Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another Store Bites the Dust (Read 4324 times)
DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Another Store Bites the Dust
04/09/09 at 14:48:03
Quote Print Post  
From the Tri-Cities Herald:  BUSINESS:

Joe' s stores going out of business
By The Associated Press and Herald staff

Store managers for Joe’s Sports, Outdoor & More say their stores will be turned over to liquidators as soon as this week.

The 30-store chain employs about 1,500 people in the Pacific Northwest, owes creditors nearly $13 million and has filed for protection under federal bankruptcy laws.

Corporate officials did not immediately return phone calls Wednesday.

"At some point Thursday we no longer will be Joe’s," said Scott Brewer, sales manager at the Kennewick store. The Wilsonville, Ore.-based company will be sold to a liquidator, he said. That means about 40 people will be out of job in the Tri-Cities, he said.

In Medford, store manager Mike Murphy told the Mail Tribune newspaper the chain is discontinuing all services and that people with gift cards should use them by Thursday. He said that beyond that there are no guarantees.

In Albany, store manager Michael Potter told the Democrat-Herald that liquidation would begin when an official announcement is made, possibly by Friday.

Sad day for the NW Cry

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: Another Store Bites the Dust
Reply #1 - 04/09/09 at 15:18:54
Quote Print Post  
I purchased a lot of jackets,shirts, glasses from this place. It will be missed Cry Cry. It was also a good place to get camping gear.

Russ

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 04/09/09 at 16:08:55
Quote Print Post  
I loved Joes.  Trolling motors, Trojan batteries, Columbia clothing, auto cleaning stuff, they had it all. 

Anyone know, since they are going down, will they sell demo reels and such at a discount ?  Can't hurt to ask.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/09/09 at 16:28:54
Quote Print Post  
Chris,

Your a shark just waiting to pounce Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Russ

IP Logged

Bass In Ya Fass
Forum Member

Insert picture of large
bass here...someday.

Reply #4 - 04/09/09 at 18:21:37
Quote Print Post  
Nothing wrong with looking at the bright side all the time instead of paying attention to all this bu&&$^#% media dragging everybody down right? 

Face the facts, the economy is what you make of it and, unfortunately, most people are making it worse than it is.  My theory is that if we had all just "chosen not to participate" and went about our normal business then stores like Joes wouldn't be having these issues and there wouldn't be the trickle down effect of layoffs...anybody agree?  Besides, Auburn Sports, OE, and the little guys might get more business now.  In short, everybody needs to get back to their usual routine of spending and this will all go away...I think.

Off my soapbox now...way to call him out Russ! Grin Grin Grin Grin It's what I would have said too honestly!

Sponsorships:&&Uh....Just me!
IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #5 - 04/09/09 at 18:40:23
Quote Print Post  
Hey, I'm just trying to get a $369 reel for a little less  Embarrassed  haha.  I spent plenty there over the years.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/10/09 at 00:05:41
Quote Print Post  
sad indeed.  i would love to go about my bussiness as usual and buy lots of goodies.  but the reality is if i lose my job tommorrow i want a little money in the bank...

troy

IP Logged

8ball
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/10/09 at 02:10:10
Quote Print Post  
Actually guys, it has nothing to do with us. Blame the banks. Because of what AIG did and the rest of them the banks have decided not to extend credit these companies to purchase merchandise to sell. Hence, stores like Joe's and Boaters World cannot buy stock for their stores and they can't sell what they don't have. Then, they can't pay for the stuff they already bought on credit so they are sold to liquidators, who team up by the way, because it is cheaper. The liquidators buy out at pennies on the dollar  and sell at a huge profit and the that's that. No more Joe's, no more Boaters World etc. And that is permanent. The really sad part is the banks are still in business because we are bailing them out. I'd rather bail out Joe's.  >:(

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #8 - 04/10/09 at 04:34:17
Quote Print Post  
Joe's has been a pretty good store, I've found many a good deal there.  I was just in there Monday, Lakewood store, got me some treble hooks and ask when a certain size was to be restocked and wasn't given an answer.  I was looking for some Pro Latch Plano 3700 boxes, they had none.  I have now found that Cabela's has the best price on them now. The old saying goes, the cream rises to the top, in these tough times it will be sad to see some of these local stores go.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Bass In Ya Fass
Forum Member

Insert picture of large
bass here...someday.

Reply #9 - 04/10/09 at 06:17:40
Quote Print Post  
So what you are saying is that Joe's/Boaters/etc's lines of credit are all filled up and they cannot pay off their debt to purchase new merchandise?  I guess we should go spend a little money and help them free up some capital :).  I too believe that the bailout money was completely mishandled, but that doesn't change the fact that 99% of America is running around terrified about the economy instead of realizing that we are the only ones who can bring this country back onto its feet...ESPECIALLY entrepreneurs and small business.  Most people will just go with the crowd and believe everything they watch on the news...wish we could just silence the media for a year or so.  I am NOT anti-government, but you would think they might consult with some experts before they start making rules and giving away money...guess that didn't cross their mind.  I could tell you about all kinds of regulation that is coming down in my industry that is actually WORSE for the consumer, but again, nobody asked an expert so they'll find out the hard way and change it after people have already been hurt.

If I keep going on this, I'll never stop, so should probably just choose not to participate any further...blogs and heated discussions are my weakness these days.  I'll catch up soon!

-MC

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #10 - 04/10/09 at 06:34:19
Quote Print Post  
I hate to see this happen especially to a local company.  I work at Acura of Seattle and our business has been tough too, but we've been going up while others are folding.  It's survival of the fittest right now.  You can't take anything for granted anymore.  Employers are finding ways to do more with less.  Eventhough we are going through a rough time, it's not as bad as the media is saying it is.  I had more people paying cash for cars last month than any months in a year.  Have you ever gone to Cheesecake Factory or Olive Garden lately?  They've been packed with people.  So it aint as bad as we think it is.  It's all about perception.  

I say...if you are not fishing, then go make money or spend money.   

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #11 - 04/10/09 at 14:41:36
Quote Print Post  
Fish enough and you will have to buy new line, reels, rods, hooks, baits, senkos, jerk baits, crank baits, jigs, weights, nets, rain gear, gas for boat, new trolling motor, new boat, food to eat while fishing........ we all need to fish more.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #12 - 04/10/09 at 16:03:15
Quote Print Post  
MMMM  Olive Garden.  You sure know how to upsell Says.   Cheesy

Called around, 10% off fishing gear at all locations.  They must not want the stuff to move quick.
I'm praying for a big coupon in the sunday paper.
« Last Edit: 04/10/09 at 17:27:53 by Chris B. »  

IP Logged

Bass In Ya Fass
Forum Member

Insert picture of large
bass here...someday.

Reply #13 - 04/10/09 at 22:51:53
Quote Print Post  
My wife and I have thought about taking a picture for the front page of the Seattle Times.  If any of you have driven anywhere near Westfield Shopping Town aka Southcenter, the first words out of your mouth will likely be WHAT RECESSION??!!   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

8ball
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/10/09 at 23:11:08
Quote Print Post  
I agree with you 100%, MC, But you have to remember that ever since the 60's or even before that, the media has driven public opinion and right now it is a very left wing media driving that opinion. People believe everything the read or hear from the media. 
As far as the 10% off deal, that is how they do it. They don't care how long it takes. they set a date to close and gradully work their discounts to that date. Soon it will be 30 - 50% off. and then there will be all the stuff they can't sell until it is 75% off . and then they will wholesale the rest and done deal, see ya later Joe's.
Don't get me started!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo