with the Trackers flooding and the boats sinking at the dock, wasn't around to see Phil shoot a hole through his boat, but, I've hunted with him, and, he is a "crack shot", so I am sure that was right where he was aiming! I remember "The Rev" asking me for "permission" to try and publish a story I wrote, and, 6 weeks later, got a $800 gift certificate from Bass Pro Shops, and a letter saying it would be published in Bassmaster Magazine, and it was. (November 1999 issue "Classic Bound").  Been at the tourney where Brian Walker ran around camp with a 10" black plastic worm drooped over his ear trying to swing his head around and catch it with his mouth. Think of Ed and Betty often, miss Scott Ramirez and all his shenanigans, Kirk, Liz and the "girls". I guess they are women now.  Blew an outboard on Lake Whatcom, and was with Phil when he blew his. (Beleive me, when an outboard stops turning NOW, so does the boat) Steve Helmick gave me a 18 pack of Corona (gave it away after a year of "priming" in my fridge cuz I don't drink) for tugging his boat off the island, after we spent an hour in the fog looking for him. Then to find out, that he wasn't alone. Another boat had parked directly beside him ON LAND!!!!!! I've seen Larry go through 4 boats that I can remeber, and had a talk with Phil about how good a shape his is still in. By the way, was there at The Sportsman Show when Phil, begged Sue to allow him to get "The first Triton in Washington". Hunted Elk with Kirk, deer with Phil and will cherish the times I spent with so many of you. Had the HONOR to be welcomed into Phils Moms House (may she and Phils Dad rest in peace). Had a phenomonal year fishing the ABA with Phil, catching a 6#8oz Smallie at the Lake Washington Tourney, not entering "big fish". (That cost us $1800). Was wed by The Rev, and very discreetly taught alot by Larry Gonczy. He taught you something, every time you spoke with him (if you paid attention)! Won my first WBC Tourney at Banks in June with a whopping 8 pounds for two days. Been skunked a hundred times at Silver, but, my brother, whom I have fished side by side with for 42 years goes down there and smokes em'! How does that work? Anyway, just don't feel like a "new member", until the last club meeting. I didn't know 1/3 of the people there. Looking forward to finding out who all these guys are. I did enjoy The Silver Draw Tourney, met and "back seated" with two great guys, who really made me feel welcome. Heres to all the NEW GUYS and I raise my hat to The OLD! If I see you at the lake, a Tourney, or whatever and don't say "HI", it is not Ron being rude, I really don't know you! Please introduce yourself to me. See you all at Moses! Good Fishing! Phil, Brian, myself and Ron are heading to Silver to get skunked on Saturday, and "proof my "new" boat".  I told Ron the only reason I like going down there, is because I always see deer on the way down!!!!! Good fishing to all of you! See ya on the water!!  One more thing, can someone tell me how to view(and where) all the club photos that used to be on the site?

Sponsors:    One of the 5 original members of Team Ass Pocket, New truck, 2nd hand Triton boat (Thanks Willie at NIXONS MARINE), used truck camper with used F150 (everything is paid for), misc rods and reels, endorsed by MY WIFE and sponsored by a 9-5 job.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: Newest "re"member
Reply #1 - 05/08/09 at 04:22:50
Quote Print Post  
A Very Welcome Back Don!!!! as for the pictures, we are working on that subject as we speak and it should be up soon.

p.s.

RE-TREAD!!!!!
« Last Edit: 05/08/09 at 14:29:37 by Larry S. »  

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 05/08/09 at 14:27:34
Quote Print Post  
Very very nice thread Don.  Your sentimental musings brought back a ton of good memories and strong reasons not to leave WBC and join a new club in the Tri-Cities when I retire next month.  I want to keep on making new memories with my old club, and therefore I'll be fishing with all of you every time you all visit the "Dry Side".

Smitty Wink
AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/09/09 at 01:24:05
Quote Print Post  
Welcome back Don...We've missed you........Aren't memories just great.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck Pigue

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/09/09 at 06:16:27
Quote Print Post  
Ha! Good memories!  I remember when you and your brother came to your first tournament at Silver Lake and I thought to myself "Why are they fishing there.  Someone ought to tell those new guys there are no fish along that shoreline.  Oh well, they'll learn."  And then you smoked us and I learned that sometimes "knowing a lake" can sometimes get in your way of trying new things, places, and techniques. 

I also remember when someone came up with the idea of having your wedding out on the lake with everyone in boats.  Needless to say your wife nixed that one! HA!  The memories of Larry Gonczy... Phil's open season on boat batteries... the stranded boats - can't help but laugh!  Good times!  I, for one, am tickled to death to have you back!  "Turn over" is just a natural part of EVERY organization in our modern history - but as you get older it's always cool when someone else can share the same memories from way back when!  Here's to making more!  Good to have you back.

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #5 - 05/09/09 at 13:02:13
Quote Print Post  
Great thread
John Holland

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/11/09 at 14:15:35
Quote Print Post  
Welcome back, Don.  It has been a wild ride.  While the memories can get thick, I want to recall a couple of others.  Ed Shinkle losing a fish out of his livewell at Banks.  Jumped right out at the dock.  Seeing Dave Jarrel's daughter asleep in the rod locker of his Skeeter at the Jamboree.  She must have learned to do that from Lyle.  Cannot count the times I have seen his boat, seemingly floating empty, only to find him sacked out on a warm spring day in the bottom of his boat.  The Silver Lake fiasco, my first event as TD, sending you and Ron on a boat find at 6am while trying to keep Brian W. from blowing his air horn at the dock with a full motel right behind us.  Smitty and Ramirez having epic arguments at the potlucks over fish scents and whether Black Velvet was the best Canadian whiskey.  Watching Scott lose his truck on a slippery ramp in September at Moses, yes, the same ramp we will be using this week-end.  He backed his rig down on a ramp covered in that perpetual green slime, putting it in park and setting the brake to launch only to slowly see his rig skid all the way to the floor of his pick-up and his dog was swimming in the bed of his truck inside his canopy.  I don't think I have ever seen panic manifest itself in slow motion before, but after it was all done, we laughed until the tears flowed.  You missed an epic season last year all in one tornament.  I think Smitty, aka "dune hopper", was attempting to set a new shallow water record at the September Potholes event, ultimately spending the day in Crab Creek with Odie.  While that was quite the visual, the rescue team was all excited to save the day, but Troy saved the day.  Mr. O'Day also had issues that day, and while I missed it, I have heard that Phil is a take charge guy and Brian likes to play Navy Seal during his off hours.  There are dozens more, but those came immediately to mind.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 05/11/09 at 15:30:43
Quote Print Post  
I didn't realize Scottie's dog was inside the canopy Kirk.  That makes the memories of the incident even better.  We still argue about the Canadian Whiskey whenever I stop at his house on the way to Shasta or Clear Lake.  We argue until one or the other of us buys!! Cheesy
I wish Scott was going to be here for the drivers meeting at 5:15 AM on Saturday, just to hear him mumbling under his breath about something while Phil is trying to talk.  We could be creating more memories. 
I'm sure the current crew is fully capable of creating their own, having watched the antics of a few members who can remain anonymous at this time. Roll Eyes

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

5dinks
WBC Board Member

2nd place is 1st LOSER!

Reply #8 - 05/12/09 at 03:04:33
Quote Print Post  
It sure is good to hear that "everyone" is still around. Can't wait to see a bunch of you. Hopefully there will be a good turnout at Mo Hole this weekend. Even if the fishing sucks, we should have a great weekend just "catching up". Hope to see ya all there!

Sponsors:    One of the 5 original members of Team Ass Pocket, New truck, 2nd hand Triton boat (Thanks Willie at NIXONS MARINE), used truck camper with used F150 (everything is paid for), misc rods and reels, endorsed by MY WIFE and sponsored by a 9-5 job.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo